Moon Magic

Moon Magic

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  7 reviews
'First published in 1938 and 1956, neither Sea Priestess nor Moon Magic have been out of print and are enduring favorites among readers of esoteric fiction. 'New packages will update these classic novels and introduce them to a new generation of readers.
Published June 1st 2003 by Weiser Books (first published 1956)

Karmic Krackers by Dab10Pursuit by Jim MurdochRipple by Tui AllenOutview by Brandt LeggThe Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
Visionary & Metaphysical Fiction
10th out of 135 books — 154 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyBook of Shadows by Cate TiernanA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessWitch Child by Celia ReesThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Wicca and other Pagan-based Fiction
111th out of 241 books — 630 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet
As Dion Fortune herself states in her introduction, this is not a novel for entertainment, but a novel that illustrates the application of the magical theories described in her non-fiction works. Perhaps to someone unfamiliar with those concepts this might be simply an interesting fantasy, but I found it quite powerful, illuminating, and inspiring.
Jen McConnel
Dion Fortune's books are packed with esoteric wisdom, and she's sometimes a hard author to read. I've been working my way slowly through this novel for months, but last night I was finally able to finish it.

This book is the sequel to "The Sea Priestess", but it could easily be read and understood alone. I preferred this novel, in fact.

Lilith Le Fey is a strange woman by the standards of pre-war British society. She lives alone, practices ancient magic, and is searching for a priest to help her c...more
Carolina Montague
Oct 27, 2012 Carolina Montague rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carolina by: Deborah Bennett
I read a friend's copy in 1980 and when it was reissued, got a copy of my own.

Fortune was a member of occult circles in the early to mid 20th century. She writes with the authority of one who is steeped in the occult traditions she uses in this novel.

The crotchety character of Malcolm, the doctor selected for her by the gods to work magic to create a shift in the collective consciousness by the ritual she creates is quite vivid, as is the priestess. What she seeks to shift is the repressive two-...more
Cliff Vititoe
I love the way Dion writes, a little old fashion at times but wonderful, or so I think. She gives you enough about the characters without bogging you down with to much detail. By the time I finished the book I had a good understanding of Ms. Fortune's spirituality and beliefs.
Nea
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved Lilith's courage, power and overall presence. What a perfect character! Strong yet gentle, masterful yet patient with her "student."

I did feel, however, that the book came to a rather abrupt end. When Lilith says in chapter 17, "We have done the first part of that which we set out to do..." I expected a lot more to happen. But the book was over in the very next chapter. That was my only semi-complaint. The writing was great, the characters kept me interes...more
Aaron Meyer
My favorite of the fictional works of Dion Fortune. I liked it better than the Sea Priestess which was the first in the series. Like the Sea Priestess, this work is an essential one on the shelf just for the demonstration of how occult ideas work in life.
David
sequel to the Sea Priestess
Paul
Marvelous book!
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Emory
Emory marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Julie Chadwell
Julie Chadwell marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Oneuniquequeen
Oneuniquequeen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Enki K.
Enki K. marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ashley wilson
Ashley wilson marked it as to-read
Caleb Smith
Caleb Smith marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Milena
Milena marked it as to-read
Hic
Hic marked it as to-read
Cassie Dextradeur
Cassie Dextradeur marked it as to-read
Ravenwolf
Ravenwolf marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Ericknupp
Ericknupp marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Rainbow Moonstone
Rainbow Moonstone marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Ronald Clarke
Ronald Clarke marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Heathens, Pagans ...: * Moon Magic 28 41 Jul 24, 2014 10:27PM
  • Witchcraft for Tomorrow
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • Mastering Witchcraft: A Practical Guide for Witches, Warlocks & Covens
  • Kissing The Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Magick Without Tears
  • Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Liber Kaos
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
  • Wicca: The Old Religion In the New Millennium
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • The Key of Solomon the King: Clavicula Salomonis
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
Violet Mary Firth Evans (better known as Dion Fortune), was a British occultist and author. Her pseudonym was inspired by her family motto "Deo, non fortuna" (Latin for "by God, not fate").

From 1919 she began writing a number of novels and short stories that explored various aspects of magic and mysticism, including The Demon Lover, The Winged Bull, The Goat-Foot God, and The Secrets of Dr. Tavern...more
More about Dion Fortune...
The Mystical Qabalah Psychic Self-Defense Sea Priestess The Secrets of Dr. Taverner The Goat-Foot God