Start by marking “America 2040 (America 2040, #1)” as Want to Read:
America 2040 (America 2040, #1)

America 2040 (America 2040)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published March 1st 1986 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about America 2040, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America 2040

Linda  Branham Greenwell
Feb 01, 2010 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. It is about: In the year 2033, the American president is given an ultimatum by his mad Russian counterpart: Let the Soviets take over the world or it will be destroyed. The president orders a spaceship built so that Americans can colonize a far-distant planet. War breaks out as the vessel lifts off, and communications are conveniently sabotaged so the fate of Earth is never known.

BUT... the story for me was what they encountered on the planet where they landed. The different
Godfather
Nov 01, 2007 Godfather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a series of 5 books about travel to distant planets by three teams of Americans, Brazilians and Russians. My wife doesn't like Science Fiction but she couldn't put down these books. There is very little "science" involved as opposed to political, emotional, and journey difficulties that are encountered.
Denise
Feb 02, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
These are kind of pulp science fiction if that makes any sense. I could see readers just ripping these to pieces. The writing is a bit formulaic, the characters are straightforward and not complex, but there was something about these books that I really enjoyed. Kind of like reading a cozy mystery - when you want something light and easy and a bit fun. My rating is for my reference - can't say I'd really recommend these books necessarily but I won't get rid of these and will probably re-read at ...more
Dianne
Sep 04, 2011 Dianne rated it it was amazing
I love this book. From page one Innes pulls us in to an incredible world of human survival. I have to keep buying replacement copies because they keep disappearing from my personal library. It's my hope that someday Innes will release a hard cover edition of this collection. :)
Nathaniel
Nov 21, 2013 Nathaniel rated it it was ok
As a young adult I was taken with the science fiction concept of these books, but I didn't make it very far when I read them. So my reading this is an act of pure nostalgia on my part.

Here's the plot of this book, facing worldwide nuclear annihilation, the United States sends a starship filled with colonists to Cyngi Alpha A to start a new Earth colony.

Let's start with the incredibly unfair. As an act of prognostication, this book is negative stars. Technologically and geo-politically. The reaso
David
May 12, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
I really liked this series. Commies, guns, hot chicks, and robots, can't ask for more than that. It's been out of print for a long time and not available in ebook format. The author seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.
Ivaroni
Feb 02, 2010 Ivaroni rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Great premise, if a little poorly written. However, the character development is well done (in the first book anyway). Fun read.
Joel
Sep 23, 2010 Joel rated it it was amazing
Very good story, but not written well. This is the first time I have had the power of a good story support a poorly written book.
John Leffe
Jan 31, 2012 John Leffe rated it really liked it
Good Science Fiction.
IM Bonetti
IM Bonetti rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Ivan Wright
Ivan Wright marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Susan Amos
Susan Amos marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Juma Moss
Juma Moss rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Terence Bennett
Terence Bennett rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Robert Cole
Robert Cole rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Clay
Clay added it
Aug 05, 2015
Brock
Brock marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Barry Bovee
Barry Bovee rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Dave Butcher
Dave Butcher rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Michael Tallman
Michael Tallman marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Jody Holland
Jody Holland marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Colin Knight
Colin Knight marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

America 2040 (5 books)
  • The Golden World (America 2040, #2)
  • City in the Mist (America 2040, #3)
  • The Return (America 2040, #4)
  • The Star Explorer (America 2040, #5)