Start by marking “The World's Best Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
The World's Best Fairy Tales

The World's Best Fairy Tales

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A collection of stories from many islands, each of which has the special flavour of its country of origin.
Published (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Best Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Best Fairy Tales

Lora
Jan 18, 2013 Lora marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, own-unread
Found this at a tag sale for $4. Under the front cover it says To Douglas, from Grandpa Jahn - 1967. I bought it for sentimental reasons - and because I love fairy tales. :)
Kellie
This is the collection I had as a child and picked it up on eBay to read to my girls. My two older kids (8 and 10) loved it, though my five-year-old had trouble following the stories. The language is pretty dense and there is usually only one picture for each story (each one is about 7-20 pages). The illustrations are lovely though. The stories themselves are very Hans Christian Andersen and Brothers Grimm heavy. There are a few stories that take place in Asia. I like this book a lot because it ...more
Kimberly Fields
I grew up on this set of fairytales (there are two volumes to my knowledge). It has a wide variety of fairytales, both well-known, and lesser-known. As a child I spent hours poring over these books and loving the characters-- it was these books that introduced me to most of the fairytales I know and love. The stories themselves are short-- generally about 5 to 10 pages-- so they're a quick read. They also have pretty color illustrations, about one per story. I highly recommend this set for a goo ...more
Pandan Arum
Jul 11, 2013 Pandan Arum is currently reading it
page 70 :
There the tin soldier lay and felt a truly terrible heat. Whether he was suffering from real fire or from love he did not know. All his color had disappeared. Whether this had happened on his travels or whether it was the result of trouble, who can say? He looked at the little lady, she looked at him, and he felt that he was melting.
Cookav
The World's Best Fairy Tales is a compilation of classic fairy tales, from the ones that are more well known, like Rapunzel and the Three Bears, to some more unknown stories, such as Jordina and Joringel and Billy Beg and his Bull.
Some of the stories are touching and cute, like the Steadfast Tin Soldier and Snegourka, the Snow Maiden. But some of them are actually really odd, like The Red Shoes, a story about a girl who puts on shoes that make her dance incessantly and has to have her feet cut
Catherine
This was my favourite collection of fairy tales when I was a child, but a friend borrowed the books shortly before moving overseas and I never saw them again... until I recently found a set on Ebay! Re-reading these is like getting to know old friends anew.
TaniaRina
Favorite book from childhood - just purchased again from Amazon.com!!!
♥ Sarah ♥
Aug 20, 2014 ♥ Sarah ♥ marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, childrens
$0.10 from Salvation Army
Candice
This is an excellent collection of fairy tales. I loved reading ones I knew and also those I didn't - fairy tales are awesome! Basic storytelling is a great form. The simplicity of fairy tales is what makes them amazing - no fluff, talking animals, celebration of nature, and always a moral that you can remember forever. Great book!
Jill McGivering
This was one of my favourite childhood books – and I still read it. As well as all the best-known tales, it included many stories I’ve never seen elsewhere – and spans the magical, the adventurous, the comic and the clever. It’s also a constant reminder that a great story is at the heart of all good writing.
Maria
This is a beautiful, gilt-edged two-volume collection of fairy tales. It contains all sorts of stories, from the well-known to the very obscure. It is what I grew up reading and it helped to foster my love of fiction, especially fantasy. Overall, it is a wonderful read for both children and the young-at-heart.
Monique
Read for research to help me beat the King's Quest games. I enjoyed it as much as I did when I was a little girl. Great collection.
Jackie Shades
an amazing compilation of stories that i've read since i was a little girl, some scary some fun, but all amazing!
Jessica Crane
I loved reading this :)
Sparrow
Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
A
A added it
Jun 27, 2015
Kim Jea
Kim Jea marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Chelsea Powell
Chelsea Powell marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Chloey
Chloey marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Thangaraj
Thangaraj marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Maryann
Maryann marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow Castle
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • The Christmas Genie
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book
  • The Snow Princess
  • Madly, Deeply
  • Lego Ninjago, Masters of Spinjitzu. The Challenge of Samukai
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but
More about Reader's Digest Association...
Back to Basics New Complete Guide to Sewing Strange Stories, Amazing Facts The Girl Who Chased the Moon / Rainwater Laughter Really Is The Best Medicine: America's Funniest Jokes, Stories, and Cartoons