Start by marking “Pelle's New Suit” as Want to Read:
Pelle's New Suit

Pelle's New Suit

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  341 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Pelle has a lamb whose coat grows longer and longer, while Pelle's Sunday suit grows shorter! Pelle shears the lamb, and the wool is carded, spun, dyed and woven. Finally, the tailor makes a new suit for Pelle.
Published December 1st 1993 by Floris Books (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Pelle's New Suit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pelle's New Suit

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenRonia, the Robber's Daughter by Astrid LindgrenThe Complete Fairy Tales by Hans Christian AndersenThe Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian AndersenMoominland Midwinter by Tove Jansson
Scandinavian Children's Books
37th out of 107 books — 33 voters
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenPancakes for Findus by Sven NordqvistRonia, the Robber's Daughter by Astrid LindgrenThe Brothers Lionheart by Astrid LindgrenMio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren
Swedish Children's Books
21st out of 42 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Manybooks
Nov 29, 2015 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Elsa Beskow, children who like old-fashioned family tales
I read Pelle's New Suit in French, Paul et son habit neuf (because my library happened to have only the French version at the time), and I love both the story and the illustrations; they are sweet, gentle and engaging. I have always enjoyed Elsa Beskow's picture books, not only because of the wonderful Jugendstil-like illustrations, but even more so because there is such a loving, respectful attitude towards children and children's abilities and responsibilities present in her stories. Children ...more
Miriam
Nov 20, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This book shows how a little boy got his new suit back before ready-to-wear clothing. But making a new suit is not just about the steps of preparing and spinning the wool, it is also about the cooperative exchange of skills and labor that occurred in small communities. Pelle raises the lamb himself and shears it, but then must ask a series of relatives and neighbors for assistance in the multiple steps of making the wool into thread, the thread into cloth, cloth into suit, etc. In exchange he he ...more
Amanda
Nov 03, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Summarize the book

Pelle has outgrown his suit so he decides he needs a new one. Many people offer to help him with his new suit in exchange for something they need help with. Over the course of one week, Pelle's lamb gives him wool which his grandmother cards for him in exchange for weeding her garden. His other grandma spins the wool and Pelle tends her cows...and so on and so forth until on Sunday, Pelle has a new suit to wear to church.

Identify the characteristics from the text that support t
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 15, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
Pelle, a young Swedish boy, has a lamb which he cares for himself. When he begins to outgrow his coat, he shears the lamb and seeks help from his family and community to card, spin, weave, dye, and sew the wool into a suit, trading chores for the help that others give him. Finally he puts on his new suit and thanks the lamb for the wool, while all the people who have participated in the project look on.

The illustrations in this story are charming, and the story is delightful on many levels. In c
Kristen Eckhardt
Jul 07, 2015 Kristen Eckhardt rated it it was amazing
Category/Genre: Picture Book
Age Level: Pre K-3rd Grade
Reading Level: 1st/2nd grade, approximately

“Pelle’s New Suit” is by Elsa Beskow, one of Sweden’s best-loved author/illustrators for children in the early 20th century. It tells the story of little Pelle, a Swedish country boy, who is able to get a fine wool suit made for himself from his sheep’s wool. The book is a simply told, beautifully illustrated how-to on how wool actually became clothing in days of old, when people raised animals and u
Stacey Orlando
Sep 01, 2014 Stacey Orlando rated it it was ok
Pelle's New Suit was the story of a little boy from Sweden and his own lamb he cares for. One day the young boy decides he would fancy a brand new suit. Pelle then shears all the wool off his little lamb and seeks assistance in making his dream suit a reality. He visits his two grandmonthers and his one grandfather to help him with preparing and dying the wool. He goes home to his mother and asks of her to weave the new yarn into cloth. Every adult Pelle needed help from also sought help from hi ...more
Judy
Feb 21, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
This title was new to me so I didn't know what to expect. I loved the way the steps required to start with a lamb and end up with a suit were delineated. And we learn about Pelle's roled in each of the steps. Here's a brief outline:
1) shear a lamb -- Pelle's cuts hisl pet's wooly coat
2) comb the wool -- Pelle's grandmother does this while Pelle tends her garden
3) spin the wool -- Pelle's other grandmother does this while Pelle watches the cows
4) dye the wool -- Pelle earns the morning for the dy
Sally Tarbox
Feb 25, 2016 Sally Tarbox rated it it was amazing
"Thank you very much for my new suit, little lamb.", 25 February 2016

This review is from: Pelle's New Suit (Hardcover)
Verified Purchase(What is this?)

This is one of those children's books that could become a family heirloom as it's utterly gorgeous! Doesn't include any of the fairies that often feature in Elsa Beskow's work: this is the more down to earth tale of little Pelle, owner of a lamb, who is growing out of his clothes.
"The lamb's coat grew longer and longer, but Pelle's coat only grew
Ashley
Apr 27, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This was a childhood favorite of mine. Reading it as an adult with my daughter has been a sweet experience and she has come to love it as well. There are many wonderful things about this book (beautiful illustrations, simple story line, sweet human/animal relationships, repetition - which appeals to a young audience) but I think the most fascinating thing is that it demonstrates where a piece of wool clothing comes from. In our modern world, we forget the amount of effort and the number of steps ...more
Karen
Aug 26, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and their parents
This is a beautiful little book for children. Pelle is a very hard worker and he trades his work for carding wool, and spinning wool, and the dye to color the wool. Then he works for his mother as she weaves the wool into cloth. He works hard for the tailor and he has his new suit!! Delightful story from which children can learn the lesson of work and the process of making wool into clothing.
Jane G Meyer
Sep 01, 2014 Jane G Meyer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wee little folk
I checked this sweet book out at the library and plan on purchasing a copy of my own. With my youngest being five, there are so many wonderful lessons hidden in this short story. Pelle's desire for a new suit sends him down a chore-filled path of raking hay, tending cows, feeding pigs and so on... and all the while the young reader gets to see how cloth is made and learn that just because you're small doesn't mean you can't get things done... More than that, it's not really a book that's all abo ...more
Laura Trombley
Dec 01, 2015 Laura Trombley rated it liked it
Although didactic, it teaches where things come from, how things were made long ago and therefore why we should take good care of our things, it is a rather sweet story.
Sinéad
May 29, 2015 Sinéad rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book for children around 5 years old and up. The illustrations are really cute and the plot is simple enough for a young children yet detailed enough for someone older.
It's great to see the process of making a woollen suit from sheep's back to tailor's shop and all the help that is traded along the way. This could be a good conversation starter about many good topics. I loved it so much I bought a big version for my child's teacher.
Rachel
Mar 12, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
Bartering economy at work! Also, a really nice book.
Robin Rousu
Nov 09, 2015 Robin Rousu rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet little classic picture book.
SmokingMirror
Dec 15, 2014 SmokingMirror rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
4.5
A classic.
Apr 29, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
This is a simple and charming story about a boy who needs a new suit and the way he gets it. By exchanging services, Pelle gets each step of the process completed: carding the wool, spinning it, weaving the fabric. He doesn't have the skills needed, but others in his community do, and he's able to offer his strengths to them: raking, feeding pigs, rowing a boat. Love the connection between desire for something and the work required to get it. Swedish author/illustrator.
Cindi
Nov 19, 2008 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I just loved this sweet story and adorable illustrations. About a boy who outgrows his suit and needs a new one. He shears his sheep and the book takes the reader through the process of getting a suit out of wool. I liked it especially because the boy takes his wool from place to place asking for help. Help is always given in exchange for him doing some work. In the end he has a beautiful new suit and thanks his sheep for it!
Lise
Feb 05, 2016 Lise rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The first of the Peter and Lotta books. I didn't really like it as a kid, but now I do!
ThePinkCarrot
Oct 09, 2014 ThePinkCarrot rated it it was amazing
Adorable!
Dino
Jan 26, 2016 Dino rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My last name is Pelle. My father is a tailor. Why wouldn't I give this 5 stars?
Laser
May 06, 2007 Laser rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters with kids
Shelves: childrens
Elsa Beskow wrote and illustrated most of her books around the 1920's. This one, about a little boy and his lamb and some wool is my favorite. All of her books are charming, imaginative and pro-nature. Why is it that all the best childrens books come from Europe?
Natalie
May 15, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: waldorf-y
Pelle gets a new suit, but he doesn't go to the store to buy it. He shears the sheep and then barters for all the other work needed to make the suit, carding the wool, spinning it, getting dye to dye it, and finally having the suit made.
Aug 04, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kept, hardback
This is a book from my childhood that my mother was getting rid of; so I grabbed it and absorbed it into my own library. :D

A young shepherd takes wool from his flock and barters various skills to have it made into a new suit.
Anna
Feb 09, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I haven't even seen this book but the brilliant iPhone app thought I rated it when I was just trying to scroll through... I can't figure out how to go back to no rating so I guess now I'll have to get the book & properly rate it!
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
Go on a journey with Pelle while he creates a suit from start to finish with his small town's help. This is a sweet story full of good lessons.
Suzie
Apr 23, 2013 Suzie rated it it was amazing
Ran out of renewals at the library on this one, and Hannah simply won't be parted from it. Time to make a purchase . . .
Kelly
Excellent and simple tale of the steps hard-working Pelle takes to get his new suit made from his lamb's wool.
Rachel
Dec 11, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
For brainwashing the children I love to support local enterprise and be nice to animals. And it's just a good story.
Polly
By no means the best of Elsa Beskow's picture books, but quite charming nonetheless.
  • Around the Year
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • The Happy Day
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
  • It's Spring!
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Spring Story
  • Footprints in the Snow (Hello Reader!, Level 1)
  • Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses