Rick Mercer Report: The Book

Rick Mercer Report: The Book

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, prepare yourself for the next big thing in publishing – Rick Mercer Report: The Book.

After a decade-long absence from our book stores, Canada’s preeminent satirist returns with a new collection of rants, writings, and comic encounters with the great and good of politics, showbiz, and literature. (Yes, relive Pierre Berton offering advi...more
Published September 25th 2007 by Doubleday Canada

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodThe Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies
Oh, Canada!
407th out of 461 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Faiza Kanji
Got this book from a friend of a friend through a snail mail book swap. I would never have picked this up for myself so I am glad it came to me the way it did. Every Canadian needs to read this book!

Mercer had me laughing out loud on subway cars all over Toronto. One man stopped me to ask me what was so funny and I even read one of the chapters out loud to him between Sheppard Station and Eglinton! Both of us were laughing together before I had to get off the subway. I'll always remember that as...more
Catherine J.
A good read, but definitely dated. I hear he's writing another book of rants that comes out this autumn, and I will definitely pick that up. That said, these are his rants up to 2008. And, I mean, if you can stand the fact that you know that important stuff happened after that, and it's not in here, it's a witty, interesting read. And really? Even if you *can't* stand that fact, you need to read it anyway. It's Canadian political humour at its best! What more could you want?
Teghan
I would watch Rick Mercer read the phonebook. He's fabulous.

The premier voice in Canada when it comes to politics, Mercer has carved himself a spot in Canadian identity - he is an integral voice and a national treasure.

His collection of rants on a variety of topics is wonderful, albeit they are more enjoyable when watched rather than read, as they are meant to be received that way.
Garet
Newfoundland comedian Rick Mercer first popularized his short, pithy "rants" on the idiocies of Canadian politics on the ensemble show This Hour Has 22 Minutes and made them the centrepiece of his own half-hour news parody, The Rick Mercer Report. This book gathers together some of his most incisive rants from RMR, along with a sprinkling of camera stills and transcribed dialogue of memorable moments with the Canadian "celebrities" brave enough to accept the invitation to appear on his show.

The...more
Lana.
"Canada is weird. Why would the government allow that?" My university friend's words have been in my head for a long time now. Her bafflement was directed at the strange government policy to allow (and support through corporations like CBC) satire and undermining of the government itself. My answer at the time was, “It's because Canadians want it”.

Year later, Rick Mercer is still in the business of doing just that – poking fun at other strange government policies – but also doing something else...more
Pontiki
Love this book. Rick is a brilliant satirist, and even though the book is no longer current, the themes about politics, parties, and ludicrous goings on are all still relevant. If only Canada could have a boring old honest, ethical leader, with educated, capable people in his/her party. The down side would be Rick being put out of a job, probably not worth the sacrifice.
Brad Middleton
Rick Mercer is a well-known Canadian comedian, political satirist and news junkie, having co-created and performed on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" as well as the eponymous "The Rick Mercer Report."

One feature of both shows are his 3-4 minute one-camera rants against the Canadian government and parliamentary system. "Rick Mercer Report: The Book" contains a selection of these rants, as well as excerpts from his interviews with politicians. Short comments are also included to tie it all together.

Rec...more
Rachelle
Bought this to have it signed by Rick a few weeks ago, without realizing the book is about five years old. Oh well. Have never been a big follower of politics in my life, so is it bad that I learned a bit from him? LOL When I watch the show, same thing. My favorite part of the book is toward the end when he's discussing his experiences in Afghanistan. I imagine his newer hard cover is more along those lines of personal stories, etc. so I may pick that one up at some point.
Tam
OK - so I need to qualify this entry because the references in this book won't have the same effect if you aren't familiar w/ the political and cultural workings of Canada. It's hilarious - I laugh myself silly reading this and I read it aloud to my family because it's so freakin' funny. Now I can't give it 5 stars because I'm a Booker Prize snob at heart but I think it's a good read for pure entertainment.
jerry
Mar 06, 2008 jerry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who enjoys Canadian politics and humor
I love Rick Mercer. Through Rick, I learned about Canadian politics, the players, the serious issues, the absurdity. Rick is the sharpest political wit in Canada and his "rants" are famous. This book includes a number of them, as well as a slice of his blogging and other writings, all loosely organized by broad topics. If you like political humor combined with sharp insight, Rick's the man for you too!
Jana
Rick Mercer always represents comedy to me, but this book showed and often unseen sensitive side. I expected my favourite part to be something funny or cynical, but it ended up being what he wrote about our armed forces in Afghanistan. It was surprisingly moving and made me swell with pride to be Canadian. Just one more reason to call Rick a National Treasure!
Very entertaining read! Rick Mercer's humour surrounding Canadian politics makes for a "laugh out loud" book. It can be confusing as the book is compiled by topics and not chronologically; this makes for a better read, but can be confusing as the timespan includes multiple elections and Liberal party leaders.
Jenny
Sep 03, 2010 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: News junkies
Shelves: nonfiction, politics
A love letter, really, to Canada and its risible politics. I share Mercer's enjoyment of Canadian politics as theatre, so I enjoyed reading his short essays, which are all astute even if the fact that they were written for television makes them sound more than a bit pat on the page.
Ray
What is there to say about Rick Mercer? He is definitely a funny and engaging Canadian who knows no boundries. He proved that when he went skinny-dipping with Bob Rae. Keep doing what you do best Rick and we will always enjoy and look forward to our Tuesday nights!
Julia
Rick Mercer's rants uncover the hypocrisy, spin, and politicians' weird and delusional behaviour with uncanny accuracy. Oh, and they're very funny too!

I wish more interviews had been included as the few included were even funnier than the rants.
Josh McConnell
Despite only being a collection of Rick Mercer's rants from his TV show, the rants are so darn good that they are worth revisiting. Mercer is very witty and clever when he writes, making you laugh out loud while reading along. Enjoyed it.
Meena Y. A.
I love the Rick Mercer Report so I was very excited to read this even though it contained rants from 2004 all the way to 2007. I wasn't very familiar with most of the stuff I read, but I still enjoyed the book with all the satire in it! :)
Mark Victor Young
Really funny stuff. Much of it a repeat of previously aired "Rants," but I didn't mind experiencing them again. Does anyone care more about Canadian politics than Rick Mercer? He makes me want to care.
Kaitie
loved this book!! It was funny, and insightful. I really felt like I was sitting across from him while he was talking to me about all fo this, instead of reading a book. Well written, and well put together.
Philippe Robichaud
Rick Mercer's rants are awesome! This book, although a few years old, is still a great read. Even if a lot of the political references are a bit old I found myself laughing out loud more then once.
Wafiyyah
I love Rick Mercer. The book is undoubtably one of the funniest I've read in a long time. I did find that I needed to take a breather in the middle of the book. All that humour can be intense.
Louise
Laugh out loud funny. The guy has the coolest outlook on politics in Canada. So very funny. ADD boy and bipolar man....and Harper being creeped out by people......oh Mercer, how you make me laugh.
Byron Wright
This book is based on the rants from the Rick Mercer Report. Since I never get around to seeing this on TV, I find it very amusing. If you've already seen them all, it may be less so.
Emily
if you are a fan of rick mercer rants, this book is for you. his ability to point out the ridiculousness of canadian politics makes you at once happy to be canadian and hungry for change.
Dee
I like Rick Mercer's show, but this is an incredibly leftist rant. How dare anybody have an opinion that doesn't involve loving everyone everywhere equally. Reminds me of kindergarten.
Tricia Loveridge
Love Rick Mercer...enjoyed the book though I do like the show better....I found you could only read a bit at a time before you had enough for awhile...love his satire though!
Angela
Loved it.
If you like Canadian politics and humour then this will be right up your alley. Also if you like Canadian politics, join the group "Canadian Politics"

Kaia
Fantastic summary of politics in Rick's rants. Looking back at some of the more interesting and ridiculous political situations of the past few years.
Alyson
If you are Canadian, you should read this book. It's smart and funny. I laughed frequently and heartily throughout this book. Highly recommended.
Rhonda
In short, this is the show in book form. If you like the show, you'll like the book. It is quite dated though, which is not surprising.
  • How to Be a Canadian
  • Vinyl Cafe Diaries
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • The High Road
  • The Dogs Are Eating Them Now: Our War in Afghanistan
  • Shootin' the Shit with Kevin Smith: The Best of the SModcast
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • The Game
Whatever's making headlines in this country [Canada]; you can be sure Rick Mercer has something to say about it.

So, where did Rick get his start? Born and raised on The Rock - St. John's, Newfoundland, Rick grew up with a love of performing. As a teenager, he co-founded a comedy troupe called 'Corey and Wade's Playhouse.' And a couple of years later, dropped out of high school to join a clown trou...more
More about Rick Mercer...
A Nation Worth Ranting About Streeters: Rants and Raves from This Hour has 22 Minutes