Start by marking “An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach” as Want to Read:
An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach

An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Old Testament is more than a religious history of the nation of Israel. It is more than a portrait gallery of heroes of the faith. It is even more than a theological and prophetic backdrop to the New Testament. Beyond these, the Old Testament is inspired revelation of the very nature, character, and works of God. As renowned Old Testament scholar Bruce Waltke writes in ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about An Old Testament Theology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Old Testament Theology

Nate Claiborne
All that being said, this is still an excellent treatment of Old Testament theology both in terms of style and substance. As I mentioned earlier, Waltke moves rather easily from interacting with obscure journal articles and doctoral dissertations to devotional insights and short pithy remarks ("tweetables" if you will). I really liked his thematic use of "Gifts" and will probably put it to use in my own Old Testament class in the coming weeks and months. Waltke is a scholar par execellence and p ...more
Ashley Thomas
Aug 24, 2008 Ashley Thomas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in theology or Biblical studies.
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent and very recently written Theology of the OT. Not for the faint of heart, since Waltke is nothing if not verbose. In this book especially his love for over-exploring a topic is demonstrated, but at the same time it is an excellent resource for anyone studying the Old Testament.
Jeffrey
Jul 19, 2008 Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Wait! What do I, an ST, AP, and CH/HT guy, doing with a book about the Bible? :)
Bryan McWhite
Only 200 pages in, but this book is worth its weight (and it's a heavy one) in gold. I'm reading it while I work through Genesis, and it is fantastically edifying and eye-opening.
Mike
Dec 31, 2008 Mike added it
I have read other books by waltke and they have all been excellent. From what I've read this one won't disappoint.
Shawn
This was a really good OT theology. Recommended for anyone studying the OT text.
Mark Taylor
Jul 05, 2011 Mark Taylor marked it as started---shelved
Good so far, but I got distracted. Waiting to get back to it.
Maer
Feb 19, 2009 Maer added it
Reading
Erica
Erica is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
William Sandell
William Sandell marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Chris Argo
Chris Argo marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Chad Newton
Chad Newton is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2015
Bookman143
Bookman143 marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Benjamin Thompson
Benjamin Thompson marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Edg Latvia
Edg Latvia is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Kevin Maples
Kevin Maples marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Paulo D'oliveira
Paulo D'oliveira is currently reading it
Dec 06, 2014
Nathan Leopard
Nathan Leopard is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Tony
Tony added it
Dec 03, 2014
Steve Stanley
Steve Stanley marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • The Shape of Sola Scriptura
  • According to Plan
  • Solomon Among the Postmoderns
  • Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament: A Decision-Maker's Guide to Shaping Your Church
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Bible and the Future
  • The Pentateuch as Narrative: A Biblical-Theological Commentary
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion? Genesis: A Commentary The Book of Proverbs: Chapters 1-15 An Introduction to Biblical Hebrew Syntax The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 15-31