Desire in Disguise

Desire in Disguise

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  8 reviews
They called her the crimson witch, Genevieva Saint-Georges, former belle of Paris until the French Revolution sent her fleeing into her new life of piracy. She was only matched by the man they called the black Mephisto, notorious spy, master of disguise and black-masked bandit of the seas.
=================================================================They lived a dangero...more
Published February 1st 1989 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Desire in Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desire in Disguise

Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Gift by Julie GarwoodCaptive of My Desires by Johanna LindseyBound by the Buccaneer by Normandie Alleman
Historical Pirate Romance Books
40th out of 142 books — 342 voters
Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyThe Corsair's Revenge by Jane GodmanThe Windflower by Laura LondonWrong Kind of Paradise by Suzie GrantA Pirate's Pleasure by Heather Graham
Best Pirate and Privateer Romances
30th out of 58 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaime Winchester
I'm giving this 4 stars because I've liked it since High School. I'm not sure how it fares with a modern eye for romance, though. There has always been one thing that really bothered me, though. Spoiler: the hero and heroine are cousins, which is nothing unusual for the time period, but their mothers were identical twins!! Wouldn't that be bad, genetically? Wouldn't their DNA be like that of half-siblings? Blech. I always ignore that part when I re-read this book, because I think it is a good st...more
Cyraen
This is the book I read as a kid which made me really love romance. It is probably my number one romance of all time because of its complexity. I might not feel the same way as an adult, and I've read different books I might find more intellectually stimulating, but at fifteen, I was blown away.
Taffey Champion
I'll simply say that this was a good read which made me think of a male and female "Zorro" duo. They are a married couple through convenience. However, they fall "head over heels" in love with one another while they're assuming their respective alter ego identities.
Kate
This was one of those books which were waiting on my Moms bookshelve, waiting to be discovered by me.
I loved it right from the start, even while being a bit too young for the sex scenes in it. But the topic of pirates, a female pirate to get revenge for the things she lost, and the characters intrigued me.

I read it over and over again, but then, sadly, it kind of vanished during moving houses :(
I still ave my hopes up that it is somewhere upstairs in a bookbox, waiting to be discovered again ;)
Lynda
The identities of the Crimson Witch and the Black Mephisto were revealed. Both characters were passionate and very skilled in fencing, schooner sailing, disguises, and distaste for France. Their paths crossed between the pages and it was passionate and dramatic. The writing was sensual in nature and exquisitely detailed capturing the scenery and emotions for the reader to easy visualize.
Arlene Kellas
My favorite romance. Maybe because it was one of my first, but I love the crazy little poems mixed through the book. I also love how all of her books have the story outlined in her poems at the beginning along with her 'cast'.
Sara
This was my number one romance novel for a long time. I read it when I was fifteen so my tastes have probably changed, but this book will always be a benchmark for me when it comes to romance and masks.
Renee
A recommendation from my misspent youth. Purple prose, big misunderstandings, disguises, and that cover! My 14 year old self re-read this one a dozen times.
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Karen  Boruff
Karen Boruff marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Katclaws
Katclaws marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jeana Caldwell-green
Jeana Caldwell-green marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Hope Szabo
Hope Szabo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • The Spanish Rose
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (Cameron Family Saga #2)
  • Sea Fire (Pirates, #2)
  • Chance The Winds of Fortune
  • Tempt the Devil
  • Savage Surrender
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • Passion's Ransom
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • The Buccaneer
  • Surrender to Love
  • Captain's Bride
  • Bride of the Wind
20965
Born in Knoxville, Tennessee, Rebecca lived in Knoxville and then, later, Chattanooga for the first few years of her life. After that, she and her family moved to Kansas, where she grew up, spending her summers in Alabama, visiting both sets of her grandparents. She says she's just a country girl with a dash of big city sprinkled in for spice. But having traveled extensively in the United States,...more
More about Rebecca Brandewyne...
Love, Cherish Me Forever My Love Upon a Moon-Dark Moor No Gentle Love The Outlaw Hearts