Start by marking “Empire's End (Sten, #8)” as Want to Read:
Empire's End (Sten, #8)

Empire's End (Sten #8)

The Empire is in chaos. The once-great Imperial Navy has been shattered in battle and lies burning in space, riven by a civil war that threatens to engulf humanity’s future. For the revered Eternal Emperor is not the man his subjects thought him to be—and may not even be human at all. And it is Sten—Imperial bodyguard, spy, assassin, renegade—who now leads humanity’s fight ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Empire's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire's End

Marcus Calvert
Jan 06, 2013 Marcus Calvert rated it really liked it
These two authors get together with the desire to write 1 million words. The result was a far-flung futuristic series that's worth following from Book I to VIII. But the last book was just awesome, especially when it explained how the Emperor came to be. These guys have a flair for devious, diabolical plots and characters too unique to not enjoy.
Jacob
Jun 28, 2016 Jacob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science_fiction, own
And so ends the series I bought and read solely because my friend wouldn't. He was looking for something to read, and I found the first two of these on the Powell's Books web site, but he wouldn't go for it. So of course I had to in order to prove him wrong. Well I did. You -- you know who you are -- were so wrong! These books were awesome! Don't you totally regret not having read it now? Nevermind the star ratings, they're great! Really.

I didn't anticipate the turn this series took in the last
Per Gunnar
It was a bit easier for me to read this book than it was with the previous book in the series. This is probably because of the initial disappointment of The Eternal Emperor going bananas and the empire going down the drain had already sunk in with the last book and I was more prepared for that this time. Quite honestly, this is a book that I more or less read only to have completed the series so my expectations were not that high.

The book is just as well written as the previous books, the parts
***Dave Hill
Dec 01, 2015 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text, favorites
At last, all the elements that have been bonded into Sten over the previous volumes -- gang member, soldier, spy, investigator, bodyguard, ship captain, POW, and diplomat -- come into play as Sten has to face off as freedom fighter against the mad Emperor. Good, good stuff, and a great pay-off for the series.

----------------

PREVIOUSLY (Oct 2012) - 3 stars

Sten vs. the Eternal Emperor, with the stakes being intergalactic civilization itself. Cole and Bunch's disguised polemic (see the afterword) c
Efka
May 13, 2014 Efka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The last book of the series embodies it nicely: lots of drakh and clots everywhere. The series, imho, had been going downhill since book 6, and I was afraid, that this last book might be just a sterotypical and boring "wrap it all up" creation. My rating of this book proves that my fears were unfounded. More, I found this book to be the best of whole series. It perfectly tells a story of Emperor's rise to power, and the reasons of his immortality and absolute control, as well as origins of AM2 w ...more
Nikolay
Oct 07, 2012 Nikolay rated it liked it
Several friends warned me that as far as the Sten saga goes, this is the worst of the series. However, I find it well in line with the rest of the books(and I liked it better than Vortex), and the revelation of the Emperor's secret was handled pretty well - I found it both surprising and unexpectedly plain, in a way. An OK entry in the series, and a solid, albeit a little lackluster and anticlimactic end for the saga.
Max
Oct 04, 2015 Max rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, ebooks
This was probably the best book of the series and a fitting end to the overall story. There was a good chunk of flashback to explain some things about the Eternal Emperor, but it was done well and still remained entertaining. The rest of the story is exactly what you expect from a Sten novel, so if you've read the first 7, you might as well finish it off.
Ivan Bogdanov
Jan 22, 2016 Ivan Bogdanov rated it really liked it
Изчетох я най-сетне, въпреки че от поне две години се подмята из нас.
Като цяло - не е на нивото на предните книги. Но нивото ѝ е доста над останалите бози, които се предлагат за фантастика.
За всички, които са чели поредицата - Задължителна. Другите да почнат от първа книга. Една от най-добрите фантастични поредици, писана някога!
Mike
Nov 15, 2007 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Autographed by Cole, the master. My prize possession and the emperor is finally done in. Good stuff.
Bryan457
Sten rebels against the Eternal Emperor, and plunges the empire into civil war.

I don't really know how to rate this one; I loved most of the story, but I really really hated the ending.
David
David rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Sparky Devine
Sparky Devine rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2008
David Kelly
David Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Zhugenaut
Zhugenaut rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Andrew Macdonald
Andrew Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Adam Reyes-thomas
Adam Reyes-thomas rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Bobby L Cassady
Bobby L Cassady rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Sas
Sas rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
Duane
Duane rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Aaron Snyder
Aaron Snyder rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Wiesiu
Wiesiu rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Patnel
Patnel rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Captain
Captain rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
Judy Walloch
Judy Walloch rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
  • At Any Price (Hammer's Slammers)
  • No Going Back (Jon & Lobo, #5)
  • Luna Marine (The Heritage Trilogy, #2)
  • Starship: Flagship (Starship, #5)
  • Against All Odds (A Galaxy Unknown #7)
  • Murder's Shield (The Destroyer, #9)
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
Christopher R. "Chris" Bunch was an American science fiction, fantasy and television writer, who wrote and co-wrote about thirty novels.

Born in Fresno, California, he collaborated with Allan Cole on a series of books involving a hero named Sten in a galactic empire. (Cole married Bunch's sister, Kathryn.) He served in Vietnam as a patrol commander. He also wrote for Rolling Stone and was a corresp
More about Chris Bunch...

Sten (8 books)
  • Sten (Sten, #1)
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • Fleet of the Damned (Sten, #4)
  • Revenge of the Damned (Sten, #5)
  • The Return of the Emperor (Sten, #6)
  • Vortex (Sten, #7)