The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #4)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  345,228 ratings  ·  8,597 reviews
Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears on campus, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.
In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half...more
Published March 6th 2008 by Disney Hyperion Books (first published January 1st 2008)

City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
19th out of 17,272 books — 47,464 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
227th out of 32,516 books — 123,458 voters

More lists with this book...

Namratha
After a week of some truly disappointing reads, I am thoroughly glad to say that Percy Jackson and The Battle of The Labyrinth lived up to my expectations and was utterly engaging.

...............................
Half-boy, half-God Percy Jackson starts off the new school year by battling a pair of ‘ Empousai ’ and blowing up his school. Again. He also runs into Rachel Elizabeth Dare, the mysterious mortal girl who can see through the mist.

It’s time to head back to Camp Half-Blood, because trouble...more
Cara
Why did I wait so long to read these? I have no good explanation and if you ask me I'll just give you the shifty eyes and mumble something incoherent because I don't have a good reason. What counts though is that I am reading them now right? On the upside I don't have to agonize for the long wait for new books to come out, but still... if I had just known!

So as expected Percy's summer is going to be filled with another quest and yet another colossal problem that brings him closer to the prophecy...more
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I can't tell whether this is my favorite of the existing Percy Jackson stories. After a while, it has become just a story that I must read because it's in the series and there is no way that I can stop now! But it is definitely highly entertaining and I especially appreciate the fact that Riordan manages to make the young characters grow up convincingly as modern teens. I have a fascination with mazes and labyrinths so anything with this setting tends to make me happy, although I did not quite "...more
Wendell Adams
The Battle of the Labyrinth is the fourth of Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, following after The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, and The Titan's Curse. For those readers who have been off the grid for years, Percy Jackson is the half-mortal son of Poseidon, Greek God of the Sea, who has been training at Camp Half-Blood for years to confront the ominous Kronos and his Titans; a group of divine beings determined to avenge their ancient defeat and destroy the Olympian g...more
Valerie
Already I can't wait to start reading The Last Olympian, just have to wait for nine other people to read it first at the library. That's no time at all right? I'm trying to reassure myself.

This is my favorite of the series so far. It was slightly less funny in this ones but its totally made up for by all the action and gods and characters. I mean gosh, there are a lot more gods, monsters, and heroes than I gave mythology credit for.

We see Percy come out and act like a real true blue hero thoug...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Well, now I've read this for the third time––and it was still fantastic, of course. This one has always been one of my favorites (I'm not sure whether this one or the fifth one is my favorite, so I guess I'll consider them tied). Part of what I love about it is that the old gang is back together (Percy, Annabeth, and Grover that is) so it's more reminiscent of the first book. And Tyson and Rachel are awesome, too.

I also love that Annabeth leads the quest in this one (about time, pfft) because sh...more
JoLee
I could not wait for the 91 people who are ahead of me in the queue at the library. I bought this book, and I am going to buy the others in the series as well. I think I'll want to reread these stories.

I really powered through the last couple books in this series. This time around, I wanted to slow down a bit. So, I alternated between this book and a collection of Greek mythology. I was happy I did because in The Battle of the Labyrinth Percy, Annabeth, Tyson, and Grover have to deal with sever...more
Jonathan

I have a kind of unconditional love relationship with this series. By which I mean I love it regardless of what anyone else might say. And this book, The Battle of the Labyrinth was a favourite in the series when I read it. That said I don't want to merely write a review that indicates my emotional reaction to this series but also my thoughtful philosophical reaction.

I am on record as having said that I can't appreciate a book unless there's something for me to take out of it. No doubt there wou...more
Alejandra "Allie"
Jun 04, 2008 Alejandra "Allie" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy, mythology, and YA book lovers
Shelves: fantasy
. . . that I can enjoy a book series as much as Harry Potter!

I really love Percy Jackson and the Olympians, probably even more than the kids. As I have said before, they are even better read-a-louds, to my elementary age children, than the Potter series. The dialogue is rich (work on your many voices) and just about any page is a great stopping point because there are so many cliff hanging action moments. Nothing is ever slow in this series.

Probably the best thing about Percy Jackson in the Oly...more
Renz
”A section of wall. A boulder. A doorway. A sewer entrance. But it would have the mark of Daedalus on it. A Greek Δ, glowing in blue."

The mark of Daedalus is a mark that represents the entrance to the Labyrinth. Daedalus was a skillful craftsman and artisan. He was also an inventor, architect and a genius who created the Labyrinth, a maze built for King Minos and it traps the Minotaur. Daedalus is one of the major characters in this book and his Labyrinth served as the central plot element.

The...more
midnightfaerie
Much like the first three books, but better with each one. The story line has lots of fun action, that keeps you involved and engaged and wanting to turn the page. And my favorite aspect again, is the educational value this book has. I had forgotten just how much there was to the mythology behind the stories. Not something I'd ever read again as an adult, unless I was reading it to my kids, which very well may happen. But a great series for middle school age or maybe even a little younger, depen...more
Andre
The Battle of the Labyrinth was a huge disappointment to me. It did not get good until halfway through. The first half of the book was action-packed like the first three books of the series, but the action was, for lack of a better term, dumb. At the start of the series, Percy Jackson was twelve. Throughout The Battle of the Labyrinth, he was fourteen. The book was written as if there was no mental development or personal growth during those two years. Percy behaves as if he had learned nothing....more
Pao Lerman
You shall delve in the darkness of the endless maze,

The dead, the traitor, and the lost one raise.

You shall rise or fall by the ghost king's hand,

The Child of Athena's final stand.

Destroy with a hero's final breath,

And lose a love to worse than death.

When demonic cheerleaders invade his high school, Percy Jackson hurries to Camp Half Blood, from whence he and his demigod friends set out on a quest through the Labyrinth, while the war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws n

Jeff
By far the best in the series currently. Fast paced, action packed and again a fabulous cliffhanger at the end. I thought it would be difficult for riordan to top his first instalment, but I was wrong. The Battle of the Labyrinth was fantastic, one of the best middle grade books I have read.
Mike (the Paladin)
If you've read my reviews of the other books in this series then you know of my disappointment with it. I suppose if you could hear me I'd open my review of this addition to the series this way....

sigh.

In one of the reviews I read of one of the volumes in this series by someone who gave it 5 stars the reviewer opened by observing that they knew little about Greek myth...but like the story.

Okay, I'll try to take "that attitude". Allow me though first to add a but....But, if a book or series of bo...more
Ann
I really loved this fourth installment in the Percy Jackson series! It was interesting and informative (something I always appreciate from Riordan - not only the mythology research he must have done, but current research about the country and landmarks).

I definitely felt like Percy was growing up in this book and felt the flavor of the book matched that - a little more detailed and a little less clear on those 'black-and-white' lines. Things are still building for the "finale" and I'm really cu...more
Alejandra
Ayer me regalaron otros dos libros de Percy Jackson, y este fue uno de ellos. Los leí los dos entre las once de la noche y las tres de la mañana (lo que es el vicio...)y de verdad me gustaron muchísimo.

Estos libros son muy fáciles de leer. Son ligeros, divertidos y siempre mantuvieron mi interés. Además, tienen ese toque de la Mitología Griega al que no me puedo resistir (las mitologías conforman parte de "los amores de mi vida". Les amo. Si fuera legal, les pediría matrimonio).

También es algo...more
junia
So this is not just a review of the Battle of the Labyrinth but a review of the series overall so far.

In general, I don't like how these books are written so casually... and first person in general feels "cheat-y" .. but then it's also good for giving us observations without giving things away.. if only percy weren't so dense at times. hahah.

but I like how everything is so carefully knit together; kind of like an easier version of a detective novel, where the more knowledge you know, the easier...more
Aideeeee
Tío Rick, si querías algo de mí ya lo tienes.

Lamento ofrecerte mi corazón en piezas, pero eso es por tu causa. Ese "y sí..." simplemente me ha desmembrado el alma.

Qué les digo, otro libro genial. Cada vez son mejores, el crecimiento de Percy me obsesiona porque increíblemente su agradable sentido del humor perdura.

Fue genial ver a casi todos crecer un poco y lograr sus objetivos. Vale, ese "casi" debe ser explicado.

Soy fan del estancamiento de Annabeth, fue maravillosamente doloroso leer cóm...more
Fenia
OH GOD!!! How is this possible?? How can i love each book more and more?? WOW! I think 'wow' covers my feelings right now,but let me elaborate. The whole gang was amazing as always, Rachel is a really interesting character,I love how it made Annabeth jealous, and she seems like she's actually a nice person. Nico,well, i loved that kid since book 4,but in this one we got to see how he's growing up and making the right decisions and i just love him!! :D Annabeth and Percy??? Why was i given feels?...more
Rachel Hartman
My son loves these books so, so much. That's what the high rating is for. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, but they all taste the same after a while. I could probably deduce which events happened in which book from the title (like, I bet this was the one with Daedalus in it!) but other than that? It's all a blur.

But my son builds Camp Half-Blood and the Fields of Asphodel out of Lego. He draws up battle plans for the ultimate gods vs titans conflict on Olympus. He is INTO THIS. The mythology...more
Andrew
Although there were a few interesting character additions in this book, I continue to feel that the series suffers from poor character development. I can live with the plot holes and narrative shortcomings, but the weak character development really hurts these books. In the Harry Potter series, when a major character died, it was a big deal because of the emotional attachment the reader has formed with the character. An even better example is the moment when Gandalf appears to die at the hands o...more
Darci Taylor
Nothing much to say except that this was another amazing installment. I am loving this series so much, it's insane.

Favorite line:

"I left him in his wheelchair, staring sadly into the fireplace. I wondered how many times he'd sat there, waiting for heroes that never came back"(231).

And also: I NEED MORE PERCABETH. GODDAMMIT RICK RIORDAN.
Also, the fact that Percy is now the same age as me by the end of this book really hit me hard. He was 12, like, just two weeks ago. Heartbreak.
Oh and lastly, (vi...more
Jarom Hyde
This Is a great book, the fourth in the series and my favourite. I loved it because I love greek myths and these books have them all. The reason why I liked this one over the other books in the series is because I love when they have to into the labyrinth and meet a lot of monsters. I would recommend this book to anyone that loves adventure, but first, read the other books in the series.
Julie
(B) Archer at KIPP
May 23, 2008 (B) Archer at KIPP rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to (B) Archer by: Humberto Alvarado
Shelves: boys-have-read
Have you ever wondered what the life of a half-god would be? You would not want to have the life of Percy Jackson because he does not spend his summer in a good way. In the fourth book in the Percy Jackson series the fate of Camp half-blood lies in the hands of Percy and his half-god friends to save it from being destroyed.
On the day Percy had his high school orientation he got attacked by demons and returns to Camp Half-Blood and finds out that the camp is not safe anymore. The evil Titan lord...more
Why read: Reading the series

What impressed me: I have such absolute love for this series. It continues to impress me with the entertaining manner it teaches mythology, much more than just the basics. The Battle of the Labyrinth delves much deeper into the subject than anything I ever learned in school and I'm loving every minute of it. Percy continues to grow and change, taking on more and having to really start dealing the the hard decisions of life, both demigod and mortal. He continues to gai...more
Donalyn
Jun 04, 2008 Donalyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series
As much as I anticipated the release of TBOTL, I must admit that I was disappointed by this book. There were not enough laughs, and the entire plot seemed like an extended bridge between The Titan's Curse and the final, yet to be published, fifth book.

As much as I love Percy and the gang, I feel that this series has declined in quality from the first book to the current one. I wonder if Rick Riordan is stretching the story a bit thin at this point.

I will still buy and read the last one when it c...more
Stepheny
Can I just start by saying how much I love these books? They are just so fun! I don’t think I have encountered a book that has made me laugh out loud as much as the PJ books have. They are an absolute riot.

Yes, they are children’s books. Yes, they are predictable. Yes, I know, our main characters are not in any real danger….I know these things, and yet I still love these books. This series has not disappointed me yet.

I was glad to have Annabeth back in this installment. Her presence was definit...more
Jarvis "Mclovin"
great book, good plot, suprising ending, defenitly a copy off of harry potter.

carecters. percy-harry
tyson-nevil, or gaup
grover-ron
hermine (wrong spelling)-anabeth
voldemort-kronos
fred and george-those two hermes kids
luke-worm tail
and many others.
Word Game!(my fav game,plz post) 847 374 Jul 28, 2014 11:53PM
Percy Jackson Fan...: The Battle of the Labyrinth! 88 104 Jul 28, 2014 02:15PM
David Estes Fans ...: The Battle of the Labyrinth buddy read 12 19 Jul 14, 2014 11:29PM
Drop It on the Person Below You!!! 122 76 Jul 13, 2014 11:36AM
Who Would You be at Camp Half-Blood?? 115 100 Jul 10, 2014 04:57PM
What would you do in Percy's position 2 18 Jul 05, 2014 01:10PM
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • Point Blank (Alex Rider, #2)
  • Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • Starlight (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #4)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)

More about Rick Riordan...
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)

“Be careful of love. It'll twist your brain around and leave you thinking up is down and right is wrong.” 3725 likes
“People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a person, he can't be fixed.” 2632 likes