The Boxes

The Boxes (Marco's Millions #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Open this book -- if you dare!Uncle Marco's frequent, mysterious trips have fascinated Annie for years -- he never tells anyone, even his beloved niece, where he is going or when he'll be back. But this time is special: He leaves Annie in charge of two sealed boxes, with strict instructions not to open either one while he's away. As time passes, curiosity gnaws at her unti...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Boxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boxes

Steph
Quirkly sci-fi fun for the middle school boy. The protagonist is female, but I found more interest from the boys in my classes.

Odd Uncle Marco, Annie's only respite from her feisty Aunt Ruth, leaves her in charge of two mysterious boxes. "Don't open them. . . and keep them safe for me until I return." What a temptation for our angst-ridden protagonist.

In short, the boxes stop time. There's much more to it than that: a little romance, plenty of adventure, and menacing creatures with telepathy....more
Kiri
Another fun William Sleator book. This one combines a mysterious uncle, the Pandora myth, evil real estate developers, and some creepy gothic elements into a lively quest and battle against the bad guys. Like many Sleator books, there's a fun element of warped physics going on as well. This is clearly a YA book, as the writing is okay but not stellar -- but it's a fun read regardless. (His best books, in my opinion, are still House of Stairs and Singularity.) Really, I mostly wanted to hear more...more
Adrienne
Uncle Marco is Annie's favorite person in the world. He's exciting and mysterious and he doesn't put her down like Aunt Ruth does. If only she could live with him! But Uncle Marco is always travelling, although Annie doesn't know quite where he goes. Then Uncle Marco brings home the two boxes and gives Annie two instructions: 1) Do Not Open the boxes and 2) Don't tell Aunt Ruth about them. Annie wants to obey Uncle Marco, but the boxes give her a funny feeling...

The Boxes is a companion to Marco...more
Julie Sondra Decker
Anne is a curious child, so it's odd that her Uncle Marco entrusts her with two sealed boxes WHICH MUST STAY SEALED before he disappears on a trip. Of course, Anne cannot resist the temptation, and ends up releasing weird crablike creatures that take over her basement and send her telepathic messages about what she has to do for them. She also releases a time-control device that the crab creatures order her to use. When the safety of her little world is threatened by a curious development compan...more
Dayna Smith
This is a fun story about Annie whose strange Uncle Marco gives her two boxes and tells her not to open them whatever she does. Like Pandora, she is overwhelmed with curiosity and opens the boxes. She finds a strange clock and even stranger little creatures. Enter some evil property developers and a budding friendship with her neighbor Henry and the story is off and running. This book begs for a sequel.
Stephen Huang
Imagine that one of your family members left you boxes and said don’t open them; doesn’t it make you want to open them up even more? People tell people to not stick their nose where it doesn’t belong or mind their own business. These things make people’s curious mind attract to what they want to know inside their puzzle mind. The Boxes is an excellent mystery novel because of the way it is related to life which it seems true about how people really acts, the mind pulling force of mystery pops o...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
Pablo Ramirez
Oct 07, 2013 Pablo Ramirez rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle School Kids and teens
What if some one told you not to open a special box would you open ofcouseit.The genre of thhis book is science fiction.I thought the book was really good.

One day uncle Marco went on a trip and brough two special boxes he gave the two sealed boxes to Annie uncle Marco said not to open aturthem.Of course she is tempted to open the boxes and when she opens the boxes she sees these crablike creatures they posses a power Annie could never imamgine. she mostly spends her time in her room.Annie in the...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 10, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like creepy sf
Annie’s Uncle Marco entrusts two boxes to her; like Pandora, she peeks inside. Out scurries a creepy-crawly; it reproduces, starts building, and tells Annie telepathically to open the second box, a time-altering clock. Everything else slows down so the creatures can build faster.
Unscrupulous developers steal the clock, but it slows them down, and Annie recovers it. Uncle Marco reappears, praises Annie for snooping, and accompanies her through a doorway in the creatures’ structure to the unknown...more
Douglas Larson
While this is listed as book 2 of a 2-book series it was actually written first even though it does take place chronologically after the events of book 1.

This book and its companion are both enjoyable stories, with this one being slightly the better. But they both have Sleator's signature twist endings that are both intriguing and sad. Book 1 of this series has an especially sad ending, perhaps the saddest ending of all his stories.

The protangonist in this book, is Anne, the niece of two of th...more
Big Tone
This book is a fantasy based novel. I enjoyed reading this because this book included "show not tell", descriptions, and a good plot which led to a magnificent ending.

The Boxes, had my full attention every time I would read it. It brought me into a different world. I went into the world of the main character who was in first person throughout the whole story. I could create a picture for everything I was reading, and that is hard to do when reading unless you are reading a great book. Overall,...more
Dustin Sullivan
An entertaining quick read. It was good to see the main character grow. The writing wasn't great, but I've read worse in YA.
Tucker
The Boxes is a good book. I would recommend it to anyone who’s interested in any science fiction books dealing with controlling time. The book is a quick read, but is interesting. The “basement creatures,” as they call them in the book, aren’t as scary as they are pictured on the cover. Also, the clock doesn’t seem scary, but it is vicious.
There really isn’t a moral to the story, but it’s not like everything has to have a moral. I think that author William Sleator is a great writer because he...more
Josh
Sleator's weird, distant tone can be effective sometimes, but here it's very difficult to see past. Mostly, that's due to the fact that the distant tone belongs to our protagonist, a 13 year old girl.

I love the moral complexity that's introduced early on, but the book doesn't have any way of dealing with the moral questions once they've been posed.

And the ending is not an ending at all but a beginning to the next book in the series, which I doubt I'll be reading.
EmJay
Nov 11, 2007 EmJay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adult readers of science fiction / horror
Annie's self-absorbed friends and relatives rely on her to act as their messenger, a role she begins to resent when she realizes how seldom they take an interest in her problems. After opening THE BOXES, Annie becomes the "nervous system" in a symbiotic relationship between a society of insect-like creatures and the device they revere as their deity. Sleator is like the YA version of Dean Koontz, with horrific plots that hinge on scientific or paranormal phenomena.
Travis
This was a weird book with a disjointed feel that seemed to belong in a series. As I later found, there is another book, but it doesn't seem to tie to or complete this story. At any rate The Boxes was too up in the air for me to find out. It was entertaining, at least for the complete plot of Annie's little race against time with the real estate company.
Swankivy
Holly
As a Young Reader's Choice winner, I expected more from this one. It was ok, but somewhat predictable and not as 'thrilling' as I'd been led to expect. Interesting ideas, but clunky writing, and forgettable characters. He could have done so much more with the concept.
Lisa
This book was alright. I read it for class and it was an interesting book to get ideas and writing started, but not much more than that. I think both boys and girls of ages 9+ will enjoy this adventure book. Nothing for me though.
Michelle
Notes after reading this a second time: Not quite as fabulous as I'd remembered it to be. And parts of it really annoyed me. But I love too much about this book to give it anything less than five stars.
Clackamas
Not as good as Singularity... felt like a story I've read a dozen times. My 13-year old boy liked it a lot though, and he's more of the target audience.
Cynthia E Sherman
This book was okay in my opinion. It follows book one. This is an interesting book, not one of my favorites, but young readers will enjoy this writing.
Leon
I think that this book was great! I don't like the cliff hanger at the end because it is a very open ending. I am looking forward to the next book.
Kimi
I think this is the most bizarre book I have ever read. If I didn't have to read it in school I would definitely have never read it.
Melissa Clark
This book was completely different than what I thought it would be. It wasn't the whole Pandora's box, it had a nice twist.
Kelly Flanagan
Great Short book! YA read, but good for a quick read! Love Sleator's stories, short or long they grab you and make you think!
Chelinda
Loved this series, a unique story line. I recommend this to tween boys as a reader's advisory questions on a regular basis.
Nancy
Weird story. It kept my attention enough to keep me going to the cliff hanger ending. Would recommend for a quick sci fi read.
Magda
1. Weird philosophical premise of open/don't-open the boxes.

2. A happy ending? I wasn't expecting that from Sleator!
Audrey
The story line was good. The Idea was cool but the purpose and the ending.....well there is none.
What's The Name o...: YA, creepy, kinda paranormal, can't remember the author/title [s] 4 65 Jan 21, 2014 09:59AM
book report plz help!!! 1 1 Jul 30, 2011 05:55PM
book report plz help!!! 1 1 Jul 30, 2011 05:54PM
  • The Dark Side of Nowhere
  • Anna to the Infinite Power
  • Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • Dream Storm (Remnants, #11)
  • Eager
  • Space Case
  • A Matter of Profit
  • Eva
  • Gantz /20
  • Last Stop (Watchers, #1)
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • The Atomic Weight of Secrets or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black (The Young Inventors Guild, #1)
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper (Simon Bloom, #1)
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 10 (Deadman Wonderland, #10)
  • When the Tripods Came (The Tripods, #4)
  • Short & Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
William Warner Sleator III was born in Havre de Grace, Maryland on February 13, 1945, and moved to St. Louis, MO when he was three. He graduated from University City High School in 1963, from Harvard in 1967 with BAs in music and English.

For more than thirty years, William Sleator thrilled readers with his inventive books. His House of Stairs was named one of the best novels of the twentieth cent...more
More about William Sleator...
House of Stairs Interstellar Pig (Interstellar Pig #1) The Boy Who Couldn't Die Singularity The Boy Who Reversed Himself