Start by marking “The Cold War and the Color Line: American Race Relations in the Global Arena” as Want to Read:
The Cold War and the Color Line: American Race Relations in the Global Arena

The Cold War and the Color Line: American Race Relations in the Global Arena

After World War II the United States faced two preeminent challenges: how to administer its responsibilities abroad as the world's strongest power, and how to manage the rising movement at home for racial justice and civil rights. The effort to contain the growing influence of the Soviet Union resulted in the Cold War, a conflict that emphasized the American commitment to ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Harvard University Press (first published January 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Cold War and the Color Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold War and the Color Line

Mar 11, 2008 sdw rated it really liked it
The general idea of this book is that foreign policy and domestic policy need to be put into conversation. During the Cold War the site of intersection for U.S. presidential politics was African Americans in the U.S. South and Africans in South Africa.

We are told immediately in the opening pages of the book that the U.S. embodies a tension (as it has from its first days) between racist colonial traditions and colorblind utopian possibilities. This liberal sentiment comes to fruition when Presid
Aug 16, 2012 Rose rated it liked it

This book is a great read if you're looking for a coherent overview of how US presidents determined their stance on racial equality in the international context of the Cold War. Each chapter discusses a different president's views and how they managed the often conflicting notions of anti-communism and anti-racism. The only president he really skips over is Ford, and I thought the analysis of the Reagan administration could have been more comprehensive, especially in terms of Latin America. Ove
Tuzoanime Ortiz
Oct 25, 2010 Tuzoanime Ortiz rated it liked it
What I got from this book was the perspective of most presidents racial view. Some were racist and other liberal, some fail in their policies and some just ignore the issue. With our first black president is fun to see where this whole race issue will lead.

Other things I got from this book
-The world's view of America discrimination actions.
-foreign policies

3 stars
-Brushed some issues without critical detail
-I didn't get much of what I already knew.
Oct 19, 2014 Brandy rated it really liked it
Read this for a grad class.

Although I had a lot of criticisms for this book in class, I was truly impressed by Borstelmann's work. He leaves out a lot that I would think would make his argument that much stronger, but he couldn't possibly include everything. Rather, he lays a solid framework for others to build on. Very readable, very informative.
May 09, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
Really interesting history of race relations both in America and abroad through the lenses of the presidents, from Truman to Carter. It was an entertaining read that gave an interesting look at the men who set policy both domestic and foreign during the Cold War. This book makes Eisenhower look like a bigot and defends LBJ, not a history you get often. Interesting read.
Aug 05, 2016 GreenEggsNSpam rated it did not like it
(This was an assigned reading for a U.S. Foreign Policy Class)
This book was very informative as far as how people that were not Caucasian were discriminated against.
Unfortunately the focus of the book is not on the Cold War, but on the hypocrisy of U.S. foreign policy when it comes to race, from the conception of the U.S. until the end of the cold war. (hence the 1 star)
May 02, 2010 Jake rated it really liked it
Meticulously researched, well organized and carefully crafted, if you want a good introduction to how American racism and foreign policy collide, this is the book for you. (Plus Dr. Borstellmann teaches at my alma mater so I'm excited to plug the book for that reason. :) )
Places the cold war and race relations side-by-side, showing them as two closely related issues which structured/shaped the history of the US after WWII.
Herbert rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Sonja Snow
Sonja Snow rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Samuel rated it it was ok
May 20, 2012
Ian rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2008
Sarah Baca
Sarah Baca rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Zac rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2008
Billy rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2008
Emily rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2007
Carl rated it it was ok
May 25, 2007
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Dan Hummel
Dan Hummel rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Ben rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Everitt rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2011
Neil Waggoner
Neil Waggoner rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Paul rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Michael Donnellon
Michael Donnellon rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Michaele rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2010
Kara rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Amanda Berry
Amanda Berry rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Brittney Winters
Brittney Winters rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Turbokinny rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2009
Bridget rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016