Start by marking “Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea” as Want to Read:

Come on! Be brave!
Just follow me!
And let's explore
the deep blue sea!
Published May 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Plays on the Brown Bear, Brown Bear style of repetitive lines that change by one sea creature/sea element for each page. With a fun twist at the end. Illustrations are lovely.
Stacey Scanlon
May 13, 2012 Stacey Scanlon rated it really liked it
I also read Jan Peck's book Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea to my reception class while on placement. The book tells the story of a little boy who swims under the sea and meets different sea creatures. It has a regular rhyming pattern throughout the book, a perfect book to read aloud to a class. I feel that this book was perfect for reception and maybe even a younger age group. It would open the children's eyes to the world around them. I liked the end of the story when we realise that the ch ...more
DeA
Mar 21, 2017 DeA rated it really liked it
Great colorful and imaginative book about a boy in the bathtub. Very repetitive and great for storytime.
Camille
This is a non-story book that narrates a boy snorkeling and coming across different sea animals. Turns out that he's in the bathtub, but, OH! What an imagination!
Anyway, I put this on my Interactive Books shelf because I would use the prose as a call-and-response book reading. For example:
Reader: "Way down deep..."
Audience: "Way down deep..."
Reader: "...in the deep blue sea,"
Audience: "...in the deep blue sea,"
Reader: "I spy a sea horse..."
Audience: "I spy a sea horse..."
Reader: "...racing by me
Elle Markov
Feb 09, 2017 Elle Markov rated it really liked it
When you were little bath time was the best, well, as long as you got to bring toys in. With the right toys you could be anything you wanted; a pirate, a mermaid, a scuba-dive; with your toys and imagination it could be so much fun.

Well, it’s bath time for out little protagonist and he’s decide to go explore the deep blue sea and see what creatures he can find.

A perfect read for the little ones, right before bed.

Rating 4 out of 5
Read@Book
Peanut
Jun 17, 2014 Peanut rated it really liked it
MOMMY: 4.5 for this book. Yen Yen picked it up at the aquarium and it was an immediate hit. The rhyme and repetition make this book interactive as Peanut was volunteering the next line by the second time we read it (3 yrs old). This is a cute story about all the things this little boy finds while he's diving in the deep blue sea looking for treasure. Cute little twist of imagination at the end. Bright illustrations without being overwhelming.

PEANUT: He loves the rhyme and occasionally chooses to
Eileen
Sep 26, 2011 Eileen rated it it was ok
This book tells the story of a little boy who swims under the sea and meets different sea creatures. It has a regular rhyming pattern throughout the book, a perfect book to read aloud to a class. I feel that this book would be suitable for reception or younger. It would open the children's eyes to the world around them. I liked the end of the story when we realise that the child was only "swimming" in his own bath tub. I believe that a lot of children will be able to think of a time which they w ...more
Lindsay
Jul 08, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This book was a hit at an ocean-themed bilingual story time program I did in June. I loved the use of bright color in the illustrations, and the pictures are also big which helps when reading to a group. I used this book (and the other stories I read during the program) to build the children's ocean animal vocabulary. I'd pause to ask them what animal was featured on the page before reading the text.
Nadia
Apr 21, 2009 Nadia rated it really liked it
This was a great story about a little boy who dives under the ocean and meets many of the creatures living there, including a great treasure. It's not until the end when we find out he was really under the water in a bathtub and had found a coin. A great story to help children see the imaginative side of everyday things.
Lalalee
May 09, 2011 Lalalee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love this book. It has great rhythm. When I read it in a preschool or child care setting I will often pass out the different sea creatures for the children to hold up when we come to their part. The book works for dialogic reading. Also point out to the children that the sea creatures go from small to large and then backwards from large to small.
Sarah Adamson
Jan 20, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it
This is a fun book, basic rhyming (mostly!) about a boy exploring the ocean. Very few words with lots of repition for early readers. Also super fun surprise ending that it's actually a tale about a boy using his imagination whilst in his bath playing with his sea creature toys. My 5 year old loved it!!
Logan Gatchel
Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea was a great children's book! It is about a little boy who explores the "ocean" to find treasure for his mama and himself! He sees many sea creatures before finally discovering the treasure! He is so excited to show his mama the treasure he discovered! We find out on the last page of the story that the little boy was in his bathtub all along!
Sarah Best
Aug 23, 2014 Sarah Best rated it really liked it
This book is about a young boy who pretends to find treasures and animals while taking a bubble bath. The story shows the bottom of the sea and shows each animal that he finds. Repetition of words is used throughout this story, where children can sing along. This story would be good for children learning about ocean animals and connecting a science lesson.
Dolores Colarosa
A really cute read-aloud about all of the "treasures" a boy finds in the ocean, with bold, bright illustrations and plenty of opportunities to identify some common ocean-life such as octopus, starfish and a whale and not-so-common to young ones...a swordfish. Used this in toddler storytime and actually sang the book to the tune of "Fiddle-I-Fee." A great read-aloud!
Michelle
Mar 13, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Luke just loves this book! We have had to renew it at the library twice. I think we might buy this one. The author has other cute ones too, but our little library in our little town doesn't have the others....
Megan
Aug 24, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
A child meets a sea horse, crab, starfish, turtle, octopus, dolphin, swordfish, whale, and shark as he looks for treasure in the ocean. Repetition would make this a good choice for preschool or kindergarten read alouds.
Alamoliz
Jun 18, 2008 Alamoliz rated it liked it
A little boy imagines snorkeling beneath the deep blue sea and seeing all sorts of sea creatures. At last he sees mama waiting with a towel, by the bathtub, where the boy and his bath toys have had a fun adventure.
Alina
Sep 02, 2015 Alina rated it it was amazing
Colorful and lovely illustrations. Book can be read to a beat. Need to make inferences from illustrations to understand ending (four year old daughter and I had conversation about that). "I like this book because it has coins in the bathtub." -Alina
Susan
This is a fun read-along with repeating text and cute ending about a little boy who is scuba diving (spoiler) in the bathtub!
Kristen
Not my favorite, but the rhyming would make it good for toddler or preK story times and the illustrations are nice and cute.
Jennie Fitz
Apr 11, 2012 Jennie Fitz rated it really liked it
The kids loved this one tonight! Great library find.
Shelli
Nov 27, 2011 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story of a young boy exploring the ocean floor. Told in a rhyming sing song fashion that makes for a great read-aloud for young readers.
Brooke Beeson-king
Feb 02, 2016 Brooke Beeson-king rated it it was ok
Cute idea, but the rhythm was off to me. It's like I wanted it to rhyme, but it didn't.
Michelle Buckley
May 02, 2012 Michelle Buckley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of the few books that keeps all 14 two year olds in my class sitting still through the whole book!
Cstasa
Jul 16, 2012 Cstasa rated it it was amazing
Such a great kid's book. Imagination!!!
Pam
Apr 01, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
See my review of _Rub-A-Dub Sub_.
Huda
Jun 12, 2009 Huda rated it really liked it
Shelves: en-pic-books
What can u see in the Deep Blue Sea (:
a book of imagenation
Rayna Gausnell
Awesome book!
Gwnhwyfer
Somewhat rhyming, play on Martin's "Brown bear, brown bear" about different sea creatures, with bold, colourful pictures.
Davina
Jun 23, 2010 Davina rated it really liked it
A good book to use for interactive storytime. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • Swim! Swim!
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Meeow and the Big Box
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • Shark In The Park
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Creature ABC
  • My Octopus Arms
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • The Busy Little Squirrel