Start by marking “Flash Fire” as Want to Read:
Flash Fire

Flash Fire

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  22 reviews
On a Wednesday afternoon, 15-year-old Danna Press's life turns into a nightmare as a huge orange fireball emerges from the top of the canyon. So begins her long, terrifying, and life-altering road to safety.
Published September 1st 1996 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Flash Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash Fire

I found this after Teenage Me had devoured The Face on the Milk Carton and Whatever Happened to Janie?, and loved it... possibly because it hit a little close to my biggest fear.
Cindy
Les
Basic premise was good, how would kids handle escaping a forest fire without any adults around to help them? The problem was that all the characters, particularly the parents, were like caricatures. No one was normal, everyone was just so over-the top: the tofu-eating tree huggers; the harpy mom browbeating her plain daughter to be more glamorous because she's impacting mom's status with the country club mothers; the brooding dad who his son can never please; the narcissist mom who works out for ...more
Kelly
Jun 06, 2011 Kelly added it
How suddenly life can change within an hour and a half. In that time, a small kindling turns into an inferno outside of L.A. Snaking its way through valleys and brush, it ravages the homes and lives of a quiet, upscaled neighborhood.

Told from multiple perspectives (about 16 total), this book is a play-by-play of the fire unfolding - its birth, its growth, its wake of destruction, and what little it leaves behind. While the almost omnipotent POV was an interesting approach in seeing this story fr
Pandora
A good book very akin to Flight 116 is down although at least for me is not as tragic. Characters are well drawn with a mixture of good and bad characters. A bit heavy maybe on the spoiled California attuice but, it is believeable. Does show how in a disater good and bad descions can be made. The ending doesn't tied up all the loose ends but, there is hope that there can be a happy ending. It fits for what the book is trying to be - a 70's disater movie in book form taking place in the 90's. Mul ...more
Valentina :)
Mar 03, 2011 Valentina :) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like Caroline B. Cooney, suspense & action.
A good fast-paced book, zooming in on the lives of the 'beautiful people' and their lives at Pinch Canyon while there is a rampant brush-fire. In the taut two-and-a-half hours, the failed adoption, failed parents, disappointing and not so disappointing children have to come together to save their lives. Not only do they have to think about themselves, but for the whole neighborhood, and the dead.
This book is separated into different places, eg: the office & the house.
My favorite part is wh
Matthew Barlow
Good read for teenagers. Cooney writes excellent disaster books.
Wade
It was a pretty nice book. It actually felt like you were in L.A during a forest fire. It is an emotional and tragic story. You can almost feel the heat and smell the smoke. You probably will feel sad for all the lives, homes, and forest that have gotten destroyed. I would recommend this book to people who like action and drama.
Mason T
Honestly, this was not a very good book. I would not recommend this book for too many people because it is not that exciting. I also didn't like it because it waited till the very end to get excting. Although, I did like a character. The character is Hall; I liked him because he was a little like me.
Auston Nagata
This book was very descriptive. It descriped the fire and the people very well. All the characters were different and had different emotions. It was good but the ending character didn't really have good motives for what he did. It was a good read and I think Cooney did a good job.
I just love Caroline B. Cooney. I read books of hers constantly as a teen and all of which I'd probably give a rating of 4 or 5 stars to.
Shea S
This is a pretty good book for a book that hasnt been checked out for 3-10 years
at scott
Alexis
INTENSE BOOK!!! If you're looking for a good book to read, tehn you found it.
Robin
A good fast-paced, exciting read. I remember liking it, growing up.
Emily
really suspenseful! Caroline B. Cooney is a fabulous author!!
Michelle
I absolutely loved this book, but I didn't like the end.
Sarah B
Jan 01, 2014 Sarah B rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People I dislike
I wanted to strangle every character but Matt.
Dan
I am currentyly reading it
karena
for younger audience
Stephanie
I loved this book.
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Barry Cass
Barry Cass marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Al Cormier
Al Cormier is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Brenda McConnell
Brenda McConnell marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
  • Far North
  • Fugitive (Undercover Girl, #2)
  • Hostage
  • Blood Roots
  • Shock (Fearless, #27)
  • The Broccoli Tapes
  • Unicorns Of Balinor: Special Edition, Books 1-3
  • Danger at the Fair
  • Who Killed Mr. Boddy? (Clue, #1)
  • Love Rules
  • The Song of An Innocent Bystander
  • Gallows Hill
  • Storm Warriors
  • Waiting Games
  • The Fetch (The Runestone Saga, #1)
  • The Cruisers (Cruisers, #1)
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...
The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1) Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2) The Voice on the Radio (Janie Johnson, #3) What Janie Found (Janie Johnson, #4) Code Orange