Drums of Change (Women of the West, #12)

Drums of Change (Women of the West #12)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,355 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A young Indian girl must make a choice between the old ways of her people, the man she loves, and the white man's religion.
Published April 1st 1996 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 1st 1995)

Becky
Running Fawn is a young girl in a changing Indian tribe. She loves the ways of her people and doesn't understand why any of their ways need altering. But the white man and the loss of the buffalo mean that if her tribe doesn't adjust, they will die. Running Fawn understands this, but it is so hard to change.

This book was a surprise for me. I was reluctant to read it, but it was given to me as a gift by someone who thought I would like it. So I went into the book thinking I was not going to enjoy...more
Karen
Running Fawn loves the ways of her people so when the white Man With the Book shows up and chooses her as one of the first children to begin taking his Christian classes she is more than a little worried. She has no desire to give up the old ways and embrace this Christian God and his son Jesus. But much to her dismay, her people slowly begin adopting the white man's religion.
The story spans over a period of 10 years. It is meant to be inspirational and uplifting. But the predictable ending left...more
F
This book has 24 chapters. During the first six chapters, Running Fawn moved from winter camp to summer camp to winter camp, etc until her chief makes decision to move to the Blackfoot Reserve in chapter 7. In the first six chapter there is very little spoken dialogue between all the characters. It took four chapters (12 through 15) for Silver Fox and Running Fawn to return to the Reserve from the Mission School. Guess I was travel / road weary, considering it covered 10 of the 24 chapters. Of a...more
Shawn
I found the repeated use of Running Fawn going to fetch water a tad boring but I liked the plot of the book overall. The emotions of Running Fawn struggling with leaving her family and attending boarding school and her struggle with putting the past behind her and accepting Jesus into her heart was well described. I found the end a bit disappointing as I would have liked to know more about what happened to the missionary and her father.
Sue
Story of a Native American group, beset by changes when the white men arrived - some positive, some not so good. Low-key Christian message (one of the white men is a missionary) and an even lower-key romantic thread. Brings alive some of the customs of the time, and the cultural difficulties as people tried to adapt and adjust to each other. Overall, a pleasant light read.
Karen & Gerard
Jun 25, 2008 Karen & Gerard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone interested in Indian culture or who likes Christian romance
This is a Christian romance book about Indians during the 1800s. The part I liked best was when Running Fawn went away to learn at the mission school and learn the white man's ways and believe in the one true God. It was pretty predictable and started out slow. Not one of Janette Oke's best, but I did like the main character, Running Fawn.
Cheryl
This one was sad to read, especially because I could tell the author was trying to portray the natives' immense change and loss of culture as actually a good thing instead of the horror that it actually was. It's never a good sign when instead of being lost in the story, you're acutely aware of the author.
Written by Janette Oke. Well, we know it's going to be a romance of sorts. Thankfully, there isn't tons of it and is actually more mild that her other books. Definitely an interesting read. Another 'fluff' book, but a good one if you want to take a break from any heavy reading.
Bethany
I'm torn between giving this book two or three stars. It wasn't the best of her books, but it was still alright. Sort of interesting, but I felt awful for the Reverend. Was it really necessary that his heart be broken? Poor fella...
Slone
Seemed a little patronizing to the American Indian experience. Not that I know much about it, but ... why assume the Indian maiden would want to assimilate into the white world? It just seemed a little too facile.
Bobbie
I don't typically like romance books, but Janette Oke has a way with words and despite everything that told me I wouldn't like this book? I actually enjoyed it. The story was an easy, but awesome read for a rainy day.
Michael
Uh, this isn't really my kind of book, but I guess it was pretty good. I'd recommend it for people who like historical fiction and romance (but thankfully the romance part was low-key: I mostly ignored it.)
Deanna Balla
I read this years ago and it had a lasting impact! As seen through the eyes of a native american woman, gives a better discernment of the trials they went through when the white man came along. A must read!
Katherine
This book seemed to be quite well researched. I enjoyed reading a story written from an Indian point of view. Not my favourite Oke but enjoyable none the less.
Dawn
May 06, 2011 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Christian Fiction.
Recommended to Dawn by: I enjoy books by Janette Oke.
This was one of my favorites that I have read from the "Women of the West" series. Janette Oke is an enjoyable Christian author.
Gardners
I remember really enjoying this series--it has been a long time since I have read any of them, but have great memories of them.
Emily Jackson
Really good! Nice to see Christianity and what happened in our past from the eyes of the Indians.
Sandy Sandmeyer
A lovely story of a young Native American girl growing up in the midst a growing America.
Karen
Running Fawn and Silver Fox learn the White Man's ways at a mission school 1874-1885
Lucinda Gabriel
if u like native indian books that u can't stop reading u would love this book!!!!
Rachel
An interesting story about an Indian girl being sent to Catholic school.
Kristy
Nothing memorable to me in this one. Okay story, but very forgettable.
Leah
wonderful...i learned about two religions, the indian and the christian belifs
Cambria
i really enjoyed it, shows a bit of how the natives had to live...
Zekkaina (LadyDragonKeeper)
I honestly don't remember much about it, hence 2 1/2 stars.
Kristen
Christian fiction for Adult Readers Advisory class
Annalise
Sep 18, 2007 Annalise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: historic-fiction
This was a pretty good book. well written and interesting.
Jenna
this book got better towards the middle.
Meadow
Dec 17, 2008 Meadow marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Another Christian Romance from Janette Oke.
Partridge Public
Oct 18, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: INS Oke
Shelves: inspirational
Oke, Janette PB
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
  • The Long Road Home (A Place Called Home Series)
  • Whispers of Winter (Alaskan Quest, #3)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Daughter Of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister #2)
  • Say to This Mountain (Shiloh Legacy #3)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year...more
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly #4)