Start by marking “Love Takes Wing” as Want to Read:
Love Takes Wing

Love Takes Wing (Love Comes Softly #7)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  4,975 ratings  ·  79 reviews
"Janette Oke pioneered Christian fiction with the LOVE COMES SOFTLY series. Over one million readers fell in love with that first story of Marty and Clark Davis, whose tragic circumstances brought them to a "marriage of convenience" on the frontier prairies of the mid 1800s. Books 5-8 continue the story of Marty and Clark and the trials and loves of their grown children. T...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Love Takes Wing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Takes Wing

Rosa Cline
Janette Oke does such a wonderful job with this series of books. (It's overall a tie with this series and the Abram's Daughter's series by Beverly Lewis.) If you enjoy Pioneer life and reading about other that struggle in life but have that Faith in God that things will be okay then you will fall in love with Marti and what started out as a marriage of convenience but soon turns into love as Love Comes Softly. For those of you who have watched the movies and enjoy them TRUST me you will FALL IN...more
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the entire series.

Yes, I’ve switched to put the editions from the 80s on my Read shelf, since those are the ones I read and own, and I’m partial to the stories in all of their old-fashionedness, before the updated covers and later book edits that have gone into newer editions. (I didn’t read all of these in large print, but the cover art is the same.)

The first book, Love Comes Softly, was the first I ever read by Oke, my introduction into her sweet, warm, and simplistic style of stor...more
Shaina
Dec 04, 2008 Shaina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Shaina by: I guess the movies :)
Shelves: to-read-again
Up to this point I have absolutely loved the Love Comes Softly Series but this one was just ok. I was quite disappointed that the young lady, Belinda, did not stand up for herself and her beliefs. There's a part about an elderly woman giving Belinda a low cut dress but even though Belinda was extremely uncomfortable she wore it anyway and never told the woman she felt it was inappropriate. I know at times it's alright to go along with something (like eating something that you don't really like b...more
Sue
Seventh in the 'love comes softly' series; light American Christian historical fiction for teens and adults. It's a direct sequel to 'Love's Unfolding Dream', in which Belinda starts her introduction to nursing, and gets to know her niece Melissa, who is about her age.

In this book, set a couple of years later, Belinda is established as practise nurse at her brother Luke's surgery, and Melissa returns briefly to the family after training as a teacher, before returning to the West. Two young men...more
F
Slow starter for the first eight chapters, but after that two distinct plots begin to form. First, the Davis family have their first family rift in regard to Abe's arm injury. The rift lays heavy on Clark and Marty's heart. Family gatherings are tense. I think this builds reality in the storyline as families are always going to be divisional / disagreeable, and you seek help for family unity. The second plot occurs when Virginia Stafford-Smyth arrives as a patient with a stroke and resides sever...more
Lisa
This was another Christian book. It was also quite boring. 220 pages of boring. Ms. Oke had several chances to make this book interesting - when Abe's arm was hurt, when the family reconciles, etc. I felt like these were missed opportunities to delve into the power of Heavenly Father. Instead, they got the "brush off" - mentioned that Luke prayed and then talked with Arnie and Arnie was better - with none of Arnie/Luke's conversation in the book. In addition, the book's description leads one to...more
Megan Palasik
I read this book as an audiobook, so my experience may be a bit different than others. After having listened to the previous six books on tape as well, this one was about the same to me. Maybe it's the reader or maybe it's just that this series of books, while all different in their own ways, are also all very similar.

This story was about Belinda. She is now a young lady and doing young lady things; meeting potential beaus and thinking of them as just friends, being a nurse for Luke, and clingi...more
Kimberly
Book 7 in the Love Comes Softly series.
Dr. Luke has trained his young sister Belinda very well and she is now his full time nurse. She is very serious about her career, but soon realizes the sacrifices she has made to follow her dream. She can't help but feel a little jealous as her family and friends move on, get married and start their own families. Her normal routine gets the awakening it needs when an elderly woman is suddenly in need of constant medical care. Belinda becomes her personal nu...more
Sara Smith
this was my least favorite in the series, it felt like it took way too long to get to where I saw it going and then it was rushed at the end. I really would have enjoyed a quick overview of what happened with everyone, we got attached to so many main characters and left hanging on all of them. overall the series was quite enjoyable though!
Jennifer Kim
A good read. A coming of age story about a young girl who wants to see the world and wonders if she's missing out on something in her little town. But when she goes searching for what she thinks she might be missing, she learns a valuable lesson about life. It was a good book, but when the movie is almost better than the book, what does that say about the book?

I like complicated, epics, and this is a simple book. There's nothing wrong with that. But I wish I could have had more from this book. W...more
Brittany Perry
I loved this one it was more about friendship and faith. It made me wonder if today's generation has lost the true meaning of God and Faith.
Joy Gerbode
I have found it very interesting how much the later books have meant to me in this time of reading ... as I have grown older, my "place" in the books has changed, and different ones are meaning more. This one is special for me this time, because I understand many of the feelings of the young Belinda, but also relate well to the feelings of her parents, as well as the elderly matron she is hired to "nurse". And I have been chastised by the reminder that God wants to be with us where ever we go, a...more
Alissa
Apr 09, 2014 Alissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12 and up
Blenda goes to Boston but is it what she really wants?
Meadow
Sep 04, 2009 Meadow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pioneer Adventure Lovers
Belinda Davis is invited to a grand house in boston of a rich eldrly woman who Belinda helped save, She is now her personal nurse. So many riches are not even compared to her own home back west. She even goes on a several month tour to Paris, France, Italy...ect.

This book has a great message: No money can ever amount to family. Belinda is thrown into a life full of riches and gradeur, but her heart is still with her family and the simplicity of her western hometown.

My least favourite of the series, it's a bit of a place-card and I'm wanting to get on with the story. The Boston bit is a little tedious and Belinda drifts with her faith. But, it is also very moving and touching in parts, particularly in relation to Arnie's son's accident and the family rift that develops over the treatment of Abe's damaged arm. Belinda does return to her faith at the end of the book, which is good.

Not much else to say really.
This book is more like part one of a two-part series. I'm enjoying the depth at which the author is delving into Belinda's character. I'd venture to say this is the most character development we've seen in the series yet. I appreciate her struggle to find where she fits in the world... I'm excited to finish the last book to see how Belinda "turns out".
Christina
This isn't as much of a stand-alone novel as the ones before it. This one and #8 (Love Finds a Home) go together.

I enjoyed this book because it takes us to Boston - a totally new experience for the Davis family.
Bethany
I really enjoyed this book. I had started the series a couple of year and got over halfway through it, but for some reason I stopped reading the books. No worries though, it was still very enjoyable. Not too romance oriented, but it gives you a little to keep you interested. I mean this is about a young woman after all.
Malia
I really enjoyed that the dialogue was so much "bett-ah", but it was still far from normal. This was my least favorite of the series thus far.

I think Belinda should have been more clear with Jackson and Rand. If she didn't want anything more than friendship, she should have said so from the beginning.
Brittany
This was very good, better than the movie I would say. However, You would want to read the whole series, there are a lot of people I didn't know about and you still don't know what happens to Belinda (This book's main character) by the end.
Kayla
This book wasn't as good as the others but it still was very good. Belinda travels to Boston and then on to Europe. Belinda enjoys herself but then finds herself very lonely and can't figure out why. She turns to God for the answer.
Sue
This one concerns the youngest Davis daughter, Belinda, as she tries to figure out her life and her vocation as a nurse. These are really nice books with feel-good stories. Bad things happen, but their faith endures.
Myssi
Boring, predictable, trite. The characters seem flat by halfway thru the book. Belinda is clueless and unbelievable. The religious aspects of the book are too intrusive in this book, unlike most of the others.
Deb
Good, but didn't really "get into" a storyline. Ended kind of abruptly. Every girl's fantasy--handsome young men competing for her, rich old woman benefactor who buys her expensive clothes and takes her to Europe.
Hannah
Loved this one!!! Belinda is a reaaallly great character, and I'm enjoying the way she's turning out. =)

I can't wait to read the last in this series - and I can't believe it's going to be the end!! =)
Megan
Lessons learned on family unity--being bitter and unforgiving is sooo hurtful. I also love the lessons I could see as Belinda struggled to find herself and not just do what others were doing around her.
Nancy
I've really enjoyed reading this series. It's light-hearted and fun and full of good Christian values. I'll be sad to say goodbye to Clark & Marty Davis and their posterity after the next book.
Amanda Wige
Great series. Love it so much. It has history, christian themes, love story, and more. It is so fun it takes a journey from one family and all their kids as the grow and start their families.
Odetta
Feb 16, 2012 Odetta rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Odetta by: Talking Books
I liked it, it was ok. But it was seriously out of order. I like to follow a series, but Talking Books doesn't seem to care what order they send them in, just so there is a book to listen to.
Ruth
A little better than the last one I thought although, its so difficult w/ the storyline (heartbreaking); but isn't that what this series does to you as well as make you laugh. A definite re-read.
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North, #2)
  • The Long Road Home (A Place Called Home Series #3)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Whispers of Winter (Alaskan Quest, #3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year...more
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy