Start by marking “The Myth Of Alzheimer's: What You Aren't Being Told About Today's Most Dreaded Diagnosis” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Dr. Peter Whitehouse will transform the way we think about Alzheimer’s disease. In this provocative and ground-breaking book he challenges the conventional wisdom about memory loss and cognitive impairment; questions the current treatment for Alzheimer’s disease; and provides a new approach to understanding and rethinking everything we thought we knew about brain aging.
The
Published January 8th 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth Of Alzheimer's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth Of Alzheimer's

Matthew Gatheringwater
Apr 17, 2008 Matthew Gatheringwater rated it did not like it
Shelves: caregiving
This is a dangerous and evil book.

Whitehouse starts with a premise that is supported by facts: Alzehimer's and dementia are terms of art rather than precise medical conditions, and what we label disease is often a product of cultural expectations of aging. So far, so good. Unfortunately, he goes much further, making claims that are not validated by research.

For example, the author sees dementia as a kind of spiritual fulfillment--in a vague, "I'm not a Buddhist, but I integrate his wisdom into
Sherry Monger
Nov 06, 2015 Sherry Monger rated it liked it

Dr. Whitehouse is a geriatric neurologist who is concerned with society's way of viewing Alzheimer's -as a disease that we have to win the war against. He says seeing patients as victims in a vicious battle is unhelpful and causes a great deal of anxiety in all of us.
Dr. Whitehouse prefers that we see Alzheimer's as a part of the natural brain aging process that we will all experience, to one degree or another. We need to learn how to make sufferers of dementia comfortable in their own communiti
Jim
Nov 30, 2008 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Co-authored with Daniel George, Whitehouse expresses his opinion that Alzheimer's isn't truly a disease; the well-known symptoms are caused by an aging brain. The two of them discuss the original naming as well as pharmaceutical products currently being prescribed and the ill effect it has had on patients. The inevitable loss of brain functioning would be better served (they feel) through diet, exercise, reduction of environmental exposures as well as stress, and participating in vital activitie ...more
Katharine Ott
Jun 09, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it liked it
"The Myth of Alzheimer's" - written by Peter J Whitehouse and published in 2008 by St Martin's Press. Local Cleveland physician Whitehouse imparts some good advice and also the awareness that he has worked very hard in this field.
D
Apr 11, 2014 D rated it it was amazing
Powerful book by a top expert. Relax about so-called Alzheimer's. If it scares you, you'll feel so much better after reading this. If you're old, pass it on to your kids.
Annette
Sep 28, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
An excellent book for anyone with aging parents or someone aging themselves. It challenges the notion that Alzheimer's is always a death sentence and challenges the urge to "label and classify" people. It recognizes that cognitive decline is a part of life and challenges people (caretakers and elderly alike) to think out of the box for ways to make the most of what is left and to live without so much fear of the future.
Sally
Apr 02, 2008 Sally rated it liked it
A leading clinician and researcher makes a convincing case that Alzheimer's is a flawed, counter-productive diagnosis, a disease without a single cause or likely cure. He seeks to help people live in a preventative way and then deal with the challenges of an aging brain in life-affirming ways.
Natalie
Sep 16, 2008 Natalie rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I agree with most of his basic points -- but didn't really get why he kept trumpeting his point of view as so radical and new. Yes, maybe 15 years ago. It's an OK book but it wasn't what I was hoping for.
Jane
Jan 22, 2008 Jane rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in memory loss
Very interesting ideas relating to brain aging. To sum it up: mind over matter. If one and one's doctor has a positive attitude towards brain aging it can not be a death sentence.
Tory Wagner
Sep 04, 2011 Tory Wagner rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting book. Whitehouse is very full of himself, but he includes some good information. I especially liked the sections on preventive care.
Laurel Hicks
There is some good information here, despite the puzzling title. Much repetition, but I suppose that's needed in memory loss.
Mike
Jan 20, 2009 Mike rated it it was ok
A very interesting and positive approach to brain aging, except for too much on the science and effects of prescriptions.
Nancy
Aug 18, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
I heard the author speak at the U of M. This book provides a controversial new way to think about brain aging.
Joyce
Oct 08, 2008 Joyce rated it it was ok
The information is current, but the author's voice is too arrogant for me.
James Tanner
May 03, 2009 James Tanner rated it liked it
Should be read by anyone concerned about Alzheimers
Anick
Anick marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Sue Klasing
Sue Klasing is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2016
Booklover
Booklover marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
H. Larson
H. Larson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Carmon
Carmon rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Amir Rey
Amir Rey rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Joann
Joann added it
Apr 30, 2016
Alison
Alison added it
Apr 27, 2016
Jennifer Adams
Jennifer Adams marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
AfraDm
AfraDm marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016