Start by marking “The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)

The Ring of Five Dragons (Pearl Saga #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A towering epic of fantasy, The Pearl, is launched in The Ring of Five Dragons. Filled with action, color, and the myriad details of another world, The Pearl is the first great fantasy series of the new millennium, set to rival Robert Jordan, David Eddings, George R. R. Martin, Terry Brooks, and Terry Goodkind in popular appeal.

This astonishing first volume opens as the K
Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages
Published July 14th 2002 by Tor Fantasy (first published May 11th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Five Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring of Five Dragons

Garrett
So far this book has exceeded my expectations. It blends science and sorcery in an interesting way. It is full of bizarre science-fictiony cliches and pseudo geek-speak, but it also has interesting characters. It, surprisingly, involves some critiques of gender assignments, freedom of choice politics, racism and classism that I was not expecting from a pulp sci-fi-fantasy novel.
Shane
"The Ring of Five Dragons" was, simply put, not very good, which is a shame considering I thought the initial premise had great promise. Here, a "primitive", faith and sorcery based people have been conquered by a "civilized", science and technology based people. This is an interesting dynamic. Unfortunately, however, the novel soon becomes far too confusing and nonsensical. There are vague prophesies, unexplained mystical objects, strange travel to other dimensions, "technomancy" whatever the h...more
Amanda
I really liked the history and the fantasy elements that mixed with the sci-fi, and I really liked examining the merging of the cultures (and the privilege that is lost for the main character), but this really was hard to read when I first started. The invented language shouldn't have needed a pronunciation guide just to make it readable, and it really shoved the reader in to the names of characters and technology very quickly, without any buffer, so it was incredibly jarring to get around the e...more
Elle
Mar 02, 2012 Elle rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: 2012
It is my opinion that a science-fiction book should not be more difficult to read than it is to understand. The invented language of the author distracts the reader on every single page, its pronunciation not at all intuitive or even logical, with tripled vowels always amounting to "w" at the end of the vowel they follow. (e.g., A prominent character, at least in as far as I managed to read, was named Wennn Stogggul. This was pronounced, according to the provided guide at the end of the book, "W...more
Carl Alves
The first thing about this novel is that it could be cut in half at a minimum. There was so much unnecessary, extraneous information. The characters did not fell real. The story was convoluted. In the world of the story, the Vornn are the invaders who have taken over the planet inhabited by the Kundalan. Despite this, the Vornn male seem to have no interest in the females of their species, but are overly enthralled with every Kundalan female on the planet. The story line is so convoluted that I...more
CJ
Not a bad story but it definitely doesn't live up to its potential. Also, there was a rape scene in it in which I felt the perpetrator was being perfunctory... as in, "Well, I wasn't in the mood but you're here and you're a woman of a race we're subjugating, so I guess I have to. You understand." I could never get into the second book, either.
Jacob May
i liked it. i did not think it was hard to understand or follow at all. in fact i found it quite easy actually
Louis
I... Wow. I haven't the words. Three best I can offer is that I was younger and more naive when I first read this. the bones of a good story are there, but to find them you have to dig deeply: they're buried beneath a thick layer of incredibly bad writing. If I didn't know better, I might believe the author hit up random.org with a dictionary in hand whenever he needed a proper name.

Honestly I can't recommend this book to anyone.
Leodel Barrio
A good fantasy novel, a bit slow and dragging at start, but slowly it piques interest.
Eric
On the first page of the Prolog (sic) I encountered sixteen made-up nouns/names, none of them well explained. I tried to plow through the tale further, hoping it would get better, but I gave up by chapter two. Unfortunately, I just did not care what happened to any of these characters. The book did not engage me. Tastes differ. For me, this was a book I could not chew, let alone swallow.
Myridian
This was a wonderful book. I couldn't put it down. Lustbader paints beautiful universes with realistic characters. The one thing I disliked was that some of the content felt too much like a coming of age story to me. It felt a bit less applicable to my current stage of life.
Rod
Feb 16, 2009 Rod rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
It's a slow starter, but it's improving now that I'm about a third of the way through it. There is large amount of fictional language and culture and it's rather distracting.
Sam Mager
one of my all time favourite books, took me a while to get used to the complex Vornn language
Data
Perhaps I wasn't quite up to such an epic struggle, but all in all, a pretty decent book.
Mounir Bashour
Essentially a copy of the elements and themes in the Dune series but still a good read.
Steve
Good development and great story but unsatisfying ending. (4.5 stars)
Tyoung221
I wish that Eric had continued this series, great fiction.
Aaron Van Dessel
Odd novel, but very interesting.
Erin Coulter
Erin Coulter is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
Draco Darkheart
Draco Darkheart marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Ashlin
Ashlin marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Equere Equere
Equere Equere marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Jeremiah Ferrill
Jeremiah Ferrill marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
good read 1 2 Jun 18, 2014 08:49PM
  • The Arm Of The Stone (The Stone Duology, #1)
  • Conqueror's Moon (Boreal Moon, #1)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • The Barbed Coil
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • The Woods Out Back (Spearwielder's Tale, #1)
  • Schism (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #10; The Triad, #1)
  • Dragonmaster (DragonMaster, #1)
  • Prospero's Children
  • The Covenant Rising (Dreamtime, #1)
  • The Dragonstone
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • The Loneliest Magician
  • Ties of Power (Trade Pact Universe, #2)
  • The Keep of Fire (The Last Rune, #2)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is...more
More about Eric Van Lustbader...
The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7) The Ninja (Nicholas Linnear, #1) Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)