Start by marking “Braveheart” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  9,872 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Amid the color, pageantry, and violence of thirteenth-century Scotland unfurls the resplendent tale of the legendary William Wallace, farmer by birth, rebel by fate, who banded together his valiant army of Scots to crush the cruel tyranny of the English Plantagenet king.
Published 1995 by Bastei Lübbe

To ask other readers questions about Braveheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Braveheart

Saman Kashi

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Ahmad Sharabiani
Nov 25, 2010 Ahmad Sharabiani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fiction, movie
William Wallace is a Scottish rebel who leads an uprising against the cruel English ruler Edward the Longshanks, who wishes to inherit the crown of Scotland for himself. When he was a young boy, William Wallace's father and brother, along with many others, lost their lives trying to free Scotland. Once he loses another of his loved ones, William Wallace begins his long quest to make Scotland free once and for all, along with the assistance of Robert the Bruce...
Aug 08, 2008 Jeanettelkb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i LOVE this movie - even though it is not historically accurate. i love the growth of robert the bruce - and the wise cracking stephen.
unfortunately...the book SUCKED!
seriously - it was some MAN's (obviously man) portrayal of a man's man - it was terrible. the relationships between people - etc - terrible.
i wish i hadn't even picked it up
Sad Face
Jan 06, 2010 Sad Face rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read. Not too long. I would recommend this generally to anyone who enjoys reading.

According to my research, and contradictory to popular opinion, this is pretty accurate. The author took some liberaties with the plot and filled in some holes that, honestly, can never be factually filled, but I think he did a good job.

There is nothing fantastical about it, he kept it realistic, and tried his best to stick to the legends and stories that we do have.
Jan 07, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been quite a long time since I've read this, but it's one of my favorite movies of all time. If I remember right, it keeps very closely to the movie (which was written by the author of the book). I'm told that it isn't an accurate telling of William Wallace's life and that there are other books better suited to that. However, I did enjoy the book.
Mike (the Paladin)
Not a bad read about an extremely inspiring man. The story of the Scottish fight for freedom and the picture we get here of a patriot is a wonderful story. The history is a little shaky, but remember what the newspaper man in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence said: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
Oct 18, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Braveheart is a sad story about a Scottish man drivin mad by British oppression. William is the main character who loses his wife when a British General kills her. It is a very very sad book and it makes you think a lot. It takes place in the Middle Ages. He is still praised in Scottland for his courage (and yes he was real). I recomend this book to people looking for a good book that will take awhile to finish.
Nov 10, 2010 Ann-marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you pick up this book, don't plan on doing anything else until you've finished it. I think it's all time, the best book i've ever read. Oh and also plan on making a trip to the local video rental to get a copy of the movie. Even if you've already seen it.
Jan 16, 2011 Rosanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed. In short, the movie is far better than the book. I never thought I'd say that.

Of course, that's probably because this book came AFTER the movie.

There is a book the movie is based on, called The Scottish Chiefs. It's on my to-read list.
Aug 29, 2012 Lusitarius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved the movie ever since I saw it for the first time. That time I also had my first crush on actor, and since that I've been a huge Mel Gibson -fan. So it's really no wonder, that I wanted to read this book at some point of my life.

I liked the story very much. I could see it clearly in front of me; every moment of William Wallace's epic story. Characters were described very well, they seemed very realistic. The only negative thing in the book was the few too short chapters, they really bu
Aug 11, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was 13 as a strategy for getting my parents to let me watch the movie. I figured I could argue that since I'd read the book, then I knew all gruesome details that would be onscreen and thus not be "warped". That argument worked, and I did get to watch it. I don't remember a whole lot about this book other than I did love reading it despite my ulterior motives. It's grossly historically inaccurate (as is the film), but definitely an invigorating read.
Sep 12, 2011 woody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the movie and so when I saw this book I had to buy it. Not the greatest writing, but the story was just like the movie. I could picture Mel Gibson in my head as I read. Not sure that either the book or the movie is historically accurate, but the story is spellbinding. English oppressors, Scottish rebels with a charismatic leader beating back the more numerous English in most every battle, fighting for freedom.
I think I'll watch the movie again.
Oct 06, 2011 Morv rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Obviously this is essentially the movie in a book, it's in no way historically correct (most obvious point being the daughter of the King of France - she never met Wallace because she wasn't in England at the time).
Anyway, it's a good read, nothing hard to read and if you have seen the movie already then you can tell what it will be like.
Steven Ross
It had it's merits as a fun bit of fiction but............

Ever watch a movie or read a book and keep hearing a voice that says,"that's not the way it happened?" You have? Good. 'Nuff said.
Lo so che è da "femminucce", ma tutte le volte che leggo il libro o mi capita di rivedere il film, mi metto a singhiozzare. Mi commuove tantissimo questa storia.
I think it's very difficult to rate a really great book when it has been made into a really great movie. Usually when I read a book-to-movie, I almost always love the book more with the exception being The Notebook. This one was tough because I absolutely LOVED the movie before I even knew it was based on a novel and it is one of the best adaptations of a book that I have seen. I wish that I had read the book first because I think that I would have enjoyed the movie a LOT more. I remember when I ...more
Kanami Iinuma
BRAVEHEART - penguin,level3
7words. Man-Scottish-Blitish- family-fight-free-princess
Discussion question.
1.This main character fight to free his country from British, and finally he died. Can you fight for Japan?
-Maybe, I can't! Because I don't have brave heart like him, I don't want to die because of fight.
2.Scottish fought with using only sword. Do you think can they win enemies with using gun?
-I think they can win! Because to use clever idea is impo
Dec 31, 2012 Lexi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only difference between the movie and the book was the ending. There were literally the same lines, same speeches. The book just wasn't that great, the writing wasn't that great. And when you watch the movie you get to look at Mel Gibson so... I'm actually going to go with the movie on this one.
Oct 06, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out really well and then went continuously downhill after Murron's death.
Dec 20, 2013 Rkazmierski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this before I saw the movie. I loved it mostly because it speaks of patriotic heroism. The action was so intense at times that I felt my heart pounding. The romance side of it balanced the grueling violence enough to bring tears in my eyes amid the battles and suffering. Although true Scots don't like its inaccurate historical content, I very much enjoyed it as it gave me a glimpse into the past days of Scottish highlanders.
Koichi Amasaki
Jan 14, 2014 Koichi Amasaki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Randall Wallace captures the essence of William Wallace in ways the movie doesn't. Often times I prefer to read battle and combat scenes instead of watching it on the big screen. These scenes are very well written in the book. I am able to visualize it as I read. Anyone who enjoys the Scottish highlander culture should read the book in addition to seeing the movie.
Mar 13, 2014 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much liked the movie Braveheart. The same man who wrote the movie also wrote this book and they are almost identical, with a few relatively minor exceptions. Just as I liked the movie, I liked the book a lot. I've heard that the history is not terribly accurate here and there are clearly some speculative things. But as a heroic tale it certainly worked. At least for me.
Victor Orozco
Mar 26, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great. As far as movie adaptations go this was pretty good. Great movie Braveheart and just as good as a book. Nice detail to the characters from William Wallace and especially Princess Isabella. My guess over this adaptation is that it was based on a early draft of Randall Wallace's script. Little quirks such as Hamish punching William as a form of affection, the rearrangement of scenes, additional scenes that were probably never filmed or remain on the deleted scenes of a DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Apr 20, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liz Cee
Feb 15, 2015 Liz Cee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by a direct descendant of William Wallace. In the forward, Wallace tells us that not much is known about the Scottish hero and basically tells us that he filled in the blanks with his own imagination.

The reason I gave this book any stars at all, is because I am intrigued with that time period in history. The reason I deducted four stars was due to the ridiculous amount of typos in my e-book. There were one or more errors on each page! How can any editor let this happen? In
Kyle Malcore
May 03, 2016 Kyle Malcore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William Wallace is a Scottish rebellion that had his secretly married wife Murren get murdered by King Longshanks Village lord. This takes place in English territory prehistoric civil times. The problem for Wallace and his fellow Scotsmen try to rebel for freedom of Scotland from British exiles. Wallace is very successful in a lot of his battles, with his military technique and his own men fighting for Scotland The events that I enjoyed best were how strong the Scotsmen were and how Wallace and ...more
Mar 15, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the only movie that is exactly the same as the book. While it's an awesome love story and stale of courage, heroics and freedom it is totally unnecessary to read if you've seen the movie 15-20 times like I have. The worst part about it was I couldn't get Mel Gibson out of my mind the whole time. That and the fact that all I can think about when I envision the year of our Lord 1300 is the dank smells of dirty arm pits and naughty parts.
Oct 16, 2016 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cool historical story well written
  • Home Alone
  • Shrek!
  • Inception: The Shooting Script
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • Sleeping with the Enemy