Start by marking “Exodus to a Hidden Valley” as Want to Read:
Exodus to a Hidden Valley

Exodus to a Hidden Valley

Here is an inspiring account of how faith, determination, courage, and considerable ingenuity carry a family of missionaries through six years in a Himalayan jungle valley...
Published January 1st 1974 by Reader's Digest Press; distributed by E. P. Dutton

To ask other readers questions about Exodus to a Hidden Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus to a Hidden Valley

Naw Yet
Oct 29, 2012 Naw Yet rated it really liked it
I am one of the Lisu people mentioned in this book. Actually, we became Christians because of their commitment and hard work for the Lord. I am third generation Christians.
This book is really a story about how hard it is to share the gospel to this part of the world and how these missionaries gave their lives to God's work. More than mentioning in this book, we really feel and experience God's love through their life.
As a young generation, I am grateful to them and preparing to write a book on
Alesa
Nov 07, 2014 Alesa rated it really liked it
What a fascinating book! I ordered it because it was recommended at the end of the novel "Fieldwork" as being one of the best descriptions of life in upper Burma, and also containing a lot of insights about missionaries. True!

Now, first, I must admit that I'm not a big fan of the whole idea of missionaries. I dislike the concept of imposing one culture upon another. However, that being said, one has to stand in awe and admiration of these American missionaries who brought education and agricultu
Pauline
Mar 16, 2015 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
My grandparents were, for a time, forwarding agents for Russell and Gertrude Morse. They would come to our home while on furlough while I was young. Uncle Russell and Aunt Gertrude told us some wonderful stories if mission work but many of the hardships, imprisonments and difficulties and always encouraged me to memorize the Bible. I loved reading this book years ago and found it again -- my husband and I have just finished reading it aloud. The Morse family is to be thanked for sharing their st ...more
Loretta
Jul 31, 2013 Loretta rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an interesting and inspiring story of a large missionary family in Burma during the 1960's period. The hardships they endured, and yet their resourcefulness was amazing. The book was originally written in the 1970's but then an epilogue in 1985 updated 'the rest of the story' telling about what all the family members were doing. The continuing legacy of this family is impressive. Really glad I read this book. This is a family living out their faith and sharing it in a powerful way and m ...more
Marginalia2
Jul 19, 2009 Marginalia2 rated it really liked it
After finishing Fieldwork and noting that this book was cited in his bibliography I took it out of the library. Rather than contain a lot of theological discussions Morse talks about the difficulties and rewards of carving out a place to live after they, and thousands of others, fled the ruthless Burma government.

There's no doubt that they are motivated by a deep faith, but it's the story that is the message.
Lisa
Jul 21, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
This book got a little tedious but what a fascinating family and story. Since I've been to this area, know people who have tried to help these people groups, I was pretty engaged. The family went to this area of China almost 100 years ago and I think their descendants are still ministering to the people from Thailand or Burma or maybe now back in China.
Kris
Aug 11, 2010 Kris rated it liked it
I've been re-reading this book! I learned about it in my college days since I went to school with Genevieve Morse who is mentioned as a baby in the story. The Morse family were missionaries who fled the government to live with the Lisui people in the jungles of Burma - the Hidden Valley. They got to experience many of God's miracles and blessings. And may have seen a Yeti. I'm just saying.
Fang
Jul 02, 2013 Fang rated it it was amazing
一群傈僳族基督徒在中共夺取政权后受逼迫因而迁移到缅甸北部,后因缅甸军政府同样迫害少数民族和基督徒而搬迁到印缅边境定居的故事。来自美国的宣教士Morse一家从云南开始就和这群傈僳族人在一起,二战时期帮助盟军营救驼峰航线遇难的飞行员,中共建政后被关押18个月,被驱逐出境后前往缅北继续宣教事工。在傈僳族人搬迁到印缅边境时,出于对羊群的责任全家一起在Hidden Valley与傈僳族基督徒一起生活、事奉、建立学校。当缅政府军于70年代因为勘界而再度发现这群傈僳族遗民时,惊讶的发现这俨然是一个世外桃源。非常值得阅读!
Rebecca Simpson
Rebecca Simpson rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Chris Sanford
Chris Sanford rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
May 13, 2009
Johnny
Johnny rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Erin Joyce
Erin Joyce rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Bob Jackson
Bob Jackson rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Moriah Anderson
Moriah Anderson rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Masao Imamura
Masao Imamura rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Sandy
Sandy added it
Aug 02, 2011
Rokhum Manu
Rokhum Manu marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2012
Sheri
Sheri added it
May 21, 2012
Gerd Turk
Gerd Turk marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Naw
Naw marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2012
Mona
Mona marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2012
Ati Yobin
Ati Yobin marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2012
Wintshwezin
Wintshwezin marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Bro
Bro marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Pemiamos
Pemiamos marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Yaku
Yaku marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
James Thorne
James Thorne marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Kyaw Thura
Kyaw Thura marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Yali Yilei
Yali Yilei marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Dipak Gogoi
Dipak Gogoi marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Carolyn Lieb
Carolyn Lieb marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Katy Witzell weeden
Katy Witzell weeden is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2015
Didier
Didier marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Philip Wylie
Philip Wylie marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Eugene Morse is a son of J. Russell Morse and Gertrude Morse, pioneering Christian missionaries to Burma. TIME Magazine (Dec. 27, 1982, in "The New Missionary"), states, "The Morses are among the leading missionaries in Asia."

Morse is author of "Exodus to a Hidden Valley" (1974). Inside dust jacket: "Eugene Morse was four months old when his parents left Oklahoma, in 1921, to become missionaries
More about Eugene Morse...