The Time Travelers: Volume One

The Time Travelers: Volume One (Time Travelers #1-2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Imagine changing centuries - and making things worse, not better, on both sides of time.

Imagine being involved in two love triangles in two different centuries.

Imagine discovering that, no matter which direction you travel in time, you must abandon someone you love.

Meet fifteen-year-old Annie Lockwood, a romantic living in the wrong century. When she travels back a hundred...more
Mass Market Paperback, 2-in-1, 420 pages
Published January 10th 2006 by Laurel Leaf

Parul
  Syd シド ♫Just one of the wolves ♫
Mar 24, 2010 Syd シド ♫Just one of the wolves ♫ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone is a fan of a historical romance novel
wow what a great book beautifully written. This book is a story about a 15 year old girl hopeless romantic named Annie Lockwood. Annie dreams of living in a century where women are courted and only wear the most divine clothing. one day as Annie is think about such a world she falls through time. one moment the year was 1995 the next it was 1895. Annie finds herself falling in luv with a man in this century and soon the time comes to choose where to stay Annie wishes to stay in the 1890s but tim...more
Lady Knight
As a huge fan of time travel stories, YA literature and somewhat romantic plots, I figured this should be a literary 'hole-in-one' for me... unfortunately it was less than so.

For me, (some of) the faults are as follows:

- Walker Walkley has got to be one of the worst character names I have ever read

- While I do understand that most teenage girls will find the plot hopelessly romantic, I was often irratated at the lack of any kind of logic or forethought by the characters. Often I found them lacki...more
Mallory
I read this book with higher expectations,and it half satisfied me. The audience Ms. Cooney chose was not definite,for it seemed to be written for kids or pre teens,while some subject matters seemed YA. While interesting,I think it could have been improved by centering more on the main characters, Annie and Strat's story instead of about ,what six characters? While I sympathized for each character, when reading about other than Strat or Annie I would feel impatient and not want to read about the...more
Natalie
Out of Time, the second half of this volume, was a better read for me than Both Sides of Time (book one contained here) so keep turning the pages -Annie gets less repetitive, Sean disappears into the background, and the second book is action packed compared to the first, with a very tidy/Shakespearean conclusion.
Chelly
I really liked this book, and the whole time I was reading, I felt like a sap for liking it, but I still totally did, because I love the whole old-fashioned-and-well-manored-guy-woos-the-girl-who-is-just-not-having-any-luck-in-that-department stories. And yes, the time traveling thing is COMPLETELY random, but hey-it's a fantasy book, right?...The romance is very sweet, and then it becomes action and mystery and thriller and star-crossed lovers...satisfying ending too
Kress
I adored this. The only negative for folks reading it today is it was written in the mid-90s and there are definitely some things about Cooney's portrayal of teens that feel dated.

Still, the historical details were right on, the romance felt realistic, and the characters felt full and rich.

I know I may not be a reliable source as I adore anything in the 19th c, but I still think many contemporary teens (probably mainly girls) will enjoy this.
I liked the characters and I enjoyed the time period representation, though I honestly don't know much about 1890s.
However, I wasn't fond of the writing style, nor the plot, particularly. I found that the characters were too ready to fall for each other, to jump on bandwagons, and to just do everything that happened pretty much.

An alright quick read, though I probably won't pursue sequels.
Cassie
I loved the romance of loving someone who doesn't live in the same time period as you! There are a whole series about these books. The last is my favorite, and then this one, the first, is my second. Annie is the main character, and she has kind of a wanting to her. Time pulls her back in time, and she finally finds romance. But she doesn't belong in that time, so will she be allowed to stay?
Kami Woodall
Caroline B. Cooney creates an enchanting story dripping with romance and adventure. From the moment I held her novel in my hands it was impossible to put down until the second I turned the last page. Time Travelers is a captivating drama about two star-crossed lovers born in two different centuries yet they come together through mystical events. A must read.
Gwen Morrison
This is probably my favorite book of 2006. The author takes you on an incredible journey through time, sequencing the events of Clare and Henry's unique love story. Don't let the number of pages scare you. Once you get a grip on the time travels, you'll be sucked into Henry's incredible journey through his life.

Flyingdove
Jessica
Aug 23, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls or scifi readers
The choices that "Anna Sophia" has to make throughout this book kept me very interested. When she has to choose between family and someone from another century she has fallen in love with, things really get interesting. This volume contains the first two books of the series.
Nicole
I thought it had a good story line. There was sweet, innocent romance that kept it going. It didn't end as I would have wished, but still ended well. I'm curious to see if the others continue on with the same main character or not.
Nicole
A modern-day high schooler finds herself thrown back in forth between her century and the 1800s. Cute love story for a teenage girl (12 or 13+). Writing is simple and informative - I liked all of the historical Victorian details.
Sarah Tilatitsky
It talks about how such actions can be on love, and that sometimes that it can be good or bad. The good can also result to bad, but you don't know the future. Oh, well. Some things you cannot change.
Holly
oh i really love this book. I liked the characters alot. Going back in the period, it was fun to see anny act differently from what strat expected from a woman. hahaha he was fascinated.
Sara
I liked it - kind of cheesy in some places but nice and clean. Volume two is also pretty good. Yay for clean, entertaining books!
Alice
I'm probably a big sap for liking these books, but I did. I'm excited to read the next two books in this series!
Julio
this book is a good book from so far i read hope to be done with the book in a month or two
Deena
It has been years since I read these books! Cheesy, but heart wrenching and very detailed :D
Alison
A really interesting book, it's like I'm actually watching it happen when I'm reading it!
Elaine
Mar 23, 2007 Elaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens
the title doesn't do this book justice. It was actually a great book!
Alex
The Time Travelers: Volume One by Caroline B. Cooney (2006)
Coconath
Coconath marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
  • Trapped (Fear Street #51)
  • The Jade Notebook (Notebook, #3)
  • Bourne & Tributary (River of Time, #4)
  • The Princess Tales, Volume I (The Fairy's Mistake, The Princess Test, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep)
  • Princess Diaries Boxed Set (Princess Diaries, #1-10)
  • Sun-Kissed Christmas (Summer, #8)
  • Friends Close, Enemies Closer (In Or Out, #4)
  • Greek Drama
  • Why I Jumped: My True Story of Postpartum Depression, Dramatic Rescue & Return to Hope
  • A Voice of Her Own: Becoming Emily Dickinson
  • Susannah (Sunfire, #2)
  • Snowfall
  • Pup at the Palace (Animal Ark, #30)
  • Im Nobody Who Are You
  • Three Weddings and a Giggle
  • Heartlight (The Adventures of Kate, #1)
  • The King in the Window
  • Caroline (Sunfire, #7)
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem...more
More about Caroline B. Cooney...
The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1) Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2) The Voice on the Radio (Janie Johnson, #3) What Janie Found (Janie Johnson, #4) Code Orange