Start by marking “La dama del antifaz” as Want to Read:
La dama del antifaz

La dama del antifaz (Mallorens & Friends #4)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,042 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Rosamunde se convenció al fin de que cualquier esposa honrada como ella, y sin importar su cuna, intentaría lo que fuera, lícito o ilícito, para salvar el patrimonio familiar, para evitar que el fruto de su esfuerzo y la esperanza de tantas familias fuera a parar a manos extrañas, a poder de una oscura secta religiosa. Pero... ¿sería ella capaz de llegar incluso al adulter ...more
Published March 2001 by Titania (first published 1999)

Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 27, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I don't like reading about adultery in my romances, nor do I like opening up a book only to find it's smack dab in the middle of a series. This book fits both scenarios but, much to my surprise, I couldn't tear myself away from it.

Rosa is married to Digby, a sickly, older man, who has been unable to impregnate her. When Digby dies their home will pass into the hands of a nephew who belongs to a fanatical religious cult. In order to prevent this Digby encourages Rosa to find herself a handsome yo
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 02, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
I was beginning to worry that this series might be destined for mediocrity, since the last two books had fallen off my otherwise outstanding Jo Beverley experience. Wow did this one knock that idea out of my head. And not just because the plot kicks in with a vengeance right from the start and never lets go (though not in an actiony way so much as an emotional and engaging one). Beverley does a fantastic job of letting us know the stakes by both the details and the emotions wrapped up in them. F ...more
Kit★
I last read this in 2009. That was the second time, the first was, oh, probably in 1999 or 2000. That first read of this was also my very first Jo Bev book too, so it's the one that started my collection. I'm kind of fond of this story, so let's see if it still holds up. I'm sure it will. I was supposed to read this last August over in WaMRL, but I suppose it must be better late than never. Finally, it's onward with my reading of this series!

Done. I flew through this re-read in a day and a half,
Caz

This was a rather random selection for a prompt in the Days of the Week section of the AAR Back to School Challenge, which was -

read a book that has in its title the word "Monday", "Moon", "dark", "shade", or “night”.

I didn’t really have anything in mind, so it was a case of looking through my Kindle books and the paperback pile to find a book which fitted the bill, and this is the one I settled on. The main plotline in this reminded me a little of Grace Burrowes’ Darius: Lord of Pleas
Nisha
Aug 09, 2009 Nisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unconventional romance, but quite refreshing. Usually, when heroines are previously (or currently, in this case) married, the husbands are portrayed as unlovable and whatnot, but here Rosa's husband is a nice man, though obviously not the love of her life. Brand is a pleasant hero, though not very remarkable. He does little and leaves dirty work mostly to Rothgar. Obviously we're being primed for the next book of the series, Rothgar's story.

I don't generally accept adultery, but it was hardly
Carol Storm
Jan 13, 2014 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Electrifying and very naughty Georgian era romance. The heroine abducts the hero, keeps him prisoner, forces him to have sex -- and only appears before him naked and wearing a mask!!!

Now I hope that paragraph grabbed your attention. But the fact is, this is a very deep and character driven story. Jo Beverly does an amazing job making you understand WHY the heroine does the outrageous things she does. Her concern for her land and people is real. Right down to the lazy and rather dim-witted maidse
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I love this series. Every time I see name, Malloren, I smile and I feel good. Ms. Beverley created an awesome family that is memorable not because of the story and what happens to them, but because of the character itself. Lord Brand Malloren is a brother who is pretty amazing. Been waiting to see who female will catch him. I didn't realize it would be literal. One of my favourites in this series.
Elis Madison
Rosamunde Overton is on a mission. When she was sixteen, she was badly scarred in a carriage accident, and then saved from an eternity of pitying, "who'll have her now" looks from friends and family by marrying Sir Digby, a much older, family friend. The old guy is a dear, but kind of inept in the sack and he hasn't managed to sire an heir. This has become a bit of a problem since the fellow next in line for the Sir-dom recently keeled over of a sudden fit, brought on by rich foods and too littl ...more
Davina D.
I've heard a lot about Jo Beverly's Mallorens and embarked upon this reading with reasonably high expectations. Unfortunately my hopes for a great read were dashed. This book was boring. I gave up at page 168 and skimmed the rest.

I disliked:

the heroine was married to another man for 3/4 of the book, thus leaving her unwilling and unable to meet or even see the hero. In fact, hero did not know who she was until very late in the story (you'll have to read to find out why).

it was for an admirabl
Ilze
Aug 06, 2010 Ilze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jo-beverley
(First reading) Did not finish. Had a very hard time suspending disbelief about the situation when the heroine brings the hero to her house and hides him from everyone for several days, meaning she has to look after ALL his bodily needs because she wasn't letting him out of the room. (Yuck) Also the sex with the heroine in a mask is completely implausible, IMHO.

(Added later) I've now read all 5 of the initial Malloren series (My Lady Notorious, Tempting Fortune, Something Wicked, this one and De
Pamela Shropshire
This is book 4 of the Malloren series and most definitely my favorite so far!

Lady Rosamunde Overton needs a child in order to preserve her husband's estate and keep it from falling into the hands of Sir Digby's nephew and the religious sect he belongs to. If that happens, all her work to make the farms and animals more productive will have been in vain, plus all the people on the estate will lose their home. Sadly, Sir Digby is elderly and in poor health and unable to perform his husbandly duty.
Claudia
Jul 29, 2015 Claudia rated it liked it
Un 3.5 en realidad. Siempre es un placer leer a Jo, es una maestra del género y no deja de impresionarme lo mucho que se documenta para cada una de sus historias. Lo he pasado genial con este romance tan poco convencional, pero si algo me ha emocionado en especial ha sido conocer a Rothgar; espero leer pronto su historia con Diana. ¡Qué familia los Malloren!
Mancho283
2.5 คือ ตองบอกกอนเลยวาเราอานเลมนีดวยความคิดทีวามันตองสนุกมากๆ แตกลายเปนวาเริมตนเรืองมาเหมือนจะดี แต..อานๆไปเรารูสึกวานาเบือมากๆเลยอะ พระเอกไมเดนเลย พีชายพระเอกจะเดนกวาอีก บทพระนางในเรืองแบบตอนทีแยกจากกันแลวกวาจะไดเจอกันคือมันนานนนนเหลือเกิน(ในความรูสึกของเราอะนะ) เจอเลมนีเขาไปเราแอบเพลีย สงผลกับการอานเลมตอไปของเรามาก ...more
Michalyn
One of my favorite romances for the sheer unconventionality of it. The heroine is plump, smart and bold and Malloren is a good match for her. Their banter and the troubles they find themselves in are quite amusing. Haven't read this in a long time but this makes me want to pick it up again.
Joy
The supporting characters who show up halfway through the book are much more interesting than the main ones, alas. The main characters' story in the second half is a bit of a letdown.
Karen
May 16, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
Back to the Mallorens after I took a bit of break. This started strong but sort of ran out of steam as it went along. I still liked it but wished for more of a bang at the end.
Hackmops
2nd read Dec 20 2012
3rd read Jun 2016
review to come
Vanessa
Sep 07, 2015 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps this is a difficult book to write. One, the author is going to deal with adultery. An adulterous heroine, now this one can be challenging, either she can be a total tramp for doing it or just a plain tramp. But see here, Jo Beverly laid it out all so well, the husband is ageing, dying, fat, kind, and most importantly impotent AND an heir is much needed cause if not the estates and the people would all go to church cult. Now, if those are not reasons enough to go gallivanting, what is? ok ...more
Lovetoread
All I can say about author Jo Beverley's novel Secrets of The Night, is after finishing half the book I downloaded on my Kindle 10 more of her books. Yes I thought this book was that good. I loved the Hero, Brand and the Heroine, Rosie. I could go on and on about how wonderful and believable the characters were, or how incredible good the story was but just go out and get the book you will see for yourself.

The premise of the book is about how Rosie, Rosamunde Overton who being married at sixtee
Christine
Mar 31, 2010 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
3.5

I think I might have sold the first few books in this series short because of my general reluctance to give genre romance 5 stars. This whole series is well above average for romance, especially for historical romance.

This book, though, was somewhat disappointing. It felt too much like a setup for the 5th book. The romantic entanglement in this book was all right but something about the hero was unconvincing. He felt like a cardboard cutout of a man. This has not been true of the other books
Mai Hyukkie

ยังคงกำกึงวาจะอานตอดีมัย
แตวาก
adoree
May 21, 2012 adoree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
L'histoire est originale. Par besoin, l'héroïne doit avoir un enfant. Son mari ne pouvant pas procréer, elle décide de prendre un inconnu et de passer une nuit afin de tomber enceinte. Là, où les autres romances coincent avec des fausses pudeurs de la part de l'héroïne, des blocages inutiles et où la nuit n'est consommée qu'après moults péripéties, l'auteur réussi à nous faire passer la pilule avec brio. Le tout est sur fond d'une intrigue. Les personnages sont bien décrit. leur histoire est cré ...more
Leanne
Jul 17, 2016 Leanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn and am still drawn to this novel for its premise. I love the story of secret identities, mystery, and a hero in pursuit of the heroine. However, that was the only reason I stuck with this book. It was extremely boring. I skimmed a lot of the book, trying to find out how things progressed and resolved between the hero and heroine. The dialogue and occurrences in between the critical parts seemed to drag on too long and get into too much unnecessary detail.

If you are interested in Jo B
Geovanna Maya
Jun 05, 2016 Geovanna Maya rated it really liked it
Esté es el primer libro de esta autora que me gusta, llevaba casi la mitad y no podía dejar de leerlo y preguntarme como podrian terminar ambos protagonistas si Rosa estaba casada, que he de aclarar que aunque ella lleva sobre los hombros estar con otro hombre la autora supo llevarlo y pude enter porque estaba en esa situación.
En lo personal me gusto, y me agradaría leer el siguiente por que me llamo la atención esos personajes.
Es una buena historia con un trama sensillo que entretiene hasta el
Srisurang
Sep 30, 2011 Srisurang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ชอบแบรนด มากกวา โรธการซะอีก เขาใจดี นารัก ยิมงาย ออนโยน ชอบแตงตัวสมถะ ทำตัวติดดิน นิสัยนารักมากๆ นางเอกกไมทำใหผิดหวัง ฉลาดแตเรียบรอยเยือกเยน ไมหุนหันโผงผางแบบไดอานา แตกคลายเลมกอนคือครึงเลมแรกนีจะชอบมากๆ ความสนุกตืนเตน ลึกลับ ไดลุน หรือฉากฮอทอะไรจะครบครัน แตพอมาครึงหลังมันแผวๆ ลง เนือเรืองเยอะแตเขียนแบบรวบๆ สรุปๆ รูสึกเหมือนอานยอความ แมแตฉากแตงงานยังกลาวถึงผานๆ (ไปมีละเอียดในเลมหา เลมของพีชาย) กเลยไมรูสึกสนุกเทาชวงแรก แตการคลีคลายปมของเรืองออกมาดีนะคะ ถูกใจกวาเลมหาหนอยนึงดวยซำไป (อานฉบับแปลชือเรื ...more
Tristen
Oct 31, 2012 Tristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-in-digtal
Brand's story was a little lovey dovey for my tastes. I understand he is the sensitive brother but touchy feely emotions ran riot throughout this book. It really had a Stockholm syndrome feel since he was rescued and held captive then sexually exploited before being released to then obsess over his captor.

Our little heroine Rosmunde was easy to adore but I think spunky cousin Diana stole the limelight.

It was interesting to have another facet of Rothgar's personality exposed I am very much eager
Lynne Tull
Feb 15, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgian-romance
So far this is my favorite story of the "Malloren" Series. I love Brand. I think I'll keep him. He is my kind of man and Rosie/Rosa/Rosamunde is my kind of woman...willing and committed to take a risk for a higher purpose. Wow! Rothgar, Brand's older brother and patriarch of the family, appears in this book as does Diana , Countess of Arradale and Rosamunde's cousin. I am now waiting to see how Diana fells Rothgar in Devilish! Such fun!
Lyssa
Jan 21, 2013 Lyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story. The issue of infidelity, to me anyway, wasn't presented in such an awful way. She cheated. Yes, but the husband knew and even encouraged it out of love for her and their mission. It was a loving story throughout and very delightful. I plan to read the rest of the Malloren stories. Loved this story a lot.
LemontreeLime
you know, i should know better than to read a book with a title like this. I read the blurb on the back thinking 'oh interesting, i havent seen one at the 'before' stage of using a cuckold to secure an estate....' I should have guessed it would be superromp-a-rama. Oh well, im sure someone else would enjoy it.
  • Heartless (Georgian, #1)
  • River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)
  • The Knight of Rosecliffe (Rosecliffe #2)
  • Perils of the Heart
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • My Fair Lord
  • My Only Love
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Mallorens & Friends (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1)
  • Tempting Fortune (Malloren, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Malloren, #3)
  • Devilish (Malloren, #5)
  • Winter Fire (Malloren, #6)
  • A Most Unsuitable Man (Malloren, #7)
  • A Lady's Secret (Malloren, #8)
  • The Secret Wedding (Malloren, #9)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • An Unlikely Countess (Malloren #11)