Start by marking “Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope” as Want to Read:
Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope

Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  5,835 ratings  ·  810 reviews
Meet Laura Van Ryn and Whitney Cerak: one buried under the wrong name, one in a coma and being cared for by the wrong family.

This shocking case of mistaken identity stunned the country and made national news. Would it destroy a family? Shatter their faith? Push two families into bitterness, resentment, and guilt?

Read this unprecedented story of two traumatized families w
Published March 25th 2008 by Simon and Schuster (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mistaken Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistaken Identity

The Tarnished Shooter by Charles JamesFrench Illusions by Linda Kovic-SkowThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonDetour from Normal by Ken DicksonIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Non-Fiction that reads like fiction
33rd out of 114 books — 147 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Books I Regret Reading
497th out of 1,494 books — 3,010 voters

More lists with this book...

Petra Xtra Crunchy
It took me a couple of hours to read this book where the central question was never answered. Two girls from good Christian families (much is made of this, but I can't see how the book would have been any different - other than thinner - if they'd been atheists) were in a car crash. One was killed and buried without her parents ever seeing her presumably-mangled body. The other lived but was in a coma. The two girls were the same age, both blue-eyed blonde types and from the pictures, quite simi ...more
Tara
Not what I expected at all. I was really excited to read this book- I love true stories, and what a crazy chain of events that led one family to believe that they were caring for this girl who is their daughter, sister, friend.. only to find out after 5 weeks that their daughter died in the car accident, and this is a girl they don't even know. And the other family, thinking their daughter is dead, holding a funeral and burial for her, only to find out 5 weeks later that she is alive. How does t ...more
Bree
The story itself is fascinating - I remember it from the news when it happened, and as soon as I saw there was a book about it, I knew I had to read about it from the families' views.

But, but, but. Ugh. I would have LOVED the book if it hadn't been so preachy. I'm a religious person, but I don't believe in the same way that they do. And that was like 3/4 of the book...

I can understand that they used prayer and their faith as the way to deal...my son was in the hospital and I did too. But it was
Lindsay Downing
This book is absolutely touching. Be prepared to cry!
Cam
Aug 19, 2008 Cam added it
Shelves: 2008
Cheryl
I was drawn to this story after seeing part of an interview on Oprah. As an avid reader of true life stories I was interested in founding out more about this tragic event. Instead I got more of a lesson on the family's version of Christianity. I am sure that the families involved are all lovely people who then shared a tragedy that I could not imagine. I also have a daughter the same age as Whitney so I felt I may have connected with the story in some way. However this book was not well written ...more
Leslie
I thought this was an amazing story about this crazy event. The thing that got me to read it was the prologue.

Here's a quote from the prologue: "The story of how two girls, Laura Van Ryn and WhitneyCerak, could be mistaken for each other may seem fantastic and unbelievagle, yet that's not the real story here. This book is really about how God has sustained two families through His grace. We hope after al that is said on these pages, you see it is really all about Him."

I was amazed at the faith
Loraine
SUMMARY: This ia a non-fiction book covering the Taylor University tragedy in which 5 people were killed in an auto accident and one survived in critical condition. Due to circumstances, the survivor was identified as Laura Van Ryn and it isn't until 6 weeks later that they realize that the young woman is in reality Whitney Cerak. Incredible story of two families who have a deep abiding faith and the journey they traveled.

REVIEW: This story has a personal connection for me and I found it very mo
Dixie
My favorite part: "At the end of the movie, Hank's character says to Private Ryan with his dying breath something like, "Earn this." It's like he's telling Private Ryan to do something so special with his life that it will make other soldiers' deaths worth it. That's the kind of how I felt when people told me how God must have some great purpose in mind for me. I started to think that if I didn't do something amazing with my life, then I was letting God and everyone in the accident down.

One day
Eleanor
You probably remember this story from the news: a van carrying a group of students from Taylor University is involved in a horrible crash with five dead. After 5 weeks, it is discovered that there had been an error in identification, and that Laura Van Ryn, whose family had been by her side 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, was actually Whitney Cerak.

Let that sink in a minute. The Cerak family had buried "Whitney" weeks earlier, and her mother, Colleen, gets a phone call at 2:00 a.m. saying that t
Elizabeth
I made the mistake of reading some of the other reviews before writing my own. I am shocked by the insensitiviy and callousness of some people. It's one thing to not like the book, it's another to criticize and condemn people who have suffered through this. It seems to be a recurring theme for me lately.
Anyway, I started reading this book last night and finished it this morning. Many times I was brought to tears and inspired by the love and devotion people can have for one another. There is a lo
Meggin
This was an unbelievable story! A van carry several college students was hit head-on by a semi, and 5 of the students died. One girl (Whitney) was thrown 50 feet from the van, and became comatose. The purse of another girl (Laura) was found next to her. After looking at the drivers license, the authorities assumed that she was the girl in the photo. In reality, the girl who the purse actually belonged to was one of the students who was killed. So, Whitney, the girl who was comatose, was believed ...more
Steven
Rarely have I read such a page-turner. Have a look at the premise behind this true story and you can see how hard it would be to put down.

The book begins with the usual prologue "in media res," or in the middle of the action. Then it backs up to a time before the tragic accident that led to a victim who survived the accident being mistaken for one who did not, and vice versa. The family of the survivor had a funeral and buried a body (which they had not seen, wishing to remember her the way she
Michelle
What grabbed my interest in reading this book was the fact that it was written by the family of the accident victims. Unfortunately, this also lead to he main reason for disliking the book. I expected that faith would be extensively discussed, in regards to grief, throught the book. Both families are religious and its natural for them to turn towards their faith during difficult times.

However, faith ended up being a heavier topic than the actual accident, IMO. The faith of the families was explo
Becky
I just saw an interview of some of the family members with Matt Lauer on the 3 year anniversary of the accident. He said two things that impressed me: 1. Many people are moved by the story of the family, but the most moving part of their story is their faith. 2. He has interviewed many families over the years, but he has been more impressed with these two families than by any other families he has ever interviewed. What a testimony!

If you haven't read this book yet, you must!
Greenyogurt
Jul 13, 2008 Greenyogurt added it
Recommends it for: pretty much nobody
Recommended to Greenyogurt by: found at library
It was okay. I was interested enough to finish it, but I couldn't really suggest it in good faith. There are way more interesting things to be reading.

What I learned from this book is that I still have issues with people who are very religious, and should not be face to face with them for too long, as at some point they will mention their faith and then I will roll my eyes, and then they will be offended.
Martha Locker
This book is about a van with students and staff from Taylor University that are in a serious car accident that resulted in five deaths. Two of the students are close to the same size, have blond hair, and look similar. One of these girls was thrown 50 feet out of the van and was identified due to the purse that was close to her, which actually belonged to the other girl. Whitney Cerak's family was notified of her death. The family of the other girl Laura Van Ryn was notified that she was in the ...more
Cindy
I bought this book for a dollar. I am vaguely familiar with this story in the news, and the book coming out - shelved as it was in Christian inspiration or some such section, I never did more than find it for people interested in reading it.

I was looking for something quick (prior to this, I had been listening to the entire George RR Martin Song of Ice and Fire books - approximately 160 hours of epic fantasy) and based in reality. I figured I could stand this - and the ramifications of the stor
Laurie Armstrong
This is the story of the university students who were in a bus accident. Many died and two girls were mixed up. One family thought their daughter was dead and buried her. The other stayed by what they thought was their daughters' side only to discover she wasn't their daughter and that their daughter had actually been buried.

Both families have a very strong faith and it overpowered the book. I didn't actually read the entire book. I had to skim through the first half as it was a bit over the top
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
I'm not an overly religious person, so there were aspects of this book that I struggled with. Religion is something that is incredibly important to both families.

The story is told very simply, but I felt sorry that Laura's parents didn't seem to feel the same way as Lisa did when they found that Whitney was Laura (she didn't want Whitney to feel that they had abandoned her). So there seems to be parts that are missing from the story (maybe they were too personal to include.

It did make me think o
Jennifer Wardrip
A very emotional and inspiring read, although there were times I was sidetracked by the religious references. I understand that both families used their faith to get them through this devastating time, but I didn't realize that was going to be the basis of the story when I started.

That said, though, this is a really good story. I recommend reading it along with Jacquelyn Mitchard's ALL WE KNOW OF HEAVEN, which, although not drawn specifically from this story, shares several similarities and is a
Jessie Hansell
I expected this book to be full of emotion and truth. While the book was inspirational, I had no opportunity to truly understand the families because we were given one side of all of them - a positive side. While I admire both families' strength, I know that there had to be some darkness given such a difficult situation. I would have felt more connected to all of them if that was shared.

This picture perfect tale of a heart-wrenching event left me void of emotion. Not at all what I was expecting.
Ginger Greve
This is really an incredible story. And as we're told in the prologue, it's really more about the faith of these two families than about the actual incident itself. That concept may frustrate readers who are trying to figure out why it took so long for the identity to be discovered, and still not really feel like they were given the answer. I asked myself so many times while reading, how could they not know? Why aren't they picking up on the signs? She looks so similar, but don't you see what's ...more
Emily Miller
This book about these two amazingly, faithful families is truely just inspiring. It's such a touching story to me, and to think that it happened in Indiana in what seems to be not too long ago hurts my haeart for these two families even more. This is what happened. On April 26th, 2006 a group of Taylor University students were traveling back to Taylor in a 15 passenger van carrying nine students. The van then collided with two other vehicles; a semi and a SUV on interstate 69, here in Indiana. A ...more
Shirley
The story about is about two college girls whose identities were confused after an auto accident. One died, one in a coma. It took five weeks for the parents to figure it out. Very interesting story. The families were devout Christians whose faith helped them through this trial. However, I think the book was written to minister, rather than tell a story. I got tired of reading about everyone's prayers, even though I don't doubt the sincerity.
Tawnya
I was excited to read this book. I knew it would be inspirational and I really wanted to hear each family's side of the story. I just couldn't get past the praying. Every other sentence was about praying. And hey-I think praying is important and I know I'd be praying every second of every day if I were in the same situation, but I don't want to read about it. Maybe I was just in a callous mood, but I had to walk away from this one.
Julie
Oct 30, 2008 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Gail from my Bible Study
The only reason I didn't give this book 5 stars was because I cried too much. I loved this book - it makes you think twice about what's really important in life. Everyone should balance out their reading list with a heavy one like this.
Karen
This book is about 2 girls that are in a car accident and one dies and one lives - their identities got mixed up and later on they found out the true identity - I don't know how you could do this but I guess it happens
Lisa
This book was EXCELLENT!!! Very spiritual. It really made me think about my faith. These families showed me that God really does have a plan for all of us and that you can get through anything if you rely on God.
Wendy
Wow. What a bittersweet, heart wrenching story! It was one of the fastest books Ive read. I was brought not just to tears but silent sobs reading this. These families are an inspiration. <3
Book Club.. each ...: Mistaken Identity 4 11 Oct 04, 2013 10:40AM
Christian Readers: Mistaken Identity 2 9 Aug 05, 2013 08:07AM
  • Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage
  • Prisoners of Hope: The Story of Our Captivity and Freedom in Afghanistan
  • Steve & Me
  • Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line
  • Choosing to SEE
  • I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy
  • In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing
  • In the Presence of My Enemies
  • For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice
  • Unlikely Angel: The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage Hero
  • Inconceivable
  • Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
  • Still Lolo: A Spinning Propeller, a Horrific Accident, and a Family's Journey of Hope
  • The Butterfly Garden: Surviving Childhood on the Run with One of America's Most Wanted
  • Misconception: One Couple's Journey from Embryo Mix-up to Miracle Baby