Start by marking “Psychic Self-Defense” as Want to Read:
Psychic Self-Defense

Psychic Self-Defense

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  34 reviews
After finding herself the subject of a powerful psychic attack, Dion Fortune wrote this detailed instruction manual for safeguarding yourself against paranormal malevolence. Fortune explores the elusive psychic element in mental illness and, more importantly, details the methods, motives, and physical aspects of psychic attack, and how to overcome this energy. The revised ...more
Published March 31st 2001 by Red Wheel/Weiser (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Psychic Self-Defense, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Helen
It was OK, but I didn't like it. Not much of self-defense, more of advice to get help of initiate in occult, and you never know if it will create much more potent troubles for you in this life and those that will follow - this is impression I got from this book. And becoming an initiate in the wrong place is even worse.

Incredibly boring, rather collection of occult horror stories, that has nothing to do with helping reader with psychic SELF-defense.

For whatever is there for self-defense, go to C
Keshia
This started out as a slow read. I wondered if it would hold my interest long enough for me to finish. My patience was indeed rewarded as Dion shared her phychic experiences as they relate to attack. They are akin to what some call 'spiritual warfare' and should not be solely relegated to the 'occult' realm but necessary for all religions, religious leaders and even laymen. Much about this book piqued my interest and entices me to learn more as she skims the surface of spiritual connections and ...more
Purnacandra Sivarupa
A classic in the field of practical occultism, to be sure, but it falls from the all-too-common pitfall of denying the reader much information of real immediate use due to the desire to keep potentially dangerous techniques out of the hands of beginners. It is not merely a matter of "hiding" such information in such a way that only the "ripe" reader will be able to decode it; Dion Fortune outright refuses to give the reader much of anything in the way of method. This book is mostly valuable for ...more
Kirsten Weiss
This book was part of my research for The Infernal Detective, and it was a fascinating look at magickal and psychological thought in the early twentieth century. Psychic Self-Defense is frequently cited as a "must read" for magickal practitioners. But even if you're not a practitioner, it's a fun read.

Thought forms, black lodges, hauntings, attachment, psychic attack and defense (with the focus on defense)... It's all there. And though the cover touts it as an instruction manual, it's written mo
Marta Fabianek
This is a very good insight into occultism during the author's time. A bit of a heavier read (maybe that's just me since my mother language isn't English) but very interesting nonetheless.
There are many case studies that explain the different situations, towards the end there is information on defense as well (pointing this out for anyone expecting this to be a *how to defend myself* manual only).
Simone
This book is worth reading - not necessarily to learn psychic self-defense, but rather to read of Dion Fortune's strange anecdotes from the world of esoteric Christian occultism including "psychic battles" and other goings-ons during the 1920s/30s.
Aaron Meyer
An important work which all occultists should have in their library. The insights in the book are gathered from a long career and are very useful to those who would take the time to apply them in their work.
Andrea
i think i'll stay away from the world of the occult.
Eartha
Highly credible and a very interesting read.
Piotr
The strong side of this book is that it explains the influence of astral energies in everyday-life situations in a very easy to grasp and intuitive (even trivial) way. The down side is that what's inside could be written on 20 pages and that it's only basic, even elementary knowledge for people who otherwise have no clue what's going on.
Erren Wolf
Dion Fortune has described how to defend yourself against psychic attack and has also described other interesting situations that she found herself in that is not of the norm. She describes how she created a werewolf when she was angry and how she found her mentor sleeping at the foot of her bed when he was ill in the next room. He had come out of his body to be near a friend. To defend yourself against a psychic attack, you must never feel fear. This is not very helpful to someone like me who h ...more
Vanessa
Not a lot of actual self-defense in this, but a fairly thorough collection of psychic experiences and info.
Dav8d777
Not her best book, but she relates some interesting stories from her life.
Khara
Mostly off-topic, frequently unbelievable, but at times amusing.
Peter J.
Interesting when she spoke abstractly, but her personal examples grew ever more outlandish and implausible. Having read many occult works, this didn't align with the theories found in any of them. I believe her sincere, but either delusional or an addict of some sort.
Tom
I was actually a little spooked by this book. I can't say that about any other book. I think the fact that there are people out there who believe in this stuff is in itself a little frightening.
Rusty

An okay book.

I personally didn't find much information on Psychic Self Defense in the book.

But that's probably just me. But I still did enjoy reading the book.

Ankhshi
This is a great book recommended by a friend of mine who is also a great teacher . . .there are other books that are fantastic as well. .This author has passed on and is amazing.
Gwyndyllyn
Still the classic on this topic. Sometimes Dion Fortune's sexual ethics are a bit "old school" but she is quite wise and her materials are excellent.
Robert
This book was one of my first inspirations into the study of Defensive occultism.. its Not to be missed by all seekers of the Magickal/Occult
Audrey
Brilliant book for her time... she did die in 1946 after all ... what do some people expect for the era ???????
Eoghan
Was ok, I am open minded, probably most helpful for the Christian Mystic or Occultist along the sort of lines.
Maryellen
a classic for those interested in esoteric studies ~ I found it just a tad dated, but most often amusingly so
Kristina
Very old vocabulary used, but very interesting read. I love this hokey-kokey kinda stuff ;)
Kilian
I like the way she explains things. To all who are interested in the theme, I advise the book.
Eve
A consistant re reader for me. It balances and validates my everyday experiences
Cat
Fascinating book, but not as practical as I would like.
Sean Mah
An interesting read. Highly recommended.
Deborah Bonnar
I wish I'd been given this book as a child.
Brendan
An essential primer for anyone entering the path.
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • The Key of Solomon the King: Clavicula Salomonis
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure
  • Magick in Theory and Practice
  • Real Magic
  • The History of Magic
  • The Rebirth of Witchcraft
  • Mastering Witchcraft: A Practical Guide for Witches, Warlocks & Covens
  • The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages
Violet Mary Firth Evans (better known as Dion Fortune), was a British occultist and author. Her pseudonym was inspired by her family motto "Deo, non fortuna" (Latin for "by God, not fate").

From 1919 she began writing a number of novels and short stories that explored various aspects of magic and mysticism, including The Demon Lover, The Winged Bull, The Goat-Foot God, and The Secrets of Dr. Tavern
More about Dion Fortune...
The Mystical Qabalah Sea Priestess Moon Magic The Secrets of Dr. Taverner The Goat-Foot God

“...the neurotic is very often psychic, and the psychic is very often neurotic.” 6 likes
“The body is the vehicle of the mind.” 5 likes