Start by marking “Sea Priestess” as Want to Read:
Sea Priestess

Sea Priestess

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Sea Priestess is the highly acclaimed novel in which Dion Fortune introduces her most powerful fictional character, Vivien Le Fay Morgan- a practicing initiate of the Hermetic Path. Vivien has the ability to transform herself into magical images, and here she becomes Morgan Le Fay, sea priestess of Atlantis and foster daughter to Merlin! Desperately in love with Vivien ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Red Wheel/Weiser (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Priestess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Priestess

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyBook of Shadows by Cate TiernanA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessWitch Child by Celia ReesStardust by Neil Gaiman
Wicca and other Pagan-based Fiction
72nd out of 373 books — 751 voters
Karmic Krackers by Dab10Pursuit by Jim MurdochRipple by Tui AllenThe Other Side of Eve by Paul IkinOutview by Brandt Legg
Visionary & Metaphysical Fiction
23rd out of 189 books — 211 voters

More lists with this book...

the old ways were passed on in stories such as these. a woman, a man, a temple, the sea, the moon: nothing more is needed, but more can always be said, and the added details are specific to an age and its people, and make the deeper truths the more real--the more useful, the more applicable to their own lives--for them. evoking a series of vivid images that bring to life the workings of a particular sort of magic, this book accomplishes for the reader what its characters, in its pages, set out t ...more
Judy Croome
Originally written (and self-published) in 1938, this novel is filled with wonder and wisdom. Wilfred Maxwell as a character is a superb representation of human nature at its most paradoxical. From his on-going battle with his narrow minded, domineering sister, to his passion for the mysterious Vivien Le Fay Morgan and his tenderness for the young Molly, Wilfred’s spiritual growth is as fascinating as his sly wit is hilarious.

The style of the novel is a free-flowing and deep as the sea itself.
See the full review here--

Review: I loved this book. After thinking of my feelings of this beautiful novel I kept having trouble in a way I hadn't before. This novel causes a lot of introspection and it's very spiritual and New Age. I had to continually remind myself it was written in the 1930s. So if I were to write a review about how this book made me feel and what it did to me-- I'd be revealing the most intimate aspects of my soul. And well, I love yo
Feb 27, 2014 Inara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with occult interests
Although this book is a "classic" in spiritual novels and I was spellbound by the description of moon magic, mythology, rituals and the great occult wisdom by Dion Fortune I found it sometimes.. long-winded. But if you have made it through the boring description of Wilfrids life and the mysterious Vivien arrives it gets better and more interesting. The writing style of the author and the way of thinking and the behaviour of the characters appear often antiquated to me (it was written around 1930 ...more
Yes, the book is about Morgan, but it's really about Wilfred, our narrarator, who starts off the book as a self-described "mother's boy", directionless and hating his life. Morgan turns his life around completely. The book features some gorgeous poetry and ritual centered around the Great Goddess Isis. I had to keep reminding myself this book was written in the 1930's because so much of it has influenced contemporary writing on Magick, Witchcraft, and the Occult!
Haunting. I am new to Dion Fortune. Her books were recommended to me by a tarot reader on a forum. I am also a tarot reader & I can't believe that it's only now that I have discovered her. So interesting to hear her language from the time. Very quaint. But also interesting to see how she inserts magical instruction in the framework of a story.
Fun read for a lark. I like this sort of stuff.
This book spells out some of Fortune's thinking and beliefs. Fortune reported visions of Atlantis at a very early age and later developed psychic abilities. Drawn to the occult, she joined the Theosophical Society. Sea Priestess and another book Moon Magic, became influential within Wicca.
Carolina Montague
May 01, 2013 Carolina Montague rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carolina by: Deborah Bennett
Estate agent Wilfred Maxwell, stricken with asthma, assists mysterious Le Fay Morgan by transforming an old fort by the sea into a villa for her to inhabit. As he bumbles through this task, he is assaulted with memories of being drowned in a sea cave underneath the fort and agrees to revive occult the practices of Atlantis with her.
I had to read this for a Seminar "The Occult in modern literature" and therefor it was interesting, no doubt, but in the reading it wasn't much fun. So, if you are interested in the Tradition of Western Occultism this is an interesting lecture, but if you are searching for a good novel - choose something else.
Althea Ann
This 1938 'novel of the occult' by the well-known psychic Dion Fortune (born Violet Firth), was initially self-published, which, I have to admit, gave me some serious doubts about its quality - but after reading it, I would have to say that her difficulty in finding a publisher was probably indeed due to its subject matter, not her ability as a literary stylist (the book has stayed in print, posthumously, until the present day.)
This however, is not to say that a modern reader will find any of th
Bart Everson
I’ve long had an interest, however weak, in esoteric matters. Since the birth of my daughter I’ve been particularly interested in goddess worship, or more specifically the modern revival of ancient goddess religion. That interest led me to this novel by Dion Fortune.

This is the tale of a bored British real estate broker who gets involved with a seemingly ageless woman who may just happen to be the reincarnation of a priestess from ancient Atlantis. They get up to some pretty occult stuff togethe
Before reading The Sea Priestess forget all your notions of how a traditional novel should read, and you will enjoy it immensely. It starts slowly, but unfolds like a visceral and psychedelic poem, and in the end is well worth the effort.

Without question the novel is very wordy, and an editor would have had much to work with. However, I admire Fortune for publishing the book privately, and staying true to her artistic vision.
Aaron Meyer
An interesting story. The first in two books that are linked. Although I feel that Moon Magic was the superior book, this book was good in its own right. Occult truths given out and placed into a fictional setting.
This is something that Dion Fortune excelled at.
Katharine Kerr
All of Fortune's novels fall into the category of the "Literature of Ideas", and in her case, the ideas concern the practice and rituals of Magick. They are not meant to be entertainments, though at moments they can entertain, or "fun fast reads".

When the character of Vivian Le Fay Morgan appears, the book takes wings and flies. When she leaves, it's back to earth for a tidy wrap-up. Still, this novel and its sequel, MOON MAGIC, show Fortune's ideas at their most mature. They make the pair well
Absolutely terrible.
Sofia Nitchie
This book has some interesting parts to it. I think it reflects on the time period it was written in, which if I'm not mistaken is the 40s, when witchcraft was banned. The author slid it in carefully as an undertext, although some of the ideas were still put in such esoteric terms that I didn't totally get what she was talking to. But incredibly feminist and encouraging women to take initiative in the bedroom in a stuffy age. why not
adri patamoma
o que mais impressiona neste livro é o fato dele ter sido escrito na década de 30 e já trazer em si conceitos tão presentes em textos esotéricos mais 'moderninhos'. nada se cria, tudo se transforma... dione conseguiu escrever um romance esotérico bacana pra época dela, mas a tradução que li não ajudou muito, e o tema tb não me é tão querido a ponto de me fazer realmente apreciar a história.
Aaron Meyer
This is something that Dion Fortune excelled at.
This is my 2nd read of the book and I liked it better - the imagery is wonderful. It is almost hard to place the book in the early 20th century, as in some ways it seems quite modern. I guess New Age is not as "new" as is normally supposed.
Faye Dewell
This was an unexpected book for me. I was a bit skeptical when I started it but in the end am really glad that I picked it up. There are some amazing insights into Wicca in this book and it triggered some interesting introspection on my part.
I enjoyed this book. There is wisdom in it. It is not as pleasing to read as some other fiction, but has a lot more depth than most.
Mystical writer from the 1920s, Fortune will draw you in. Excellent story of earth-based spirituality.
Terrible writing style. On top of which this is a fairly boring book.
Feb 19, 2010 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Slow paced in parts, but wonderfully and magically written.
A bit difficult to get into, but well worth persisting.
Lovely Book. Gives an interesting insight into her work.
Kathy Peveler
If you want to know how magic works, read this book.
oh my wow. what a good book!
G. Vasey

• Lammas Night
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • Hekate Liminal Rites - A Study of the Rituals, Magic and Symbols of the torch-bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Ladies of the Lake
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • What Witches Do: A Modern Coven Revealed
  • Taliesin: The Last Celtic Shaman
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • The God of the Witches
Violet Mary Firth Evans (better known as Dion Fortune), was a British occultist and author. Her pseudonym was inspired by her family motto "Deo, non fortuna" (Latin for "by God, not fate").

From 1919 she began writing a number of novels and short stories that explored various aspects of magic and mysticism, including The Demon Lover, The Winged Bull, The Goat-Foot God, and The Secrets of Dr. Tavern
More about Dion Fortune...