Start by marking “Etiquette” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,334 ratings  ·  124 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Etiquette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Etiquette

I'm not being ironic when I write that Post is an ethical philosopher of the American type, with Santayana and James. British and French etiquette books, and many American ones, are about preserving class structure or social climbing (how to mask one's Inferior birth). But Post's dicta are all based on one pragmatic goal: keep your feet off the other guy's toes, or, don't take up more space than's yours.

It's the basis of the sweetest, most generous treatment of the other: don't open your car do
Nov 22, 2007 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Makes a great bridal shower or graduation gift
I am kind of obsessed with etiquette. This book is a bible of propriety. It seriously addresses EVERYTHING you could possibly wonder about. Along with the basics, like when to write a thank-you note, which fork to use, how to act at various religious ceremonies, what to wear to a semi-formal wedding in November (for example), at what age children should be saying "please" and "thank you," the "who pays?" date dilemma, how to handle a party guest who stays too long, and how much to tip for variou ...more
Aug 28, 2008 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is self-help so it only gets three stars. When I was a teenager on homeschool, my sister and I decided we would like to do an independent study class on proper etiquette for fun. This book was so interesting! I feel so much more cultured and educated now that I know the proper ways things are supposed to be done. And it's not something 'snooty' to know about - it's about truly loving and respecting other people. That's what etiquette is all about. It's shows real class. And you don't have t ...more
Sweetman Sweetman
Nov 23, 2009 Sweetman Sweetman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, there is not one person on this planet who would not benefit
Recommended to Sweetman by: Grandmother
Shelves: influential
Ah, to be gently guided in behaving correctly. It's what separates us humans from the rest of the animals and that separation is, at times it would seem, quickly closing together. This is a wonderful book. It should be on everyone's bookshelf and referred to so often as to be dog-eared and falling apart.
I love this book. I love that it can give me patience and restraint when I want to misbehave, say the wrong thing and act like a buffoon in public. I love that it gives me great examples for my
This book is a classic and a must for any young woman. I read it cover to cover when I was 21 as it was a gift from my grandmother. It is a pity that so many of these graces and little niceties are going by the wayside in the modern world. I think our youth today would greatly benefit from this book. Should be required reading!
(Note: I do not find the Peggy Post revised editions as good as the original Emily Post guides.)
Stacy Oliver
Jul 05, 2007 Stacy Oliver rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is a must-have for every home. I coveted it for years until finally someone - my father - acknowledged my unhealthy obsession with etiquette was best abetted by adding to the bookshelf. The thumbed guide and index make this an effortless reference book.

Confession: Sometimes I come home from social gatherings and secretly chronicle what my friends have done that Emily Post would abhor with a silent head shake.
Meghan Pinson
I found the 1945 edition of this book on the free shelves outside the library ... learned a lot about "Managing the Small Household" with only one servant!
I found it amusing.
One of the great mysteries of my childhood was why my mother thought it was important enough to have this book on the shelf. I tried to understand it, but it seemed too complicated. I remember it now as byzantine. I associated it with many of the old Hollywood movies I saw on TV. They depicted wealthy families speaking with round-toned diction and wearing dressing gowns and negligees at the breakfast table. Their servants brought in soft boiled eggs in special cups. It also seemed to have someth ...more
Eugenia O
Etiquette should not be a foreign word! Pick this up, let's be more like ladies and gentlemen! There was a time that manners meant something, now the boys wear their clothes low to show off their boxers - do they know what that means in prison? Could somebody please tell these boys that if they were in prison, wearing their pants below their buttholes means they are available? It is easy access for Butch??....and for girls who wear their clothes too tight!

Take time to learn how to go to dinner
I'm at a bit of a loss as to who would read this book. Perhaps in 100 years it would be interesting to someone wondering about a general overview of social mores of our time, or perhaps a studious immigrant would want to read it to get a general idea of what people think is polite in America.

For an immigrant from a less violent country, this would perhaps be especially useful as the book repeats several times how important the advice is to keep you from being killed. In fact, I was a little surp
Best enjoyed in good company.

I read this aloud with friends over a period of cold winter nights. The disparity between expected public behavior to that of a century ago is laughable (or deplorable). Makes for great conversational fodder. I expect to pull this out again for a dinner club I'm starting.

Another great surprise - my copy has my grandmother's notes in the margins from when it was required reading in college in the 1940's.
Cam M.
Just one problem: what good is knowing the rules if no one else knows them (or even cares about them)?
Gail Welborn
***If you have questions on the "how-to" manners for social media, this is a must read..."

The 18th edition of Emily Post’s book, “Etiquette” is all about “manners for a new world” and not just table manners like some might think. This edition includes “new trends, topics and societal hot zones,” from everyday behaviors, to FaceBook etiquettes, job searches, “life in the workplace” and more. Principle authors include fresh new voices of fourth generation Posts, Peggy, Daniel and Lizzie.

From the
This 17th edition of Emily Post's Etiquette, published in 2004, was a great comprehensive guide to etiquette. It is written by Emily's great granddaughter, Peggy Post. It has a wealth of information and is well organized and indexed and very complete. I would like to own a copy of this (or of a later edition if there is one).

I was preparing to teach a youth group from church about etiquette. This book was wonderful. I found explanations about what etiquette is and why it is important, which I u
This will be one of the shortest reviews I've ever written on Goodreads:
1. Because of a weird argument with my ever so culturally inclined mother regarding proper plate and utensil placement on a table, I decided to check out the two standbys of etiquette for the modern age:
"The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette : 50th Anniversary Edition" by Nancy Tuckerman and Nancy Dunnan and this book.

2. Read through the Vanderbilt (yes, I read that massive book) and learned new things about things
Feb 07, 2015 Adriana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by:
I do not own this lovely new version of Emily Post's Etiquette in a purple cover. I do however own a lovely well worn version of one of her originally published books by the same title. I read this book in it's entirety and since then, keep it on my shelf for reference which believe it or not, I pull out and use quite often. This is by far one of my favorite books.
The first section, which deals with how to converse with tact and grace, I really enjoyed and learned a few tricks I'll employ in my everyday. I was really excited to move on and see what the rest of the book had to offer, but unfortunately everything afterwards is hopelessly old-fashioned.

I can't really be too surprised about that, and it was an interesting flip-through if nothing else.
Erinne Bruce
A book that everyone must own. It helps to explain those social situations where you dont know what to do or what to say. It isn't all about what fork to use, rather, it explains what it means to be a polite and gracious person in your family, your circle of friends, your work and in society in general. Simple things that too often people forget, like making sure you greet everyone when you enter a gathering, or making sure that you the first thing out of your mouth when you get home is more aki ...more
James Powers
My edition's from the 40s (and signed by the author!) I wonder to what extent the family has changed it over the years. Anyway, this is a really good book, with not nearly as much useless information as is commonly believed. Much of it is quite philosophical.
This review is for the 17th edition, from 2004. I have no idea what made me pick this up at the library. I skipped over a few things that I will really never need to know (like etiquette while playing golf), but I read most of the 847 pages with the gaze of an anthropologist. Some of the topics were unfamiliar to me - like wedding announcements, I don't know people whose parents would pay for their wedding or would be "presenting them." HOWEVER, there was a paragraph on moshing etiquette. Swear. ...more
Feel like this book should be a required reading in school, much of the info in here is common sense however it is great to get a refresh and reminder of certain behaviours you have that may affect other people around you.
Interesting from a historical perspective, but I didn't feel I the advice was widely applicable to modern society.
Peter Stern
Essential for civilization. Handy to have around as well, to settle social conundrums or prop a door open.
Mahmoud Ramadan
Collective life situations that teach you good manners which require only kindness and common sense.
Always fun to compare this streamlined 1984 (14th edition) with my 1959 (9th edition) book. It would appear a new edition comes out every 4-5 years, as I think an 18th edition is now available? Gee, who'd figure etiquette changed that rapidly? Ah, heck - with the degeneration of civil society today we should be down to a comic-book size/version by 2020 ish! And then after almost a hundred years of instructing ladies and gentlemen about pinkie-extension during tea - they'll be advising us on how ...more
The edition I have is from the early 70's and there are things that are probably considered outdated but at the same time are tradition in our culture. Like Men sitting on the outside of the aile.

I enjoy most the excerpts from the original Emily Post Etiquette, she was a real hard-ass and let her opinion be know.

I've learned about calling cards which are a big deal in my Jane Austen and similar reading and I've come to appreciated the art of letter writing much more.

I great book for the sociol
Apr 07, 2012 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Helen-joe Owens
This was my grandfather's etiquette book. I gather it was used to raise my mother. It usually sits on my desk in my classroom. There is a passage I read to my students each year. Believe it or not, there isn't much in here regarding children. That's because children were thought of differently in 1940. Anyhow, the passage I read likens children to dogs. Seriously!

I find this book helpful for how to respond to social invitations, etc. I attempt to follow proper form in those settings even if othe
I love this book... who really knows proper etiquette anymore? Do you know when to wear and take off your hat? Do you know about real cell phone etiquette. I think etiquette is a lost art. No one wants to do it anymore. This is a must own book for those of us who aren't invited to fabulous parties... this way we can reverence this book so we know what to do!! There's even a section about text-message etiquette!! Please buy this book for the Young Adults in your life.
  • Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Things You Need To Be Told
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide to Caring for Everything in Your Home
  • The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette: 50th Anniversay Edition
  • Occasions
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Art and Power of Being a Lady
  • Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House
  • As a Lady Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Robert's Rules of Order
  • The 2,548 Best Things Anybody Ever Said
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Etiquette For Dummies
Emily Post was a United States author who promoted what she considered "proper etiquette". She wrote books surrounding the topic of etiquette.

Emily's family that continue the ettiquette genre books:
Elizabeth L. Post, granddaughter-in-law
Peggy Post wife of Emily's great-grandson, Allen Post
Peter Post, great-grandson
Cindy Post Senning, great-granddaughter and a director of The Emily Post Institute
More about Emily Post...

“Etiquette requires the presumption of good until the contrary is proved.” 11 likes
“Persons under the shock of genuine affliction are not only upset mentally but are all unbalanced physically. No matter how calm and controlled they seemingly may be, no one can under such circumstances be normal. Their disturbed circulation makes them cold, their distress makes them unstrung, sleepless. Persons they normally like, they often turn from. No one should ever be forced upon those in grief, and all over-emotional people, no matter how near or dear, should be barred absolutely. Although the knowledge that their friends love them and sorrow for them is a great solace, the nearest afflicted must be protected from any one or anything which is likely to overstrain nerves already at the threatening point, and none have the right to feel hurt if they are told they can neither be of use or be received. At such a time, to some people companionship is a comfort, others shrink from their dearest friends.” 7 likes