Myths and Mysteries of Washington

Myths and Mysteries of Washington

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Tales of intrigue in this book include unusual unsolved crimes, legends of lost treasure, spine-tingling ghost stories, and well-documented sea creature sightings. Based on historic accounts from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, author Lynn Bragg recounts fifteen myths and mysteries from Washington's past, verifying some tales from multiple accounts and exposi...more
Published June 1st 2005 by TwoDot

Kim
I've always been a sucker for myths and legends, ghost stories and folk tales, treasure hunters and ye olde crime. Knowing that my wonderful fiancee sent me this book about my (hopefully) soon-to-be home. Some of the stories I'd read before like D.B. Cooper and flying saucers over Mount Rainier but now they mean so much more after visiting there and knowing I might soon be living there.

It's also given me lots of places I want to visit like Ape Cave and Crescent Lake and has also inspired me to l...more
pietastic
It consists of short tellings of several different stories and in that, I enjoyed it. It served the purpose of what I was after in reading it: which was to familiarise myself with some myths so I could discover and choose a handful to look into in further depth elsewhere. And this book does have a nice variety of tales.

But that's where my enjoyment probably ended. About the third story in I began to realise I was getting thoroughly confused about what was supposed to have happened. And from ther...more
Tiffany
Meh. This was okay. The kind of book that you read and think "Oh, that's interesting," or "I didn't know that!" but never really read again.

Highlights:
- The story of D.B. Cooper and the search for him
- Sea serpents, dating back to ancient drawings
- People discovering gold and other treasures, or being sure that these treasures existed somewhere
- Haunted homes (including the Georgetown castle built in the 1880s or '90s, and a shady doctor's mansion in South Hill)
- Sasquatch-like creatures on Mt...more
Christina
"Myths and Mysteries" is a fairly decent book highlighting some of the biggest of Washington's odd/mysterious stories ... and many obscure ones as well. In fact, they were so obscure, even my dad hadn't heard of them, which is saying something positive;)

Each story is told in a quickly digestable chapter, which is likely the intent of the book, but it's also a major shortcoming. Of course, every tale that's told has been told in better and greater detail in a book (or more) of its own. The main p...more
Andy Perdue
I love a good mystery. Perhaps that's one reason I became a journalist. As a native and lifelong resident of Washington state, I figured I'd heard all of the stories, especially with my interest in cryptozoology. But this modest book was able to dig up many new and fascinating stories. I even had the opportunity to share the details of ther Lady of the Lake with friends in the context of another conversation.

If you love the Pacific Northwest and its lore, you'll likely enjoy this light read.
Rebecca Hill
I bought this book with the hopes of learning a little bit about the history and mystery of Washington after moving here. I enjoyed the stories although there were some that I thought could have used a little more research and time working on them, as they seemed a little choppy and didnt exactly flow well together.

But for anyone that wants to get an overall view of a few of the things that have happened here in Washington, this is a good place to get your feet wet.
Zach
Oct 02, 2008 Zach rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking to kill time
Shelves: quick-reads
I read this book while at Sol Duc Hot Springs. I had just finished a 4 day hiking trip and was waiting for a ride to come pic me up. The managed to kill an hour or so - but it did have some interesting washington history.
Christiane
Everyone's probably heard of D.B. Cooper and Sasquatch, but what about flying saucers over Mt. Rainier? Or the murdered woman whose corpse had turned into soap? I love books like these, especially when they are set locally.
Timbre Wolf
Interesting stories i never knew about washington, makes me think its less boring now :)
Jane
Jane added it
Jan 31, 2014
Breanna
Breanna marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Mouse
Mouse marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Marjolein
Marjolein marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Lee
Lee added it
Jan 01, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Jewett
Jewett marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
Janene
Janene is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014