Start by marking “The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)

The Ring of Five Dragons (Pearl Saga #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  667 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A towering epic of fantasy, The Pearl, is launched in The Ring of Five Dragons. Filled with action, color, and the myriad details of another world, The Pearl is the first great fantasy series of the new millennium, set to rival Robert Jordan, David Eddings, George R. R. Martin, Terry Brooks, and Terry Goodkind in popular appeal.

This astonishing first volume opens as the Ku
Published July 14th 2002 by Tor Fantasy (first published May 11th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Five Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring of Five Dragons

Garrett
Dec 07, 2008 Garrett rated it really liked it
So far this book has exceeded my expectations. It blends science and sorcery in an interesting way. It is full of bizarre science-fictiony cliches and pseudo geek-speak, but it also has interesting characters. It, surprisingly, involves some critiques of gender assignments, freedom of choice politics, racism and classism that I was not expecting from a pulp sci-fi-fantasy novel.
MadMaxx
May 28, 2015 MadMaxx rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fans
Recommended to MadMaxx by: A friend that worked at Tower Books
I love this idea, sci-fi meets fantasy, aliens meet mystical. My only problem with it was that it is on the wordy side for me, but that's me. I grew up with comics and picture books. The reason i read and loved the Hobbit was i had the old picture book with the 45 that would read it to me. Back to Ring of Five Dragons. It starts off interesting with the son the alien leader being put into the body of a female local who is now on the run. She or he(still the boy inside) finds friends and aids on ...more
Data
Sep 16, 2015 Data rated it liked it
Perhaps I wasn't quite up to such an epic struggle, but all in all, a pretty decent book.
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ring of Five Dragons was my first novel by Eric Van Lustbader and I found myself quite pleased. This is not a novel that you can sit down with and polish off in a day or two, as it is quite large. The story moves along at a constant pace and there is plenty going on in all the different storylines to keep the reader engaged.

The characters are well-written and the story is intriguing. I found that I most enjoyed reading the storylines about Annon and Giyan, while my least favorite was about
Shane
Jan 05, 2014 Shane rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
"The Ring of Five Dragons" was, simply put, not very good, which is a shame considering I thought the initial premise had great promise. Here, a "primitive", faith and sorcery based people have been conquered by a "civilized", science and technology based people. This is an interesting dynamic. Unfortunately, however, the novel soon becomes far too confusing and nonsensical. There are vague prophesies, unexplained mystical objects, strange travel to other dimensions, "technomancy" whatever the h ...more
Leodel Barrio
Sep 01, 2014 Leodel Barrio rated it liked it
A good fantasy novel, a bit slow and dragging at start, but slowly it piques interest.
Amanda
Sep 12, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
I really liked the history and the fantasy elements that mixed with the sci-fi, and I really liked examining the merging of the cultures (and the privilege that is lost for the main character), but this really was hard to read when I first started. The invented language shouldn't have needed a pronunciation guide just to make it readable, and it really shoved the reader in to the names of characters and technology very quickly, without any buffer, so it was incredibly jarring to get around the e ...more
Elle
Mar 02, 2012 Elle rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: 2012
It is my opinion that a science-fiction book should not be more difficult to read than it is to understand. The invented language of the author distracts the reader on every single page, its pronunciation not at all intuitive or even logical, with tripled vowels always amounting to "w" at the end of the vowel they follow. (e.g., A prominent character, at least in as far as I managed to read, was named Wennn Stogggul. This was pronounced, according to the provided guide at the end of the book, "W ...more
Rok
Jun 01, 2015 Rok rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Carl Alves
May 19, 2012 Carl Alves rated it it was ok
The first thing about this novel is that it could be cut in half at a minimum. There was so much unnecessary, extraneous information. The characters did not fell real. The story was convoluted. In the world of the story, the Vornn are the invaders who have taken over the planet inhabited by the Kundalan. Despite this, the Vornn male seem to have no interest in the females of their species, but are overly enthralled with every Kundalan female on the planet. The story line is so convoluted that I ...more
CJ
Apr 04, 2014 CJ rated it liked it
Not a bad story but it definitely doesn't live up to its potential. Also, there was a rape scene in it in which I felt the perpetrator was being perfunctory... as in, "Well, I wasn't in the mood but you're here and you're a woman of a race we're subjugating, so I guess I have to. You understand." I could never get into the second book, either.
Moe Austin
Just read this series of again very enjoyable read. Wished Mr. Lustbader would have continued this saga. I understand the Bourne series is important but this was one his best book series for me. If anyone knows of this series being completed please let me know!!!
Jacob May
Jun 18, 2014 Jacob May rated it really liked it
i liked it. i did not think it was hard to understand or follow at all. in fact i found it quite easy actually
Tanya Renolds
Jul 19, 2015 Tanya Renolds rated it really liked it
The idea of aliens in a fantasy book is what grabbed me. I liked the story of switching places, the alien becomes the native. The only problem was there was far too much story telling that didn't need to be there. Just trim some of that fat and this book would be great.
Louis
Aug 10, 2012 Louis rated it did not like it
Shelves: lemmed
I... Wow. I haven't the words. Three best I can offer is that I was younger and more naive when I first read this. the bones of a good story are there, but to find them you have to dig deeply: they're buried beneath a thick layer of incredibly bad writing. If I didn't know better, I might believe the author hit up random.org with a dictionary in hand whenever he needed a proper name.

Honestly I can't recommend this book to anyone.
Eric
Jun 20, 2013 Eric rated it did not like it
On the first page of the Prolog (sic) I encountered sixteen made-up nouns/names, none of them well explained. I tried to plow through the tale further, hoping it would get better, but I gave up by chapter two. Unfortunately, I just did not care what happened to any of these characters. The book did not engage me. Tastes differ. For me, this was a book I could not chew, let alone swallow.
Myridian
Apr 22, 2008 Myridian rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book. I couldn't put it down. Lustbader paints beautiful universes with realistic characters. The one thing I disliked was that some of the content felt too much like a coming of age story to me. It felt a bit less applicable to my current stage of life.
Rod
Feb 16, 2009 Rod rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's a slow starter, but it's improving now that I'm about a third of the way through it. There is large amount of fictional language and culture and it's rather distracting.
Sam Mager
Oct 23, 2012 Sam Mager rated it it was amazing
one of my all time favourite books, took me a while to get used to the complex Vornn language
Mounir Bashour
Jun 11, 2011 Mounir Bashour rated it liked it
Essentially a copy of the elements and themes in the Dune series but still a good read.
Steve
Mar 14, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Good development and great story but unsatisfying ending. (4.5 stars)
Tyoung221
Sep 17, 2009 Tyoung221 rated it really liked it
I wish that Eric had continued this series, great fiction.
Aaron Van Dessel
Dec 20, 2010 Aaron Van Dessel rated it really liked it
Odd novel, but very interesting.
Anthony Bruhl
Anthony Bruhl marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
TBR Book Pile Monster
TBR Book Pile Monster marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
Jonathan Halls
Jonathan Halls marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • Memory of Fire (The World Gates, #1)
  • The Parafaith War (Parafaith, #1)
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • Dezra's Quest (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #5)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said
  • The Heart of Myrial (Shadowleague, #1)
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Lord of Snow and Shadows (Tears of Artamon, #1)
  • Gods' Concubine (The Troy Game, #2)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
  • The Woods Out Back (Spearwielder's Tale, #1)
  • The Waterborn (Children of the Changeling, #1)
  • Ties of Power (Trade Pact Universe, #2)
  • Darkwalker on Moonshae (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #1)
  • Cloak of Shadows (Forgotten Realms: Shadow of the Avatar, #2)
  • Flux
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

Pearl Saga (3 books)
  • The Veil of a Thousand Tears (The Pearl Saga, #2)
  • Mistress of the Pearl (The Pearl Saga, #3)