Start by marking “Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope” as Want to Read:
Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope

Mistaken Identity: Two Families, One Survivor, Unwavering Hope

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  7,336 Ratings  ·  900 Reviews
Meet Laura Van Ryn and Whitney Cerak: one buried under the wrong name, one in a coma and being cared for by the wrong family.

This shocking case of mistaken identity stunned the country and made national news. Would it destroy a family? Shatter their faith? Push two families into bitterness, resentment, and guilt?

Read this unprecedented story of two traumatized families w
Published March 25th 2008 by Simon and Schuster (first published 2008)

Petra Eggs
Jun 13, 2008 Petra Eggs rated it did not like it
It took me a couple of hours to read this book where the central question was never answered. Two girls from good Christian families (much is made of this, but I can't see how the book would have been any different - other than thinner - if they'd been atheists) were in a car crash. One was killed and buried without her parents ever seeing her presumably-mangled body. The other lived but was in a coma. The two girls were the same age, both blue-eyed blonde types and from the pictures, quite simi ...more
Tara
Apr 06, 2012 Tara rated it it was ok
Not what I expected at all. I was really excited to read this book- I love true stories, and what a crazy chain of events that led one family to believe that they were caring for this girl who is their daughter, sister, friend.. only to find out after 5 weeks that their daughter died in the car accident, and this is a girl they don't even know. And the other family, thinking their daughter is dead, holding a funeral and burial for her, only to find out 5 weeks later that she is alive. How does t ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I made the mistake of reading some of the other reviews before writing my own. I am shocked by the insensitiviy and callousness of some people. It's one thing to not like the book, it's another to criticize and condemn people who have suffered through this. It seems to be a recurring theme for me lately.
Anyway, I started reading this book last night and finished it this morning. Many times I was brought to tears and inspired by the love and devotion people can have for one another. There is a lo
Bree
May 27, 2008 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, 2008
The story itself is fascinating - I remember it from the news when it happened, and as soon as I saw there was a book about it, I knew I had to read about it from the families' views.

But, but, but. Ugh. I would have LOVED the book if it hadn't been so preachy. I'm a religious person, but I don't believe in the same way that they do. And that was like 3/4 of the book...

I can understand that they used prayer and their faith as the way to deal...my son was in the hospital and I did too. But it was
Cheryl
Sep 26, 2010 Cheryl rated it did not like it
I was drawn to this story after seeing part of an interview on Oprah. As an avid reader of true life stories I was interested in founding out more about this tragic event. Instead I got more of a lesson on the family's version of Christianity. I am sure that the families involved are all lovely people who then shared a tragedy that I could not imagine. I also have a daughter the same age as Whitney so I felt I may have connected with the story in some way. However this book was not well written ...more
Cam
Aug 19, 2008 Cam added it
Shelves: 2008
Leslie
May 28, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it
I thought this was an amazing story about this crazy event. The thing that got me to read it was the prologue.

Here's a quote from the prologue: "The story of how two girls, Laura Van Ryn and WhitneyCerak, could be mistaken for each other may seem fantastic and unbelievagle, yet that's not the real story here. This book is really about how God has sustained two families through His grace. We hope after al that is said on these pages, you see it is really all about Him."

I was amazed at the faith
Lindsay Downing
Apr 03, 2008 Lindsay Downing rated it really liked it
This book is absolutely touching. Be prepared to cry!
Dixie
Jul 31, 2011 Dixie rated it it was amazing
My favorite part: "At the end of the movie, Hank's character says to Private Ryan with his dying breath something like, "Earn this." It's like he's telling Private Ryan to do something so special with his life that it will make other soldiers' deaths worth it. That's the kind of how I felt when people told me how God must have some great purpose in mind for me. I started to think that if I didn't do something amazing with my life, then I was letting God and everyone in the accident down.

One day
Loraine
Jan 07, 2014 Loraine rated it it was amazing
SUMMARY: This ia a non-fiction book covering the Taylor University tragedy in which 5 people were killed in an auto accident and one survived in critical condition. Due to circumstances, the survivor was identified as Laura Van Ryn and it isn't until 6 weeks later that they realize that the young woman is in reality Whitney Cerak. Incredible story of two families who have a deep abiding faith and the journey they traveled.

REVIEW: This story has a personal connection for me and I found it very mo
Debra Johnson oliver
Apr 26, 2017 Debra Johnson oliver rated it really liked it
I kept wondering how could you not know your own child and yet when the only other possibility is that that child is gone forever I understand seeing what you want to be true. My heart aches for both families and yet I find reading a book that quotes scripture throughout and praises God even in the storm to be uplifting and inspiring. Thank you Van Ryns and Ceraks for sharing this journey.
Eleanor
Jan 21, 2009 Eleanor rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
You probably remember this story from the news: a van carrying a group of students from Taylor University is involved in a horrible crash with five dead. After 5 weeks, it is discovered that there had been an error in identification, and that Laura Van Ryn, whose family had been by her side 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, was actually Whitney Cerak.

Let that sink in a minute. The Cerak family had buried "Whitney" weeks earlier, and her mother, Colleen, gets a phone call at 2:00 a.m. saying that t
Steven
May 13, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
Rarely have I read such a page-turner. Have a look at the premise behind this true story and you can see how hard it would be to put down.

The book begins with the usual prologue "in media res," or in the middle of the action. Then it backs up to a time before the tragic accident that led to a victim who survived the accident being mistaken for one who did not, and vice versa. The family of the survivor had a funeral and buried a body (which they had not seen, wishing to remember her the way she
Eva
Aug 04, 2009 Eva rated it did not like it
This is a true story about a horific accident involving a semi-truck and a college van in which several people were killed. The story focuses on two of the girls--Whitney Cerak, the one who died and the other, Laura Van Ryn, who did not. When the accident first happened, Laura was severely injured and her head was completely bandaged up. Her blond hair was poking out through the bandages and her eyes were blue so how would anyone know that it was not really Laura? Once the the bandages came off ...more
Meggin
May 08, 2008 Meggin rated it liked it
This was an unbelievable story! A van carry several college students was hit head-on by a semi, and 5 of the students died. One girl (Whitney) was thrown 50 feet from the van, and became comatose. The purse of another girl (Laura) was found next to her. After looking at the drivers license, the authorities assumed that she was the girl in the photo. In reality, the girl who the purse actually belonged to was one of the students who was killed. So, Whitney, the girl who was comatose, was believed ...more
Michelle
Sep 09, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
What grabbed my interest in reading this book was the fact that it was written by the family of the accident victims. Unfortunately, this also lead to he main reason for disliking the book. I expected that faith would be extensively discussed, in regards to grief, throught the book. Both families are religious and its natural for them to turn towards their faith during difficult times.

However, faith ended up being a heavier topic than the actual accident, IMO. The faith of the families was explo
Laurie Armstrong
Mar 27, 2009 Laurie Armstrong rated it did not like it
This is the story of the university students who were in a bus accident. Many died and two girls were mixed up. One family thought their daughter was dead and buried her. The other stayed by what they thought was their daughters' side only to discover she wasn't their daughter and that their daughter had actually been buried.

Both families have a very strong faith and it overpowered the book. I didn't actually read the entire book. I had to skim through the first half as it was a bit over the top
Becky
Oct 30, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
I just saw an interview of some of the family members with Matt Lauer on the 3 year anniversary of the accident. He said two things that impressed me: 1. Many people are moved by the story of the family, but the most moving part of their story is their faith. 2. He has interviewed many families over the years, but he has been more impressed with these two families than by any other families he has ever interviewed. What a testimony!

If you haven't read this book yet, you must!
Greenyogurt
Jul 13, 2008 Greenyogurt added it
Recommends it for: pretty much nobody
Recommended to Greenyogurt by: found at library
It was okay. I was interested enough to finish it, but I couldn't really suggest it in good faith. There are way more interesting things to be reading.

What I learned from this book is that I still have issues with people who are very religious, and should not be face to face with them for too long, as at some point they will mention their faith and then I will roll my eyes, and then they will be offended.
Lisa
May 03, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book was EXCELLENT!!! Very spiritual. It really made me think about my faith. These families showed me that God really does have a plan for all of us and that you can get through anything if you rely on God.
Jessie Smette
Jun 08, 2017 Jessie Smette rated it it was amazing
This has been on my list of books to read for a while, truly because the premise of this true story fascinates me: two girls involved in a car accident, one lives, one does not, were misidentified at the scene and not switched back until five weeks later. What I wasn't expecting is that this book isn't a recounting of truly unbelievable events and circumstances, but a testimony to what God has done in the lives of these two families. I sincerely recommend this book.
Teri
May 15, 2017 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would not presume to pass judgment on what a family member believes or doesn't during extreme stress. Certainly, the heartache of losing a child serves as extreme stress. It is, however, a good story for an abbreviated People Magazine article but a little stretched for a book.
Catherine
Jun 22, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
I'm surprised at all the reviewers who were upset with the fact that this book had so much religion in it because they say right in the prologue, "Whitney shared how she was beginning to see how God could use this story for the greater good." If they didn't want to read about God's love, scriptures, and how these two families allowed God to help them through this difficult time, they should have stopped reading the book at the end of the prologue. Even that back of the book tells of both familie ...more
Cindy
Jan 25, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, non-fiction, memoir
I bought this book for a dollar. I am vaguely familiar with this story in the news, and the book coming out - shelved as it was in Christian inspiration or some such section, I never did more than find it for people interested in reading it.

I was looking for something quick (prior to this, I had been listening to the entire George RR Martin Song of Ice and Fire books - approximately 160 hours of epic fantasy) and based in reality. I figured I could stand this - and the ramifications of the stor
Kirsten Nault
Oct 07, 2016 Kirsten Nault rated it it was amazing
April 26, 2006, a day with only one survivor and two families. On April 26,2006, a crash occurred with a semi and a Taylor University College bus full of nine people. Not knowing that on the way home eight different families would have to bury their loved ones. Not knowing that on the way home they would have to identify who everyone was.
Laura and Whitney were two of the nine people that were on the Taylor University College bus that day. Both blondes and both very loved people. This crash hit
Roger Bailey
I clearly remembered hearing about this case of mistaken identity in news broadcasts and when I came across this book I thought it would be interesting to learn something about the details of the case. I got the details and it could have been really interesting. The problem was that the book was filled with religious preaching. I detest religion and I detest books that push the superstitious nonsense. As I read it I kept thinking that I might give it a star for actually telling the story that I ...more
Martha Locker
Jun 16, 2013 Martha Locker rated it it was amazing
This book is about a van with students and staff from Taylor University that are in a serious car accident that resulted in five deaths. Two of the students are close to the same size, have blond hair, and look similar. One of these girls was thrown 50 feet out of the van and was identified due to the purse that was close to her, which actually belonged to the other girl. Whitney Cerak's family was notified of her death. The family of the other girl Laura Van Ryn was notified that she was in the ...more
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
I'm not an overly religious person, so there were aspects of this book that I struggled with. Religion is something that is incredibly important to both families.

The story is told very simply, but I felt sorry that Laura's parents didn't seem to feel the same way as Lisa did when they found that Whitney was Laura (she didn't want Whitney to feel that they had abandoned her). So there seems to be parts that are missing from the story (maybe they were too personal to include.

It did make me think o
Jessie Hansell
Jun 19, 2012 Jessie Hansell rated it did not like it
I expected this book to be full of emotion and truth. While the book was inspirational, I had no opportunity to truly understand the families because we were given one side of all of them - a positive side. While I admire both families' strength, I know that there had to be some darkness given such a difficult situation. I would have felt more connected to all of them if that was shared.

This picture perfect tale of a heart-wrenching event left me void of emotion. Not at all what I was expecting.
Jennifer Wardrip
May 07, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it liked it
A very emotional and inspiring read, although there were times I was sidetracked by the religious references. I understand that both families used their faith to get them through this devastating time, but I didn't realize that was going to be the basis of the story when I started.

That said, though, this is a really good story. I recommend reading it along with Jacquelyn Mitchard's ALL WE KNOW OF HEAVEN, which, although not drawn specifically from this story, shares several similarities and is a
Mistaken each kids 1 11 Mar 08, 2015 10:25AM
Christian Readers: Mistaken Identity 2 11 Aug 05, 2013 08:07AM
  • Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage
  • Prisoners of Hope: The Story of Our Captivity and Freedom in Afghanistan
  • Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line
  • Lost Boy: My Story
  • Steve & Me
  • I Am Potential: Eight Lessons on Living, Loving, and Reaching Your Dreams
  • Inconceivable: A Medical Mistake, the Baby We Couldn't Keep, and Our Choice to Deliver the Ultimate Gift
  • Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It
  • Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
  • Misconception: One Couple's Journey from Embryo Mix-up to Miracle Baby
  • Still Lolo: A Spinning Propeller, a Horrific Accident, and a Family's Journey of Hope
  • I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy
  • Choosing to SEE
  • The Duggars: 20 and Counting!: Raising One of America's Largest Families—How They Do It
  • In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing
  • For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice
  • Multiple Bles8ings: Surviving to Thriving with Twins and Sextuplets
  • Captive: The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage Hero

“He is FAITHFUL because He is with us every step of the way, even in the hardest times of our lives.” 0 likes
“Death is Satan's greatest way to attack this world. Amazingly, then God takes what Satan uses to attack us and uses it to bring us together and reveal Himself the most.” 0 likes