Start by marking “Love's Debt” as Want to Read:
Love's Debt

Love's Debt

To keep herself from the depths of poverty, Milly Shepherd needs to be appointed manager of the Red Lion Tavern. The elderly owner is in failing health and has promised her the job permanently if no one more suitable applies. Milly will fight with her entire being to make the job her own.

Joseph Jacobs needs to supplement his income to pay off his father's creditors and sa
Published September 3rd 2012 by The Wild Rose Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love's Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Debt

Maria
Sep 26, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for an honest and fair review on my blog. You can read the full post here: http://queenofthenightreviews.blogspo...

What would you be willing to do for the man you loved? In Rachel Brimble's Love's Debt, that is the question the heroine must ask herself - can she let go of the worry and hardships she has endured in order to share some of the money she's been able to save towards her future in order to help the man s
Jody
Sep 29, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it
Love's Debt is a sweet historical featuring two people drawn together in their desperation to make ends meet and make something of their futures. Considering the shortness of this story, the main characters are surprisingly well fleshed-out and though they come from different societal spheres they're perfect for each other.

Milly is a strong woman who wants the best for her family and has gone where no woman has gone before and become manager of a pub. When she first sees the sexy and formidable
Carin
Sep 28, 2012 Carin rated it really liked it
Milly Shepherd has know poverty, she has worked hard to bring herself and her mother and sister out of the depths of the slums to where she now has a good job and the money to take care of her family.

Joseph Jacobs was raised with wealth until his fathers gambling first drove his mother away and now his father has creditors after him while Joseph works two jobs to try to keep him out of prison.

The sparks between Milly and Joseph are immediate and they build quickly, Joesph is a good honorable man
Ruth Hill
Dec 23, 2013 Ruth Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
This is a nice short and sweet historical romance, and it's a nice way to spend a cozy, fall evening. The characters, story, and setting are sweet, and I loved almost everything about ths book. I could have done without the brief profanity and sex scene, but thankfully both were short! I love strong women, and Milly is definitely that. And Joseph is the typical Victorian gentleman who is down on his luck. Although the story was short and developed faster than I might have liked, it was nice. I ...more
Lisa
Sep 30, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This was an enjoyable short story of some 91 pages, with some likeable and warm, well written characters. I took an instant like to Milly, who was a strong hardworking young woman.

Being a short story I wondered if it might be a little predictable as some short stories are when trying to cram a detailed storyline into a few pages. I couldn't have been more wrong as the story took me to an ending I was not expecting.

This book had several scenes to it, including the pub, the docks, Milly's home and
Molly Wishlade
Jun 15, 2013 Molly Wishlade rated it it was amazing
Sensual, sweet and a real page turner – plus total value for money! This lovely tale features a strong yet vulnerable heroine and a gorgeous, strong yet sensitive hero. It was addictive reading and I devoured it one Saturday afternoon and I recommend that you do the same!
Milly is the kind of heroine you want to be: determined, diligent and generous and Joseph is the dream man: devoted to his wayward father but prepared to put even him aside for the woman he loves. The tension that builds from th
Lynelle Clark
Jan 28, 2016 Lynelle Clark rated it it was amazing
Two main characters is thrown together when they compete for the same position. Milly the young woman out to prove her self in the late 1800 standing on her own feet and providing for her family wanted the manager job. She has worked hard for it, earned it. All the patrons vote for her.
Joseph out to help his father from the debtor's jail doing two jobs to keep them afloat. Once well respect now a dock worker and bartender. They are challenged with trust issues and having the faith to see the lig
Lisa Rayns
Dec 04, 2012 Lisa Rayns rated it it was amazing
Sweet!
This beautifully crafted historical romance is a perfect way to spend an afternoon. The characters are wonderful, enduring, and the problems they face are nearly as relevant in today’s society as they were back then. It’s very well-written, compelling, and most of all, sweet. I truly enjoyed it!
I won this book in a contest.
Cathie
Sep 13, 2012 Cathie rated it it was amazing
Fabulous little novel, full of warmth, great conflict and blossoming love. Highly recommended!

Review to follow.
Clare Roden (Clare's Mad About Books)
Rachel Brimble never fails to take you on a journey into the distant past and puts you in the position of her characters, making you feel all of their raw emotions the pain and passion that her characters go through. Loved this little story of Milly a hard working woman making her way in the world when times were hard for a woman to have a job thought of as a man's only job. Learning to love and trust that Joseph wont take everything away from her if she gives him her heart mind body and soul. ...more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by JoAnne
Book provided by the publisher
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

This was a fast paced novella that I read in only a few hours but the ending was a disappointment and the story didn’t fit in the period it was placed in – 1890 – although I felt it was appropriate to be set in England. The story line seemed more likely to be in the 1950’s, after the war, with a woman having so much responsible for her family and holding property. While there was a happily ever after in the ma
JoAnne
May 31, 2014 JoAnne rated it it was ok
Read my review on Romancing-the-Book.com by clicking on the link below:

Stephanie Cage
Stephanie Cage rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Cathiecaffey
Cathiecaffey rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2012
Stephanie Burkhart
Stephanie Burkhart marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2012
Susan Macatee
Susan Macatee marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Ana Blaze
Ana Blaze marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
ZaBeth  Marsh
ZaBeth Marsh marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Susan Parkes
Susan Parkes marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Jenny Hale
Jenny Hale marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Jessica Mitchell
Jessica Mitchell marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Chris Bails
Chris Bails marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Louise Bailey
Louise Bailey marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Melissa Wandel
Melissa Wandel marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Abn10009
Abn10009 marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Trinitee Mitchell-Dunn
Trinitee Mitchell-Dunn marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Mick Loves Books
Mick Loves Books marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Beppe DM
Beppe DM marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
I live with my husband, our two teenage daughters in a small market town near the famous Georgian City of Bath. I have been writing contemporary romance and romantic suspense for Harlequin Superromance since 2012, and also have four Victorian romances with eKensington/Lyrical.

When I’m not writing, you’ll find me with my head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with my family. An
More about Rachel Brimble...