Start by marking “You Can Negotiate Anything” as Want to Read:
You Can Negotiate Anything

You Can Negotiate Anything

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Every day, you negotiate for something: prestige, money, security, love. This straight-talking guide will show you how to get what you want by dealing successfully with your mate, your boss, MasterCard, your children, your best friends and even yourself. As Herb Cohen counsels, "Power is based upon perception-- if you think you've got it then you've got it. Be patient, be ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published February 10th 2001 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 1980)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Negotiate Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Negotiate Anything

Zahwil
Books with titles like this one often promise more than they deliver. It's hard to find the good needles among the haystack of books of this kind that fill up the business and self-help sections of bookstores. However, this short book is refreshingly concise, and offers a lot of valuable wisdom for negotiations. Some of my take-aways are these:

1. legitimacy (the written word, lawyers/law department, policies, rules, even laws), while appearing inflexible, can still often be negotiated. We should
Jeremy
Apr 10, 2008 Jeremy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn to negotiate
Recommended to Jeremy by: professor
I recommend reading the book for its countless minor lessons, but the two major lessons for me were:

(1) Everything that is produced by negotiation is subject to negotiation. Just because the store puts a sign up doesn’t mean you (or they) have to abide by it. The person with whom you’re dealing decides whether to do what you want—not the sign. So don’t be afraid to ask.

(2) Find the real problem. A lot of times when we’re negotiating, we think it’s just a matter of whose number wins, but it’s rea
Omar Halabieh
As the title indicates, this book is about negotiation, which the author defines as: "What is negotiation? It is the use of information and power to affect behavior within a "web of tension." If you think about this broad definition, you'll realize that you do, in fact, negotiate all the time both on your job and in your personal life." Herb then summarizes the three pillars of negotiation, the main premise of the book: "In every negotiation in which you're involved—in every negotiation in which ...more
Pat Moran
Mixed feelings. I did laugh a few times, but was more often frustrated with the inefficiency that Cohen advocates for through his strategies. Many of his strategies also call for leaving integrity at the door and being manipulative by purposely wasting the time of others, let alone his own. He backs off this toward the end of the book when discussing an interest in sustaining relationships, but otherwise presents a 'screw em' attitude.

I found the most interesting part to be about the Soviet neg
Justin
Outstanding! The lessons contained within this work have proved continually pervasive in daily life. Herb Cohen's landmark how-to book on social manipulation and bargaining contains a wealth of information on how people think and behave. Cohen may have just wanted to write a book on bargaining, but he succeeded in unlocking a treasure trove of insight into how people interact in the marketplace, itself a most revealing social arena.
Aneel
Apr 14, 2010 Aneel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aneel by: Chip
Herb Cohen may be a good negotiator, but his writing leaves a lot to be desired. It was often hard to sift out the points he was making from the huge volume of anecdotes and jokes. A lot of the material seems really dated because Cohen repeatedly refers to "Soviet" tactics. But the book was written in 1980, so I can excuse some of that.

There is some good material here. Cohen explains quite a bit about how various tactics work. If you're aware that someone is trying something (for example, stalli
Neveen
Overall, I hated this book. The techniques presented here are contradictory and inconsistent. Some of them are also downright immoral. The author claims to present some unethical techniques so the user can identify, but no utilize them. However, I do not see his point. Simply, when battled with evil, you may want to resort to immorality to balance things out and this is not something I would like to be responsible for.

This book sank from 2 stars to 1 star because of the author's offensive conten
Mark
Very general theoretical principles, little practical specific application, which I suppose is best for this subject, but still felt quite vague.
jefrey das
very illuminating read about negotiation & ways to negotiate...for a starter,it would be a bible in business & life transactions & negotiations.
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book. It is a gem, small and valuable. This is a great book that is short and to the point packed with great tips about negotiating. Definitely a book I will listen to again and possibly buy a copy to read too. I highly recommend this book if you are in sales, or many other professions as well.
Aboomar
Sep 02, 2014 Aboomar is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I m intreasted
Bovorot
i feel, therefore i am.
Cissa
Interesting, though probably rather obvious to people more savvy than I am about such things. The basic point is that usually one can achieve a win-win situation- IF one is trying for that rather than a win-lose. There are definitely some tips for making this happen- and for recognizing when someone else is not cooperative with that. I was pleased to discover that in some ways I'm doing the "right thing" instinctively, though I appreciate the tips.
Rob
Not a bad read, especially for the business or self-help category. Author passes along his advice for how to negotiate in a variety of situations. My key take-aways were to make it personal and invest time in order to get a fair deal. Also to make sure there is benefit for both sides. It was written in the early 80s and many of the examples are fairly dated... but I would still recommend for anybody who has to negotiate on a regular basis.
Douglas Larson
I don't care for some of the tactics the author describes as necessary to get through negotiations. But I did appreciate the description of several tactics that are sometimes used. The author gave an example of a negotiation between the Russians and a seller for a piece of property in New York. The Russians wanted to build a something there. I found the description of the tactic the Russians used to be quite enlightening.

Shawn
I normally don't like self-help books that much, but Cohen does a good job at presenting his thoughts and applying to real-life situations. My only complaint is that he somewhat fails in providing a full picture of ideas. It felt like his thoughts and observations were organized in a piecemeal fashion. Despite the fragmented nature of the book, it was still a good read and provided some useful information.
John Sutton
I honestly was disappointed in it. While I did learn some new ways to negotiate, I really just learned about how to take advantage in negotiations. Or at least that is how I felt.
Byuboston
Really good book on the art of negotiating. I enjoyed reading it and have been working to implement many of the principles.
This is one of those books where as you read it, you have to make your own best judgment on what material and principles you will use because I felt some of them weren't very ethical, though most of the principles were good and I try to use them.
Ajibola
Some timeless advice from Herb about tactics used in negotiations. After a few years getting knocked around by savvy negotiators, I now know the tactics they used and as Herb says a tactic perceived is no tactic at all. It really helps to be informed. This book is really a handbook that should be revisited frequently and you practice the advise.
Jeffrey logan
great tool here if you ever want to win at buying a car at car dealership. Dang I hate those guys! but now... i like to challenge them with what i know and i know what they dont want me to know. and doesnt just apply to salesmen... but to anything cuz everything u want in life is a negotiation
Nikish Chanekar
a nice presentation on ideas could be useful in negotiating situation. Another good point is humour full and witty way of conveying his insights. So on the whole the book is entertaing,educative and worth read if ever one is interested in this topic.
Đinh Trang Giang Thanh
I'm reading this book. When I first read some of his stories of bargaining to get the lower price, I laughed a lot and frankly I didn't like them. However, after a short time getting used to his witty style, I realized that it is truly an AMAZING must-read!
Kolagani Paramahamsa
Got hold of this book accidentally, long back. It was a very interesting read then. I liked the idea of showing negotiation in a positive light, as an art. Introduction to different kinds of negotiation was also interesting.
Richard
this also help me to negotiate successfully with my previous boss, and i like it. i've read it 2 times. very helpful.
Amir Baer
The author gives a basic analysis of the negotiation process and provides a few valuable tips.
That being said, the book did not revolutionize my thinking in this area and failed to help me apply its tools to my situation.
Ray Greenberg
This is literally a book I picked up in the airport. It forever changed the way I think of negotiating and how much we all do it. For those interested in the way life works and who isn't, this is a great book!
Steve
Good book. Inspires confidence to take charge and be bold in negotiations. Explains useful tactics. Some of the applications and writing is a bit outdated as the book is very old but the principles still ring true.
Charlie
The principles of negotiation layed out concisely with tongue and cheek wit. Avoid being railroaded while negotiating and learn how to best meet the needs of everyone involved. Great book.
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • Getting More: How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • Getting Past No Negotiating Your Way from Confrontation to Cooperation
  • Mind Set!: Reset Your Thinking and See the Future
  • The Secrets of Successful Communication: A Simple Guide to Effective Encounters in Business (Big Brain vs. Little Brain Communication)
  • Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • Trump: The Way to the Top: The Best Business Advice I Ever Received
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate
  • Taking Charge with Value Investing: How to Choose the Best Investments According to Price, Performance, & Valuation to Build a Winning Portfolio
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
Negotiate This!: By Caring, But Not T-H-A-T Much How to Negotiate Anything, Anywhere The Game of Negotiating The Win-Win Negotiating Strategy Artful Negotiation in a Global Economy