Start by marking “The Sunset Warrior (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sunset Warrior (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #1)

The Sunset Warrior (Sunset Warrior Cycle #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  780 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Ronin called no man master.
He was the finest swordsman of the Freehold, as sharp and deadly as his blade. Yet as the ancient city faltered, Ronin alone refused to pledge himself to any of the powerful Saardin who ruled the crumbling underground world of levels.
But now dark magic was loose in the world. As the ravings of the Magic Man foretold doom, Ronin and his lover, the
Published March 1st 1995 by Fawcett (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunset Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunset Warrior

The Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisThe Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. HowardThe Fish the Fighters and the Song-Girl by Janet E. MorrisElric of Melniboné by Michael MoorcockSwords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber
Sword and Sorcery
72nd out of 358 books — 286 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMagician by Raymond E. FeistLegend by David Gemmell
Best Heroic Fantasy
261st out of 505 books — 747 voters

More lists with this book...

Olethros
-El Japón feudal trasladado a un mundo postapocalíptico.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Ronin (el nombre ya nos da pistas) es un cualificado espadachín del Feudofranco, un enorme refugio subterráneo en claro deterioro a más de tres kilómetros por debajo de la superficie de una Tierra congelada tras algún tipo de desastre ecológico causado por el hombre en el pasado, que ha decidido no alinearse con ninguno de sus grupos de poder pero que entrará en el juego involuntariamente tr
Alexandru Diaconescu
The title of the book mislead me. As someone pretty familiar with van Lustbader's books, I was expecting another ninja saga but no, this is something different. To my utmost pleasure, I discovered that Eric van Lusbader can write SF, and quality one too. Yes, there is swordmastery there, there is romance, there is mistery and passion and struggle for power and everything you already met in Lustbader's novels, but there is also quest for knowledge among glimpses of ancient technology and fantasti ...more
Miss
For a book of only 254 pages, and considering it's written by Eric Lustbader, I was expecting this book to be fast paced, involved and action packed from start to finish. Instead I found that it was quite slow to get into the story and the action. The writing style was also quite choppy for me and I found myself constantly going back a page to see if I'd accidently missed something (I never had). I was so disillusioned with it that up until about 75% through the book I was convinced that I wasn' ...more
Paul
The first book in Eric Van Lustbader's Sunset Warrior Cycle begins underground in a self-contained society known as the Freehold. The last refuge of a humanity that was forced from the surface by ecological disaster, the once mighty technology that makes the Freehold run has begun to disintegrate over the centuries since mankind burrowed into the earth's crust for survival. So, too, has the society within, which is beset by the factional squabbles of feuding warlords called Sardin.

Trained by The
Darrell
I have enjoyed Mr Lustbader's work in the past but this story, while based in an interesting world, was really kinda slow. The story was good enough to get my interest and lead to reading the second book in the series. I hope that the story will pick up and continue to build.

The story centers around a mankind that has moved underground due to the surface becoming un-inhabitable. The reader is introduced to an almost feudal Japan type of world. There are caste systems like bladesman, scholars and
Koeur

Publisher: Open Road
Publishing Date: March 2014
ISBN: 9781480470897
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 2.5/5

Publisher Description: In an underground world, a rogue swordsman fights to save civilization
Centuries after an ecological calamity turned the surface of the world to ice, mankind has retreated beneath the earth’s crust. In the contained environment of the Freehold, civilization reverts to feudalism and lords known as Saardin maintain their grip on power throu
eyes.2c
...in such beginnings, endings are held

'Ronin was dying.' The opening lines. Perhaps not Ronin himself but certainly the way of life in Freehold is in its death throes. The code is under attack. War is coming and with it a breakdown of the old traditions and a replacing with new. Factions are jockeying into key positions. Who is the enemy?
Science and a reason versus mages and magic as Ronin, an unaligned Bladesman is drawn into the secrets of Freehold, its post apocalyptic beginnings and it's fa
skinwalker musha
The sunset warrior is about Ronin a warrior would lives in a underground catacomb type world miles below the surface of the world above which is cover with ice now . The story is that a war was fought and all humans and life were wipped out ( and the air became unbreathable for a couple of years ) But what is folk tale and whats true ?
The few that survived built the underground to escape what was to come. Than return to the surface when it was safe. Years pasted and generations as well and only
John
This is a very confusing story, and I am not sure exactly what it is about. It appears to be a power struggle among the "leaders" of a society, that lives on multiple levels, two miles underground. They have no records or documentation, so they cannot repair the machines that provide their food and atmosphere. As a result, they face extinction. This is not one of Van Lustbader's better efforts. Add a whole bunch of typo's, and it only rates 2 stars.
Charlene
Having finally read the first book in this series, I find it not as good as the following books in the cycle....there were times when the story appeared disjointed, going from one scene to the next without proper context, leaving one to wonder if a few pages had been skipped or part of the story missed. It has a post apocalyptic feel to it, some sci fi and fantasy thrown in too. All in all, a decent rest but not one of Van Lustbaders' best.
Tony
Meh. I think this was the authors first book, and it certainly has a case of first book jitters, trying to keep secrets in plain sight and failing. The fight sequences are well written, but then this is what Lustbader is really known for. Standard SF.Fantasy tropes for the plot, and most of the story was fairly obvious. I reread this as I intend to read the others that follow, but now I'm not so sure. A fast paced, quick read but little to offer besides the fight sequences, the trouble is they g ...more
Lauren
This book was okay, it seemed like it was going to get better soon enough but never really did. I kept waiting for something to really happen but lost patience after page 200, and that was after two weeks of grumbling, picking it up, reading two pages, and walking away. The wierd part was, usually I love books with lots of detail but this described things that ddn't matter and just made things even more confusing. The ideas behind it were interesting enough but this books just did not deliver.
Mellodi Parks
This book was okay. To me, there's too many characters for me to keep track of and I got pretty confused at who was who after awhile. I probably won't be reading the rest of this series since the books are hard to find and out of print, at least from what I've heard. Maybe I didn't give this book a fair rating but I found it hard to pay attention as well as I probably should have. If you like fantasy books that aren't on a popular list, give this one a try, you might like it.
KC Anton
Dark future world with a fraction of humanity living in ancient ruins of their technological and magical past. Their world is dying in an iceage while surviving kilometers underground.

Interested yet? Well, other the Lustbaders decent fight scenes that is all you'll get till the last 10 pages. There he gives a twisted ending to get you to buy the next book. Fairly contrived for me.
James Hayward
What a fantastic story line this book has really enjoyed reading it. Was quite a short book so I flew through it quickly. The final pages were quite gripping especially the final showdown between Ronin and salamander was great a score to be settled later between them in the subsequent books I hope.
Cynthia Nichols
I read these many years ago but I recall liking them a lot - very evocative and gripping sword and sorcery novels. I don't believe I ever read the last one in the series though - not sure why. My brother who was about 20 at the time was nuts about them for sure.
Dean Lappi
The Sunset Warrior trilogy by Eric Van Lustbader is a fairly unknown series in Fantasy. But I think it is a great series and worth reading. They are hard to find, usually best to look for used books. They can be expensive though, so look for good deals.
David
Jun 06, 2012 David added it
This is Summerblossom baiters earliest writing and in many ways it is his best. I enjoyed this series reading it and stacks of the UT library in the 80s as much as I enjoyed anything by him later. I also remember the books Shan and Jian as being my favorites
Michael
Not as good as remember it being when I read it as a teenager 25 years ago. I though I was just remembering the highlights but it's a very short book. Still fun though.
Frank
I read this series a long time before he got famous. It's a very good swords and sorcery series in the vein of Poul Anderson but not Tolkien.
Althea Ann
This is a futuristic action-adventure story, featuring a swordsman hero in a rigid, underground (literally) society. Light reading.
Lesley
How can a book by one of my favorite authors be this bad?? I got through about 30 painful pages and gave up.
Will
Read this in High School back in the late 70's and fell in love with the character and series.
Tim
Underground/multi-level world and dark magic and a warrior and stuff. Not bad.
Nathan Meyer
Loved this one.
James Hawkeye
A must read
Harry Wade
Harry Wade marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • Night's Black Agents
  • The Quest for Tanelorn (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #3)
  • Conan the Adventurer (Conan 5)
  • The Fall of the Shell (The Pelbar Cycle, #4)
  • Ill Wind
  • In the Drift
  • Tom O'Bedlam
  • The Demon Lord (Book of Years, # 2)
  • Kill the Dead
  • Tales From the Vulgar Unicorn (Thieves' World, #2)
  • The Fallible Fiend (Novarian, #3)
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • And the Devil Will Drag You Under
  • The Coming of the Horseclans (Horseclans, #1)
  • The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1)
  • The Dancers of Arun (Chronicles of Tornor, #2)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

Sunset Warrior Cycle (5 books)
  • Shallows of Night (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #2)
  • Dai-San (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #3)
  • Beneath an Opal Moon
  • Dragons on the Sea of Night (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #5)
The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4) The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8) The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7) The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5) The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)