Start by marking “Born in Shame (Born In trilogy #3)” as Want to Read:
Born in Shame (Born In trilogy #3)

Born in Shame (Born In #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  22,235 ratings  ·  441 reviews
Shannon Bodine’s life revolves around her job as a graphic artist at a New York ad agency. But her world turns upside down when she learns the identity of her real father: Thomas Concannon.

Obeying her late mother’s wishes, Shannon reluctantly travels to County Clare. There, amid the lush landscape steeped in legend, she meets her half sisters and their families, but she’s
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 28th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Born in Shame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born in Shame

What an awesome conclusion to the series! I think this might even be my favorite of the series, but then Born of Ice was excellent too.
Murphy was a fantastic, yummy, dreamy, wonderful hero that I couldn't get enough of and if Shannon was a little cold, she had reasons for acting this way. Besides, I loved watching the previous couples appearing in this one, without ever stealing the show. Highly recommended.
♡Karlyn P♡
A wonderful conclusion to the series. The romance between Murphy and Shannon was sweet with a little bit of Irish magic, but it was a bit light compared to the first two. I would recommend reading this book only after reading the first two. I don't think this book as a stand-alone explained all of the characters and their relationships to each other well enough to really enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.
Book 3 in the "Born In" trilogy. This trilogy is my all time favorite series.

In this one, there is Shannon, an American, whose Mother makes a death bed confession about Shannon being conceived in Ireland, and whose Father was a married man. Everything Shannon believed had been a lie. When she receives a letter from Brianna, her half-sister, she makes a trip to Ireland where she meets her new family and Murphy, a family friend.
At times, the story tends to drag a bit but all unanswered questions
After reading the beautiful romance between Brie and Grayson, I though the bar was set so high that I might not like this third book in the trilogy. But true to Nora Roberts, I loved it none the less.

Firstly, the beginning of the book was really touching and sad with Shannon discovering that her real father she never truly met and to discover the heartbreak that her mother had felt. She does not really come off as a likeable character in the beginning but I suppose that is just because she was u
Katy Kennedy
May 24, 2015 Katy Kennedy marked it as i-tried  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A UN ALMA EN PENA
No le voy a poner puntuación porque no lo terminé. Pero sí voy a decir por qué lo dejé.

Qué decirles sobre este lindo y maravilloso perrito. No se quejaba de su vida ni de su amor. Ni se enojaba con nadie. Ni tenía problemas de cualquier tipo. Y todo el mundo lo quería. Incluidos todos los lectores, seguramente.

Oooshhh, Nora, Nori, Norita. La verdad que con respecto a tu narración no tengo nada de qué quejarme, es muy simple y ligera. Además me gustan tus diá

This is me while I was reading the whole trilogy...

You can see the following review also here:

I am so sad that this trilogy came to end with this book! It was more difficult to read this book because it had many sad moments but it was as good as the previous two! All the trilogy is set in Ireland but this story gives us the mystical side of this beautiful country.

It’s time for Maggie and Brianna to meet their half-sister, Shannon. It’s not easy for her to
Jacob Proffitt
I did not love this book. Indeed, I barely made it through the last half. If it hadn't been for falling in love with Murphy, there's no way I'd have made it through.

Here's the thing: Shannon spends the entire freaking book being a complete and utter idiot—which would have been fine if I hadn't felt the whole time that she was only being a complete and utter idiot because Nora Roberts needed her to be in order for the book to last longer than a short story. This stuff isn't really spoilers as all
BJ Rose
What a wonderful conclusion to a very good trilogy! The first chapter in Born in Fire (Born In trilogy #1) grabbed me and drew me in to the Irish flavor and culture of the series, but by the time I finished that book, I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue. It was very much an OK story, but Maggie was difficult to like, so I put the rest of the series on hold until recently. I'm so glad I continued. I loved Brianna & Grayson's story in Born in Ice (Born In trilogy #2), but Born in Shame (Born ...more
I think this book grows on me each time I re-read it. The first book in the series has always been my favorite, but yet I found myself utterly enjoying this one this time around too. It's sweetness more poignant by the pain of loss. Shannon is coming to grips with so much change in her life and yet she's finding a her way with grace and poise. Murphy is of course the dreamer romantic and yet so loving you can't help but believe him in the immediacy of his feelings.

I love the backdrop of Ireland
Not great. And a letdown after the previous one.
All along the book, it felt like a corny and quaint postcard series of Ireland and Irish way of living. On the other hand, Shannon was really a poor heroine with very little depth. Honestly I could not understand what Murphy saw in her, despite recognizing her for the figure haunting his dreams since childhood and despite her physical beauty. She did not have much more and least of it any consistency. She insisted and repeated to others and herself
After finishing the last book in the "Born In.." series I felt like I was saying goodbye to long lost friends. This rarely happens for me because I read so much, but Nora introduced me to the best of people and the best of traditions. I may not read for a couple of days and those who know me will be shocked because I am rarely seen without a book in my hand or a book on the fireplace calling my name. I feel I should mourn the loss of never again getting to read for the first time this "Born In.. ...more
Din pacate aceasta trilogie nu se numara printre preferatele mele din cauza acestei carti. Prima carte din serie a fost cea mai buna, mi-a placut foarte mult, a doua a fost buna, dar dupa parerea mea nu s-a ridicat la nivelul primei carti din serie si aceasta, a treia a fost o dezamagire. L-am cunoscut pe Murphy inca din parte carte, dar nu mi-a placut in mod deosebit dar in acest volum am fost extrem de dezamagita de felul cum gandeste si modul cum a incercat sa o convinga pe Shannon ca el este ...more
I haven't read the first book in this series. I picked up the second book, Born in Ice at the thrift store and read the entire book one night during a blizzard. When I saw Born in Shame at the same thrift store a few days later I couldn't believe my good fortune. I LOVED Brianna and Gray and I so very much wanted to know what happened to them.

I didn't like Shannon at first and it took me a while to warm to her character, though I'm wondering if that is exactly what Nora Roberts wanted. I was ha
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I didn't read the first of these books with Maggie, as her personality doesn't appeal to me (she's very like me actually, but I don't want to read about fiery prickles like me) but I did read the second in this series, Born in Ice, and enjoyed it very much.

In a lot of ways I enjoyed this book more than Born in Ice. I think I liked the h better in Born in Ice, but I liked the story better in this one. (view spoiler)
I did enjoy the whole series but while I loved the other 2 books this one wasn't as good for me. I did not care much for the heroine, I found her too hard-headed and even a bit annoying. The hero, while I loved him in the past books just disappointed me in this one. I like my romances to develop smoothly and a bit more slower than this one. I just can't understand nor care for a romance where the hero decides to be in love with the heroine by plain sight, even though he had been having dreads ab ...more
Graphic Artist Shannon Bodine has worked hard to get to the top of the corporate ladder. But her world is shaken when she learns that she was the result of her mother's secret relationship with Thomas Concannon. She also learns that she has two sisters living in Ireland who have been searching for her. Shannon soon travels to County Clare to meet Maggie, Brianna and their families. Getting to know them is a slow and awkward process, but meeting their next door neighbor makes the trip easier. Mur ...more
I really loved this at times (grief and unexpected sisterhood and falling into family was ALL GOOD, and the final reconciliation between Shannon and Murphy was SO GOOD), but there's a weird passage about the American civil war and slavery that was unnecessary and souring. Set after the characters sing a song about James Connolly, American Shannon comments:
"It's an odd culture that writes lovely songs about an execution."

"We don't forget our heroes," Maggie said with a snap in her voice. "Isn't
I liked this book the best in the Born In trilogy. I think it was because of Murphy; I didn't check the goodreads' character listing for the book, hoping to be surprised with whom Shannon gets paired. I was not disappointed! Roberts throws a little magic in this one. My only wish is that there was an epilogue; I find it a little sad to leave Ireland so soon!
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)

I read this one just as fast as the other Born in Trilogy books. The reason for that is because they are soo good that you don't ever want to put them down for a second in case you forget with where you were reading at. Trust me that has happened before and I was like -.- NOOOO THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!! Let's just say that I wasn't a very happy person at all. So I recommened with this tril
Jacquey25 Hubler
Alex is The Romance Fox
SYNOPSIS: A talented graphic artist, Shannon Bodine's life revolved around her job at a prestigious New York advertising agency. But her world was turned upside down whe she learned the identity of her real father: Thomas Concannon. Respecting her late mother's last wish, Shannon reluctantly traveled to County Clare. There, her loneliness and shame melted away in the embrace of the family she never knew existed. And amid the lush Irish landscape steeped in mysticism and legend, she discovered th ...more
I really have a issue with the third books of a series.Is it just me,or does everyone feel like the third book's not that good as the first two ones.Maybe it's the high expectations,I don't have an idea.

The first two books of the Born In trilogy,were something I greatly admired.Both Maggie and Brianna were amazing in their own unique way,so does there matches.Rogan and Grayson made me swoon.But it's as if Born in Shame has not actually touched the expectations the first two books created.

There w
Ana T.
I was convinced that I had read the first two books in this trilogy when I picked up this one. But now it seems I only read the first one, Born in Fire, and I have yet Brianna's story to tackle.

Born in Shame brings us back to Ireland, one of Roberts favourite settings, and to the Concannon family. Shannon Bodine is Tom Concannon's illegitimate daughter, she is the fruit of a brief affair Tom had with an American woman and she has always believed the man her mother was married to was her real fa
*.Amaia.* BlackMagicRose
I had high expectations for this last book. Murphy was one of my favourite characters in the first two books and I really wanted his story to be perfect. I liked it but I guess it wasn't good enough, I felt as it didn't do justice to the character. Still it was a sweet and enjoyable story, nice final touch to the series.
Some close friends of mine highly recommended this series of Nora Roberts and I concur... they were really good. Typical steamy, fun romance but wonderful characters that I grew attached to more and more throughout the series. I even grew fond of Maggie from the first book by the time the third rolled around! It was nice to see the continued story lines of the first two main characters as they lived out their marriages.
Patty Brown
Absolutely awesome. Usually in a trilogy or series the first book (to me) is always the best. This was by all time the best of the three in this series. I don't usually cry in my books (except for Nicholas Sparks). At the end I was in tears. If this book (or trilogy) was not made a move or tv show (as some of Roberts books are) it SHOULD be. Wonderful job in tying all three books together as well.
Nikki Kalani
Okay this book was the last one in the series and boy was it funny and romantic. To see that both Maggie and Brianna had children of their own now as well as happily married and so in love. It all warmed my heart to read about them and then Maggie was pregnant again. I just loved little Liam and the way he says tea, kiss and cake...
This one was about Shannon the third sister and i loved her journey, specially when she warmed towards her sisters and brother in laws. Murphy was such a charming man
Liza Wiemer
I've been in the mood to revisit my old favorite Nora Roberts novels The "Born in" series is absolutely the best. The connection to Ireland and the descriptions bring me right there. I love these characters. Find myself invested in them. By far, this is one of the best series Nora's written. If you haven't read anything by her, start with Born in Fire, the first in this series!!

It's crazy for me to reread anything, but wow. Even knowing exactly what happens in this series, I'm completely entrenc
Riccarla Roman
When you start a Nora Roberts trilogy, you have to finish it. The concluding book is about the third Concannon sister. But weren't there only two? Well, it seems that their father, trapped in the loveless marriage with their mother, met an American tourist, had a brief, happy affair, and fathered a daughter. He never met her and until her mother dies, Shannon Bodine had no idea that the man she called her father wasn't her father. She decides to make the trek to Ireland to meet her half sisters. ...more
In the third and sorry to say, last book of the "Born in.." series we meet Shannon, half-sister to Maggie and Brianna. She has a high end lifestyle in New York that she is quite contented with. On her death bed, her mother tells a story of love and loss that resulted in Shannon. When she receives a letter from Brianna, Shannon takes fate in her hand and travel to Ireland.

In the two books before we have meet Murphy, a steady farmer with dreamy eyes that sings and read poetry. He is like a brother
A Million More Pages: 3 - Born in Shame (Born In Trilogy): Mar 18 18 16 Apr 30, 2015 07:21PM
  • Survivor In Death (In Death, #20)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Vows
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

Born In (3 books)
  • Born in Fire (Born In Trilogy, #1)
  • Born in Ice (Born In Trilogy, #2)

“Tom: If you love with kindness, even when you can't love with permanence, you'll deserve the one who's worthy along that path for you.” 14 likes
“Shannon: Only the living suffered. Only they were riddled with guilt and regret and unanswered questions.” 9 likes