Start by marking “The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World” as Want to Read:
The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World

The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World

"War no longer exists," writes General Sir Rupert Smith, powerfully reminding us that the clash of mass national armies, the system of war since Napoleon, will never occur again. Instead, he argues in this timely book, we must be prepared to adapt tactics to each conflict, or lose the ability to protect ourselves and our way of life.

General Smith draws on his vast experien
Published January 16th 2007 by Knopf (first published September 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Utility of Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Utility of Force

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. AmbroseBlack Hawk Down by Mark BowdenHiroshima by John HerseyOn Killing by Dave GrossmanUnbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Best Non-fiction War Books
266th out of 956 books — 1,372 voters
Gates of Fire by Steven PressfieldThe Village by Bing WestOne Bullet Away by Nathaniel FickCharlie Wilson's War by George CrileThe Battle for Peace by Tony Zinni
Lt. Gen. James Mattis Professional Reading
11th out of 69 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

James
Aug 03, 2008 James rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in military issues or national security
One of the most far-sighted and at the same time down-to-earth studies of modern warfare I've ever read; General Smith is brilliant, and I would like to have served with him (wrong country's military, though, as he's British.)

If it is possible to take a stance on war that is simultaneously humane and ruthless, utterly pragmatic and deeply moral, this book illuminates that philosophy.

The author traces the evolution of how people have thought about and fought wars from the beginnings of history un
James McAllister
Jan 19, 2016 James McAllister rated it really liked it
I bought this book after it was recommended by someone who served with the author. It is very good and discusses warfare from it's early days right up until recently.

I've no doubt it's required reading in military academies. His thesis revolves around how force is utilised (The Utility of Force) and it explains many paradoxes on armed conflict - for example how the French and the Americans were both defeated in Vietnam.

A must read for anyone who wonders why countries with massive armed forces c
Mitchell
Jul 27, 2016 Mitchell rated it really liked it
A very interesting look at what General Smith refers to as a paradigm shift in the nature of war. He argues that there has been a shift from Industrial War (WW1, WW2) to a War Amongst the People (such as Vietnam or Algeria or Iraq). And he further argues that attitudes, doctrine, and equipment should change to reflect the shift. General Smith makes a compelling argument that the way we fight today is fundamentally different than the way we think it should go, and it is this dichotomy which ultim ...more
Jansen Wee
Aug 03, 2011 Jansen Wee rated it really liked it
Excellently written, very readable, and timely too. General Rupert Smith takes the reader the relevant tracks of early modern military history to demonstrate present societies' fixation with the interstate, industrial war model. He also illustrated the parallel development of the war of the people, which has also made itself felt in the same period, and through the wake of the Second World War, the Cold War, and enjoys a stronger currency today. He advocates that force, when used, must be of the ...more
William
Nov 19, 2008 William rated it liked it
Rupert Smith's "The Utility of Force" is part of a growing number of books that looks at the practice of peacekeeping and counter-insurgency, topics that seem to get more newspaper coverage than book-length treatments.

Smith, who had previous experience commanding the peacekeeping mission in Bosnia, ponders about why conventional forces are pretty useless in counter-insurgency and peacekeeping missions, and examines what change of thinking is needed in the employment of force (as opposed to depl
Louis
Oct 20, 2007 Louis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: thoughtful about the use of the military, and how to deter massacres
Shelves: military
General Rupert Smith (UK, Ret.) wrote this after reflection on 40 years of service, including UN duty in the Balkans. The theme of the book is that the nature of conflict has changed, and those who think about the use of national power (diplomatic, information, military, economic). Smith identifies 6 major trends:

- The ends for which we fight are changing
- We fight amongst the people
- Our conflicts tend to be timeless
- We fight so as not to lose the force
- On each occasion new uses are found for
FiveBooks
Mar 18, 2010 FiveBooks rated it it was amazing
Professor Mary Kaldor of LSE has chosen to discuss Rupert Smith’s The Utility of Force on FiveBooks as one of the top five on her subject - War , saying that:

“… This book is really the transition from Clausewitz and Walzer to today. He explains that the era of industrial war, of Clausewitzian war, is over, that war is not fought by soldiers against other soldiers any more...There is no distinction any more between combatant and non-combatant – war is amongst the people, against the people. Cla
Robert J.
Jul 21, 2016 Robert J. rated it it was amazing
Anyone who thinks they understand what it means to deploy military force in today's world, and who hasn't read this book, will greatly change that understanding when they read it. Smith makes very clear, through historical analysis and using his personal deployment history (which is huge) what military force can and can't do, and why. It makes nonsense of most of what American, European, and international deployments, 10 years after the publication of the book, are theoretically trying to achiev ...more
Maria
War can't be separated from politics. General Smith agrues that with the shift to asymertical wars, or "wars among the people" as he called it, that has taken even great significance. And yet, we still try to fight wars and prepare for wars between two countries.

Why I started this book: I checked out a digital version from the library.

Why I finished it: Sheer stubborness. This book was so hard to me to plow through, something about the style of Gen. Smith's writing stopped me in my tracks. The c
Gill
Oct 10, 2011 Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-science
This is a very clear analysis of the low intensity conflicts that we tend to get involved in now. It also traces very well the history of the older paradigm of nation-state, military industrial complex driven total war which still dominates our thinking even though it is very unlikely to recur.

Coincidentally just after reading this I took a short lecture course at SMU on the topic of Modern Total War and the professor, who had developed his ideas over a lifetime starting with a PhD on the Austri
Michael A.
Jul 11, 2014 Michael A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know why UN interventions appear to lack utility of force this book will help. Are coalitions-of-the-willing the solution? This book will explore what they lack. Are Governments spending taxpayer money wisely on Defence & Security? All this and more is explained in the book with recent examples, in a thoughtful, carefully argued way.
Definitely a breath of fresh air in the military analysis space.
Jeroen
Aug 12, 2012 Jeroen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on how present-day military force should be used and not be used. Although less of practical book, it shows what considerations are made on the political but also on a macro and meso level of the military about if, when and how force should be applied.

To me, as a Dutchman, it is also interesting to read the British stance on (at least part of) the Yugoslav (Serb-Bosnian) war and the drama of Sbrenenica.
Gerard Walsh
Interesting piece. Claims that military forces are built, equipped and trained to fight conventional set pieces of past conventional wars and are not suited to the typical interventions in which they are used today, generally to secure rule of law under which other generally political objectives can be achieved. Good background material for thinking about foreign interventions whether unilateral or UN backed.
Patrick Shrier
Jan 15, 2015 Patrick Shrier rated it it was amazing
One of the more clearly and insightful book written in recent discussing military doctrine and the usefulness and appropriateness of the use of military force in international relations. An excellent book.
Wayland Smith
Nov 05, 2013 Wayland Smith rated it liked it
A bit dry and academic at times. This is largely about the changing uses of the military in the modern world. There's some good history and political theory here, and the author does have the unique perspective of having been a commander on some UN missions. General readers might not want to wade through the 400 plus pages, but there are some interesting ideas and theories here.
Gerald
Oct 16, 2009 Gerald rated it really liked it
I use this book as the basis for a couple of introductory lectures in my Media & Terrorism course. He does a great job of describing the history of "interstate industrial war" and contrasts that with "war amongst the people" -- the kind of insurgent wars that we fight today -- and the only kind the U.S. has ever lost. And we've lost several of them.
Josh
Nov 23, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
A bit pedantic at times, but Gen. Smith has the experience and brains to go off on his own without me complaining too much. Gives a concise overview of industrial warfare and how things have changed since then, as well as good recommendations on future courses of action.

Interesting read for military historians
Lim Winston
Jan 19, 2013 Lim Winston rated it really liked it
Interesting book that depicts the modern warfare with great personal insights from the military commander (the author) himself. Using Clausewitz's trinity to describe any confrontation or conflict needs the support of people, army and government to have the advantage.
Міля Байрачна
A brilliant idea put forth in a very densely written, dry book. If you can get through it and still grasp the underlying message, good on you, you have done what most probably have given up on. This book is for the very tenacious.
Corto
Great concise history of the evolution and history of Western warfare. (Also good for helping secondary ed. history teachers frame themes for unit planning...)
Robert
Jan 14, 2010 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another must read for anyone in the military and/or strategist. I would highly recommend this book for anyone with an interest in history.
Myk
Jul 17, 2008 Myk rated it did not like it
This is a very interesting book. If you pay attention you will notice the 9 principles of war and how leaders used them to be successful.
Robert Nash
Excellent! Can not recommend high enough. I don't agree with everything Smith says, but his analysis is crisp and well considered.
Jim
May 13, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
so far it is what I have expected. the author draws from over 40 years of military experience. should be a good book.
Kirk Bower
Jul 29, 2011 Kirk Bower rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-history
Interesting look at the change of strategy in the military world. Gives a new perspective on our current engagements.
Cameron
Jul 02, 2012 Cameron rated it it was amazing
If you would like to understand the thought processes behind military actions in this day and age, read this book.
Luís Fonseca
Apr 07, 2013 Luís Fonseca rated it it was amazing
Oustanding book! A must read by all the military as well as all the civilians interested in the subject.
Mike Nicholson
Jan 31, 2011 Mike Nicholson marked it as to-read
Was told that the author butchered "paradigm" and his assumptions are wrong.
Steven
Dec 12, 2010 Steven added it
Author gives a through insight into UK counterinsurgency techniques.
John
Sep 04, 2008 John rated it liked it
Next time I play a war game, my opponents better watch out.
Frank Owens Limited Contractors - Review of Groundwork Services 1 1 Sep 19, 2016 02:13AM
  • Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice
  • The Sling and the Stone: On War in the 21st Century
  • The Transformation Of War
  • The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One
  • Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam
  • Another Bloody Century
  • Supreme Command: Soldiers, Statesmen, and Leadership in Wartime
  • The U.S. Army/Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual
  • War Made New: Technology, Warfare, and the Course of History: 1500 to Today
  • Intelligence in War: Knowledge of the Enemy from Napoleon to Al-Qaeda
  • Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age
  • Imperial Grunts: On the Ground with the American Military, from Mongolia to the Philippines to Iraq and Beyond
  • Tell Me How This Ends: General David Petraeus and the Search for a Way Out of Iraq
  • Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam
  • To Dare and to Conquer: Special Operations and the Destiny of Nations, from Achilles to Al Qaeda
  • On Guerrilla Warfare
  • Unrestricted Warfare: China's Master Plan to Destroy America
  • On The Psychology Of Military Incompetence
General Sir Rupert Smith retired from the British Army in 2002. His last appointment was Deputy Supreme Commander Allied Powers Europe 1998-2001, covering NATO's Balkan operations, including the Kosovo bombing, and the development of the European Defence and Security Identity.

Prior to that he was the general Officer Commanding in Northern Ireland, 1996-1998; Commander UNPROFOR in Sarajevo, 1995; t
More about Rupert Smith...

“Armed conflict is a human condition, and I do not doubt we will continue to reinvent it from generation to generation.” 0 likes