Start by marking “Drums of Change (Women of the West, #12)” as Want to Read:
Drums of Change (Women of the West, #12)

Drums of Change (Women of the West #12)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,927 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A young Indian girl must make a choice between the old ways of her people, the man she loves, and the white man's religion.
Published April 1st 1996 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Drums of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drums of Change

Faith
A little slow in the beginning and not my favorite Janette Oke book, but this one was unique and so good!! :D
Becky
Jul 04, 2011 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running Fawn is a young girl in a changing Indian tribe. She loves the ways of her people and doesn't understand why any of their ways need altering. But the white man and the loss of the buffalo mean that if her tribe doesn't adjust, they will die. Running Fawn understands this, but it is so hard to change.

This book was a surprise for me. I was reluctant to read it, but it was given to me as a gift by someone who thought I would like it. So I went into the book thinking I was not going to enjoy
Karen
Running Fawn loves the ways of her people so when the white Man With the Book shows up and chooses her as one of the first children to begin taking his Christian classes she is more than a little worried. She has no desire to give up the old ways and embrace this Christian God and his son Jesus. But much to her dismay, her people slowly begin adopting the white man's religion.
The story spans over a period of 10 years. It is meant to be inspirational and uplifting. But the predictable ending left
F
Apr 08, 2009 F rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has 24 chapters. During the first six chapters, Running Fawn moved from winter camp to summer camp to winter camp, etc until her chief makes decision to move to the Blackfoot Reserve in chapter 7. In the first six chapter there is very little spoken dialogue between all the characters. It took four chapters (12 through 15) for Silver Fox and Running Fawn to return to the Reserve from the Mission School. Guess I was travel / road weary, considering it covered 10 of the 24 chapters. Of a ...more
Cheryl
Feb 01, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was sad to read, especially because I could tell the author was trying to portray the natives' immense change and loss of culture as actually a good thing instead of the horror that it actually was. It's never a good sign when instead of being lost in the story, you're acutely aware of the author.
Hannah
Oct 17, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Drums of Change a lot. It wasn't my favorite Janette Oke because it felt like it was very slow and there wasn't a ton of dialogue, but it was a very interesting story and certainly helped me learn more about the Indian culture and why it would be hard for them to accept white people and "their God". Great book!
Mel Penner
Jun 08, 2017 Mel Penner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So to be clear, I have heard of, but have never read Janette Oke before. I went through a phase of buying Native Fiction from a local used bookstore, and saw this in the mix.
I don't know why it wasn't in Christian Fiction, but I should have probably paid more attention to it at the time.
This was extremely upsetting to read, not in the fact that it was trying to represent the overtaking of Native culture, but the fact that it was done in such a "positive" light.
I don't think Mrs.Oke is aware of h
Carol
This story took place around 1877 with the signing of treaty 7 between the white man and the Blackfoot. It is a fictionalized account of the bringing of the gospel to the Native people. I was at first disturbed by this narrative of the young Running Fawn who was taken to a mission school in order to learn the " white man's ways." My mother attended a residential school. As many now know, these schools were cruel in their attempts to assimilate my people. I then realized that this book, though na ...more
Carlene
May 17, 2017 Carlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An look at christianity thru the Indians eyes. And the ways it was spread thru out the tribes.
Nadine Keels
Feb 28, 2017 Nadine Keels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running Fawn has always loved and taken pride in the ways of her Blackfoot tribe. But survival is becoming difficult as the buffalo disappear, and white men have shown up on the prairie, bringing guns, diseases, and their foreign religion. Running Fawn will have to decide where she fits in a world she barely recognizes anymore in Drums of Change, a novel by author Janette Oke.

I first read this book by one of my all-time favorite authors, oh, twenty years ago or so. Rereading it was a walk down m
Camille
I really enjoyed the pace. It wasn't too fast or slow. While most stories have a lot of detail and interaction with characters, this one simply brushed over everything. It wasn't a rushed pace, it was more to cover many years in 233 pages. As a result, you don't get to delve very far into the characters' every day life or interactions with others. I had a very vague idea of Running Fawn's life.
As for Running Fawn herself, I really liked her. I can relate a lot to her love of nature and her id
Nadine Keels
Oct 05, 2010 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 Juanita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-series
The book was inspirational and written well. It's not a genre that I would read all the time but it was a reasonably good Christianity type book. I loved the story. When reading a book of this historical setting of the late1870's between the Indians and White people it becomes educational in the process of reading. Even though it is fiction it has alot of true history background. The book was not war setting. It was about the Indians learning new skills to survive and live among the White people ...more
Shawn
Jul 26, 2011 Shawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the repeated use of Running Fawn going to fetch water a tad boring but I liked the plot of the book overall. The emotions of Running Fawn struggling with leaving her family and attending boarding school and her struggle with putting the past behind her and accepting Jesus into her heart was well described. I found the end a bit disappointing as I would have liked to know more about what happened to the missionary and her father.
Cricket
Jul 01, 2016 Cricket rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

A quick and easy read. Story of the life of a female Indian when she was 6. Follows her nomadic life, then to a mission school. Will stay at the mission or return home? Will she accept the white mans God or will she continue to worship Indian Gods? Will she marry her childhood friend and if so will it be according to Indian or white man ceremony? I enjoyed the book and think you will too.
Karen & Gerard
Jun 25, 2008 Karen & Gerard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Indian culture or who likes Christian romance
This is a Christian romance book about Indians during the 1800s. The part I liked best was when Running Fawn went away to learn at the mission school and learn the white man's ways and believe in the one true God. It was pretty predictable and started out slow. Not one of Janette Oke's best, but I did like the main character, Running Fawn.
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of a Native American group, beset by changes when the white men arrived - some positive, some not so good. Low-key Christian message (one of the white men is a missionary) and an even lower-key romantic thread. Brings alive some of the customs of the time, and the cultural difficulties as people tried to adapt and adjust to each other. Overall, a pleasant light read.
Slone
Seemed a little patronizing to the American Indian experience. Not that I know much about it, but ... why assume the Indian maiden would want to assimilate into the white world? It just seemed a little too facile.
Michael
Uh, this isn't really my kind of book, but I guess it was pretty good. I'd recommend it for people who like historical fiction and romance (but thankfully the romance part was low-key: I mostly ignored it.)
Aug 24, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by Janette Oke. Well, we know it's going to be a romance of sorts. Thankfully, there isn't tons of it and is actually more mild that her other books. Definitely an interesting read. Another 'fluff' book, but a good one if you want to take a break from any heavy reading.
Ginny Reed
Jan 18, 2016 Ginny Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The Blackhawk Indian tribe endured many hardships when buffalo became scarce and they had to move to the white man's assigned Reserve. Watching Running Fawn, the main character, go through the struggles of Indian vs white man's culture was so well done in this book.
Bethany Mustafa
I'm torn between giving this book two or three stars. It wasn't the best of her books, but it was still alright. Sort of interesting, but I felt awful for the Reverend. Was it really necessary that his heart be broken? Poor fella...
bird
May 23, 2012 bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't typically like romance books, but Janette Oke has a way with words and despite everything that told me I wouldn't like this book? I actually enjoyed it. The story was an easy, but awesome read for a rainy day.
Elaine
Oct 31, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I've enjoyed this series more than any of Janette Oke's others. This particular book was different in that it dealt with the Indians that were displaced by the white man; but as is taught in the book, God is the God of all, not just the white man.
Deanna Balla
Mar 11, 2013 Deanna Balla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago and it had a lasting impact! As seen through the eyes of a native american woman, gives a better discernment of the trials they went through when the white man came along. A must read!
Rachel
Dec 01, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story about an Indian girl being sent to Catholic school.
Julie
Jan 24, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives us a unique look at the Indian culture from their perspective and the main character is actually Indian.
Meadow Frisbie
Another Christian Romance from Janette Oke.
Cws
YA Oke
Linda  "The Book Lady" Warner
I like Oke's writing. She writes compelling characters and stories. This native america sees the change the settlers bring to her people.
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Ruth (Brides of the West #5)
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • Treasure of Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #3)
  • Falconer's Quest (Heirs of Acadia #5)
  • The Reluctant Bridegroom: 1838 (The House of Winslow #7)
  • Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North, #6)
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Women of the West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • Roses for Mama (Women of the West #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • They Called Her Mrs. Doc
  • The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West Series, #6)
  • A Bride for Donnigan