Start by marking “Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Work and Life” as Want to Read:
Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Work and Life

Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Work and Life

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  2,413 ratings  ·  147 reviews
Discover David Allen's powerful productivity principles and vastly increase your ability to work better, not harder -- every day.
The "guru of personal productivity" -- Fast Company -- asks listeners what's holding them back and shows how all of us can be "ready for anything" -- with a clear mind, a clear deck, and clear intentions.
Ready for Anything offers you ways to i
Audio CD, Abridged, 3 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ready for Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready for Anything

Reggie
I made a really big push with the GTD system this year. I listened to the GTD Live audio sessions and then I read Ready for Anything. More than ever I'm relying on GTD to manage my life.

What I learned this time around is how connected organization and creativity are. We're either being creative and making new stuff, or else trying to organize all the stuff that we have created so that we have more space (psychological or physical or otherwise) which will then allow us to be creative again.

The f
Duc
I received ‘Ready for Anything’ (RfA) as a belated birthday present from my sister. She saw it on my Amazon wish list. This came as a surprise. I don’t remember putting it on the list. Earlier, I dismissed this book in a conversation with Jennifer George, who thoroughly analyzed the text. I’ve been wondering several points about this slim book. I want to make comparisons to it as investigations into the organization philosophy. This book was born after ‘Getting Things Done’. In the order of thin ...more
Chris
Dec 26, 2007 Chris is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
David Allen is my super nerdy organizing your life boyfriend. This book is hot. It should be combined with his celebrated (I'm still raising a glass) Getting Things Done, better know in left/anarchist circles as the GTD Revolution.
Andrew Saul
For those who use GTD this book is a great refresher on why you're doing it, and is excellent chance to look again at each of your processes and change them up if needed.

For those who are new to GTD I think this might be the easiest way to get a taste of what's it all about in terms of why you should do it and the general beliefs that form the core of GTD.

Read this book in bits, it's broken up into 5 minute chapters and I wouldn't read more than 2 at a time. Preferably just 1. This allows you to
Tricia
I found this book a nice review of the Getting Things Done system, and while a lot of what the essays are saying is general, I think anyone reading would be better off already familiar with GTD.

These essays were a nice length, easily digested in a quick sitting with some interesting relevant quotes for each one. Some of them fire you up, some make you muse on your work and systems, but all succintly focus on an aspect of productivity, organisation, goals or structures.
Lost In A Fog
I like David Allen's take, even when I don't agree with him. Like Chapter 7 about Prioritization. But I'm nitpicking.

This is a nice follow on to Getting Things Done where David offers 52 short chapters each dealing with a different topic. Having spent some time working on GTD methodology I re-read this one and definitely took more from it than the first time!
Julia Doherty
This book really gave me the kick that I needed to get a bit more focussed on the projects that I want to achieve this year. So many things that he mentions in this book are basic "Getting Things Done" style, but sometimes you just need to be reminded of what you should be doing. It is too easy to slip back into old habits.

Already I have "got stuff out of my head" and created projects on our project management system with break down tasks and due dates. Now I don't need to worry that I will for
Stephanie
This is a great book whether you work, volunteer, stay-at-home, or some combination. The chapters are very short and to the point. Each one quickly summarizes a skill or technique that can be used to improve productivity and simplify life.

I did not read his very popular book Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity before this one, but I am planning to go back and read it. Allen has a very conversationalist style that makes reading about productivity and organization easy and int
Waseem
I didn't get much from his original Getting Things Done book - and this book was not that different or better. Felt all over the place - and judging by reading other reviews here now it makes sense as I realise it's a rehash of his newsletters and articles - not book worthy of you ask me

The only decent part was the very beginning talking about being prepared and "ready for anything" and what goes into that

Besides that - it was random articles and no structure that id expect from a book with no t
Aaron Tesauro
Loved this book. Super practical and short sections that can be easily applied to life. Helped inspire me to be more organized and productive.
Richard
As a firm fan of David Allen's "Getting Things Done" methodology, I found this book to be a really useful reminder/refresher of some of the concepts and ideas.

I'm very familiar with the GTD concepts and ideas, but sometimes need a reminder of *why* they are such a good idea in keeping me productive (and sane!) on a day-to-day basis. In this book, Allen provides some very easy to read chapters (2-3 pages each) which help identify what drives you, what holds you back and the steps you can take to
Monique
Sometimes I pick up a book because I like the title...that was the case today. Then as I started reading several of the productivity principles resonated with me...
1. You are not your work
2. Function follows form
3. Your power is proportional to your ability to relax
4. Only one thing on your mind is "in the zone"
5. Small things, done consistently, create major impact
6. It's easier to move when you are in motion
7. You have to do something to know something

Certainly words I needed to move me from o
Jenny
I have this book to thank for finally answering the question: How many pages can you fill up using only business cliches and barely-relevant quotes from famous people?

I guess the only reason I give it 2 stars instead of 1 because this book is basically a weak and sloppy repackaging of his first book - and his first book was honestly a life-changing book in terms of organizing yourself and being productive. So if you need a book to do that, read Getting Things Done and just use this one as a coas
Viktor Zakharchenko
Создатель теории GTD написал очень простую в восприятии книгу, аккуратно нарезанную на крохотные разделы, размер которых чуть ли не с линейкой замерялся (на самом деле да: bookmate показал 50% книги на 26 разделе из 52). Но это скорее плюс для "чтения в метро", чем минус. И, конечно, книга очень порадует любителей крылатых фраз. Даже хочется пожурить Дэвида, что 30% мудрости его книги - слова других людей. Но журить Аллена не будем : )
Из лучшего:

Наиболее одарённые представители человеческой рас
Tyler Suzuki Nelson
As a big fan of David Allen's Getting Things Done, I figured that I would pick up 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done to see what I could work on to better the system. Unfortunately, I didn't find what I expected.

This book takes the form of 52 short essays, each of which Allen covers some brief topic I assume he finds important in getting things done. Out of all these essays, there were 10 ideas I wrote down as being both new and interesting (coming from less than 10 of the essays
Matt Burgess
Ready For Anything (2003), David Allen
Ready for Anything is the second book by David Allen that I found unengaging in majority. Allen does present some practical ideas for clearing the mind, organization and planning which can be summed up with these four parts found on the back jacket of the book:
-Clear your head for creativity
-Focus your attention
-Create structures that work
-Take action to get things moving

To begin to make sense of the whopping 52 subtopics (mysteriously an equal 13 subtopics
Lance
I read a book in February, and only now am I getting around to writing the review. Yeah, I know. I'm a bum. At least I am working to conquer that natural man instinct.

And this is a book quite up that alley. It is a follow-up to the excellent Getting Things Done, which lays out a very practical plan for personal productivity. I've always had an interest in this subject since entering the so-called real world. I remember when I read Getting Things Done for the first time how I was impressed by som
Jackie
Vaishali Joglekar
Absolutely mind-illuminating. Surprisingly full of spiritual revelations on the development of the human persona. This book is a highly engaging volume because Allen looks at GTD as a cosmic exercise of the control of self. Lines like "Unfulfilled commitments consume psychic fuel that is unavailable for other uses" really open up a new view to the mind of exceptionally accomplished individuals and successful companies, both of which Allen has consulted for decades. Rich with information you simp ...more
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Sometimes the biggest gain in productive energy will come from cleaning the cobwebs, dealing with old business, and clearing the desks—cutting loose debris that's impeding forward motion. ~ David Allen, Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done

I found this book had a lot of theory, but very little practical applications suggested. I believe there is a thought process for productivity; however, thoughts without action leads to no productivity.
Jay
I see what many of the other reviewers are saying when they say this is really nothing new -- this is just philosophical discussions of how to plan and therefore live better. I find that these kinds of books can provide topics for further reflection and can, if you happen to read it while thinking of a related topic, have a big impact on your thoughts and actions, and I found it valuable for that. It also serves as a reminder on the GTD system, which I personally needed six months after first re ...more
Ed
Where Getting Things Done is a practical "how-to" book to help you implement a system of creatively getting your things done, Ready for Anything is more philosophical. It's more about the benefits of implementing the GTD system, how it helps in various aspects of our lives, how it works in theory and in practice. Do not read this if you haven't already read Getting Things Done. It will only confuse you.
Krishna Kumar
David Allen has a great many good points in this book, but it feels very disjointed. The book has no flow and it feels like a heap of ideas. That may very well be the author's intention, but for a productivity book, it may have been a better methodology to make larger chapters focusing on particular problems and elaborating upon them.
Kendel Christensen
I love pretty much everything written by this man. This seemed more stream-of-consciousness than his other offerings--which was both good and bad. It felt like he just woke up and wrote to his audience some good advice that was on his mind (I believe the book was taken from his newsletters). Good refresher on some neglected concepts.
Russell Allison
I'm a big fan of David Allen, but this book was a big disappointment. Its a series of 52 essays that are reprints from Allen's newsletters and website, and they tend to be short, pithy, and reasonably readable pieces that riff on the core principles of Allen's Getting Things Done book. However, the problem with it is that after 2-3 of these things, they bleed together, and you're reminded that all the good ideas were in the original book. Others might like it more than me -- Allen spends lots of ...more
Dawn
I don't know if I would have gotten more out of this book if I had read "Getting Things Done" first, but I got more out of the quotes on the sides of the text than the book itself (although, it reinforced my ideas/motivation about the "brain dump journal" that I have just started!)
Bill
David Allen's approaches to Getting Things Done are often revolutionary, to say the least. This book successfully frames his approach in a set of guiding principles that can serve to make the soft edges of GTD a more intrinsic part of your reality.

To read a book about getting, being and staying organized that reflects a deep understanding and appreciation for Eastern philosophies is a find. To hear say someone say that being relaxed is a key part of success is a bit annoying as it's so obvious.
Erik
Good explanation as to why you should use GTD. If you read David Allen's GTD book, this book is a good addition. If not you might want to read on GTD first. This book does not explain how to implement GTD. Good addition, though not a mandatory read on GTD
Jeffrey
This collection of essays from David Allen are interesting and helped keep me motivated to use GTD. However, it is no where near as useful as Getting Things Done.
Mark
I've listened to the Audible audiobook versions of Getting Things Done and Making It All Work twice and plan on listening to them again 4-6 months from now.

That being said the audio version of Ready for Anything escaped me on the initial listen. I plan on listening to it again, but if I had to rate David Allen's books in terms of usefulness I'd rate:

#1 Making It All Work
#2 Getting Things Done
#3 Ready for Anything

If you're a GTD convert then I recommend the David Allen Company podcast, following
  • Lifehacker: 88 Tech Tricks to Turbocharge Your Day
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • Time Management from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Taking Control of Your Schedule--and Your Life
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • Mind Performance Hacks: Tips & Tools for Overclocking Your Brain
  • 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
  • Time Power: A Proven System for Getting More Done in Less Time Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • The Art of Project Management
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
David Allen is a productivity consultant who is best known as the creator of the Getting Things Done time management method.

He is the founder of the David Allen Company, which is focused on productivity, action management and executive coaching. His Getting Things Done method is part of his coaching efforts. He was also one of the founders of Actioneer, Inc., a company specializing in productivity
More about David Allen...
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life Getting Things Done...Fast!: The Ultimate Stress-Free Productivity System How To Get Things Done GTD Life with David Allen

“When we truly need to do is often what we most feel like avoiding.” 17 likes
“There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but the way out is through.” 10 likes