Start by marking “Piercing the Reich” as Want to Read:
Piercing the Reich

Piercing the Reich

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
s/t: The Penetration of Nazi Germany by American Secret Agents During World War II
After the success of such offensives as DDay & the Soviet march to the west, the Allies made the mistaken assumption that the 3rd Reich was finished. Then came the autumn of 1944. Hitler rallied with surprising force, driving the Allies back toward Paris. With a long war of attrition &am
Published December 2nd 1997 by Barnes & Noble Books (NYC) (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Piercing the Reich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piercing the Reich

Erik Graff
Apr 17, 2013 Erik Graff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: espionage fans
Recommended to Erik by: Sean McCarthy
Shelves: history
This book isn't rated four stars for being exhaustive, but for being a good read both for its subject matter and for its engaging style and structure. The appeal is that of the adventure novel, this adventure being the penetration of Germany by agents of the O.S.S. during the last months of WWII. One doesn't have to be a great fan of espionage to enjoy it, but some basic knowledge of the war would be helpful.

The author, former ghost writer for Nelson Rockefeller and Colin Powell, structures the
Lananorris
Oct 11, 2011 Lananorris rated it really liked it
First saw this as a documentary on the Military Channel and was completely fascinated. It sent me to the library for the book which is a much more daunting project. The first 3-4 chapters which establish the story of the OSS and intelligence gathering during WWII are really good...beyond that I got really bogged down in the minutae. Persico is obviously much more detail oriented than I am...I wanted him to continue to tell a story based on historical facts and he wanted to write a thoroughly res ...more
Smitty
Apr 12, 2016 Smitty rated it really liked it
I don't know why I hadn't come across the book before since it was published in 1979, but it's still an engrossing read, rich in characters and historical context. I had lived in England for 5 years, so I was able to reminisce on the US air wings based there during WWII. Thought it was a fine book in its details, save for the wrap-up, which I thought was a bit brief - each of the agent's exploits could be a book unto themselves.
Missie
Feb 11, 2011 Missie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I like the subject of WWII secret agents getting into Germany and helping with the war effort but I found the organization of the book difficult. With so many people to follow I think taking one chapter to focus on one mission from start to finish would have been easier and more rewarding for me as the reader. Then I may not have needed to take notes like I was back in college.
Chase
May 06, 2008 Chase rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical resource. This gave me another good view of the life of WWll spies! It is written about the espionage campaigns that are not usually talked about: from 1944. You say the war was over? No, it looked as if it would go on for many years after...to find out what happened, pick up the book!
Ty
Nov 12, 2008 Ty rated it it was ok
A wealth of information, but not always the easiest read. It was hard to keep all of the agents', officers', and directors' straight. I did enjoy the, often brutal, details about the missions behind enemy lines.
Mark Singer
Interesting look at attempts, both successful and not, by the World War II American spy agency known as the OSS to penetrate Nazi occupied Europe during World War II.
Nancy Lou
May 28, 2009 Nancy Lou rated it liked it
fascinating, but many names to remember
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Cody
Cody added it
Aug 09, 2016
Shawn Gillum
Shawn Gillum rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Jer
Jer marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Clark Judkins
Clark Judkins rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Lew
Lew marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Randy Thurman
Randy Thurman rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Daniel Hochhalter
Daniel Hochhalter rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Brittany Farrell
Brittany Farrell marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Curtis Hall
Curtis Hall rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Barry
Barry added it
Dec 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Joseph E. Persico was the author of Roosevelt’s Secret War: FDR and World War II Espionage; Eleventh Month, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Hour: Armistice Day, 1918–World War I and Its Violent Climax; Piercing the Reich; and Nuremberg: Infamy on Trial, which was made into a television docudrama. He also collaborated with Colin Powell on his autobiography, My American Journey. He lives in Guilderland, New ...more
More about Joseph E. Persico...