Start by marking “I'll Take Manhattan” as Want to Read:
I'll Take Manhattan

I'll Take Manhattan

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,753 ratings  ·  54 reviews

Here is Judith Krantz's greatest triumph—I'll Take Manhattan.In the high-stakes world of magazine publishing, she weaves a dazzling tale of love and betrayal, and creates her most joyous character—sensational Maxi, an uninhibited woman who unexpectedly discovers that her talent for life is matched by a hunger to succeed.

Gorgeous, flamboyant Maxi Amberville is twenty-nine a

Published April 20th 1986 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Take Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Take Manhattan

shuurei
i love this book. i enjoyed reading it. it was recommended by friend laurie. it is also helpful for my project so i was hitting 2 birds with one stone. this is my first time to encounter a character like Maxi Amberville which depicted in the book as stubborn, naughty, fun and a con artist (according to her) all in one. i also like India and Angelica. India being a beautiful and smart while Angelica being the daughter of Maxi is embodied of a high level of maturity. i agree with Rocco, who would ...more
Sorcha

Gorgeous, flamboyant Maxi Amberville is twenty-nine and has already discarded three husbands on two continents. Life is a stream of endless pleasure in her lavish Trump Tower apartment--until her widowed mother married a man who plots to sell her father's magazine empire. And Maxi turns her incredible lust for living into a passionate quest for power.

Maxi takes over the small weekly Buttons And Bows. She gathers her hot-blooded ex-husband, sassy daughter and a coterie of the powerful elite. The
Jade Cary
Judith Krantz is the kind of writer you just don't see anymore. When I first read I'll Take Manhattan in the 80's, I read it as a reader. It took me away to places I'd never been before: Monte Carlo, New York, a drafty castle in Scotland. It immersed me in a life I knew nothing about: publishing, extreme wealth, bitter siblings who would stop at nothing to destroy others. Exciting stuff.

This time around, I read ITM as a writer. Judith write with a flair rarely seen in romances anymore. She can,
Tiffany
It is funny reading other reviews, how many people stole/borrowed/were lent this book from their mother's bookshelves as a child. I had seen the Valerie Bertinelli miniseries on TV, and so my mother, having her own selection of trashy books in her bookshelf, also lent me this one, when I was about 14. I skipped all the sex parts... But I loved the story about the magazine published, so much so that I did my own bi-monthly fashion magazine with my own drawings and fashions, which I think I kept u ...more
Kate Quinn
I randomly decided to reread this book after something else reminded me of it. I last read it in my early high school years (one of the many books I borrowed from my grandmother's paperback collection) and fell in love with it. Rereading it close to two decades later, it seems a lot sillier (nearly every single character is the most beautiful striking person and ever and the most amazingingly successful in their chosen field from actress to chef to photographer) and yet I still found the story e ...more
Lisa
I remember reading and re-reading this years ago from the very sparse collection on my mum's bookshelf at home. Absolute trashy escapism set amongst the glamour and sexiness of an american magazine business - I have fond memories of this book. I think there was also a Dynasty-esqe glossy tv mini-series in the 80's.
Amaryllis DUCIEL
In my opinion, this book is a very good one, with realistic enough plot and characters - if you let aside the fact that they are all describe as outrageously beautiful -, but for one single element : the lack of disgust - or, at the very least, disdain - shows by society at the fact that Lily Amberville married her deceased husband's brother, and so soon after his death, at that. I thought for sure one such an act would make of her an outcast in Manhattan's high society, but there is no sign sho ...more
Monica Deica metaxas
What I like about this book is the multiple stories and couples, but with great focus on the main character Maxi. What I dislike about this book though is that some characters do appeal more than others and the least appealing ones do need some depth to understand them more.
Samra Muslim
Read this book after watching the mini series of the same name ... and instantly fell in love!

If ever in life I end up being an entrepreneur, I will give full credit to B&B and this book ...!! It made me dream anything is possible with hard work, dedication and attitude!!
I read this book in high school. I had no idea I was picking up a romance novel with very explicit sexual encounters, but yep, that is what it is! It became one of the books that shaped my young psyche. This and all of the Clan of the Cave Bear books.
Manuela
Non posso definirlo brutto, ma è stata una mezza delusione. Judith Krantz mi aveva abituato decisamente bene, con romanzi ricchi di passione, pathos, intrighi e coinvolgimento. Con questo però, fa un mezzo buco nell'acqua: la storia e lo spunto sarebbero interessanti, ma lo sviluppo l'ho trovato un po' superficiale e affrettato, meno approfondito rispetto ad altri suoi romanzi.
Qualche decina di pagine in più non avrebbe fatto male, e avrebbe aggiunto qualcosa di più alla storia e alla definizio
Julia
Mmm this book was lovely.
It's completely my kind of book, long and juicy and full of revenge and secrets and passion. And unlike other similar books I've read, it didn't end super fast and unsatisfyingly, but it was drawn out just enough to not make me disappointed.
The writing was also great. And I loved how the author, instead of having long pointless conversations between two characters, would have just one paragraph of a person speaking, as if not letting the other answer. But you still got
Deb Sharp
Another great book by Judith Krantz, I can't get enough of this great Author! :)
Claire Vella
At times a bit boring because there are a lot of characters simultaneously! Couldn't make head or tails at various points of the story! Thought it was better!
Theresa Williams
read while down with mono not a baf read
Vick Mederata
Admirable ambitious.
All Booked Out
Read when I was young.... I know I enjoyed it!
I used to sneak and read this on my mom's book shelf as a child and was shocked by its dirty nature. It one day disappeared, much to my chagrin, and it wasn't until a year or two ago that I found it on the Half Price Books clearance shelf and re-visited it. It wasn't nearly as good as I remembered, but it will always hold a fond place in my heart.
Qurat
I read this book in lots of bits and pieces: I am busy and it was lying on my shelf unread. Well, it was hard to put down. The story is intriguing: it begs you to read on. The characters are well developed and it's written well. It is a story that amalgamates many other small one and it doesn't get boring anywhere. I enjoyed this piece of fiction.
alissa bader
read this when I was in high school for the good parts. There were some good good parts. Some really quite excellent good parts, as I recall. I don't remember the plot line or anything. I don't think it mattered. Also, the heroine "foamed into a room." I still wonder how that's possible to do in real life.
Rebecca
This is probably the millionth time I've read this book, but I just love it. Judith Krantz is my favorite trash novelist and this is likely my favorite book of hers. They all involve ridiculously wealthy people that are ridiculously beautiful and have a ridiculous amount of sex. The perfect bathtub book.
Lavender
I read this a long time ago and remember loving it, and the character, Maxi. Rich and spoiled Maxi has to learn to take charge of her own life, and eventually her father's magazine empire. This is the ultimate beach book, it will keep you engrossed through the whole read. Lots of naughty fun as well.
Michael
My mom gave this to me when I was over my parents house for dinner. She just raved about it. Do not read this if you have a penis. You will hate it. I promise. Even if you are gay you will hate it. This is for women only. And then only middle aged women. Young women will hate this too.
May
I can understand why this author – in the category of mass market books – does so well. Though the story is about upper crust Manhattan society, the author has made the characters approachable and likable. Plenty of twists and turns, you feel as if you know the family.
Rapti Gupta
Thanks to boring college classes and an interesting bestie (aminath sanooha shameem) i forced this book on me and behold! i was on a glee ride as i swiftly devoured the book. Its fast pace and shades in the protagonist - Maxi's character were most intriguing!

this book is fun!
Faye
Soap operas have nothing compared to this book. I will give the author credit though...she did a good job giving a background story to the family in the book. Except that it takes up several chapters and you're wondering what on earth is going on the whole time.
Christian
I haven't finish the book yet, but I'm already falling in love with Maxie. She's one of the unbeatable woman ever. And she's lucky having that HOT italian stallion. Hohohoho!
Sbacchi33
If you liked "Dynasty" back in the 1980's you'll love this. I found them both void of any value and a complete waste of time. But, hey, that's just me.
  • Lace
  • Deceptions
  • 79 Park Avenue
  • The Bestseller
  • Hollywood Husbands
  • Last Summer
  • Once Is Not Enough
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • Queenie
  • The Librarian: A Novel
  • An Indecent Obsession
Judith Krantz (born Judith Tarcher), is an American novelist who writes in the romance genre. Her works include Princess Daisy and Till We Meet Again.
More about Judith Krantz...
Scruples Mistral's Daughter Princess Daisy Till We Meet Again Scruples Two: Fifteen Years Later