Start by marking “Richard Rodgers” as Want to Read:
Richard Rodgers

Richard Rodgers

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Hyland's portrait of Rodgers (1902-79) begins with his childhood in an affluent Jewish family living in the Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan. During college years at Columbia University and early work on the amateur circuit and Broadway, Rodgers entered into a historic collaboration with the lyricist Lorenz Hart. The team produced a dozen popular shows and such enduring so ...more
Published April 20th 1998 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about Richard Rodgers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Rodgers

Don
I loved this because it focused primarily on Rodgers's work. The portrayal fouussed on what we would want to kmow to better understand why he produced what he did. Truly exceptional!
Oliver Hazan
An good biography, which deals more into the works than into the life of Richard Rodgers. Most interesting to me was the genesis of various forgotten flops, especially the later ones (I Remember Mama with Liv Ullman?!?!).
Scott
Interesting biography on a fine composer of stage music. I especially enjoyed the chapters that covered his collaboration with Oscar Hammerstein. I was glad I found this in the library.
Gustavo Vasquez
Gustavo Vasquez marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Joyce
Joyce added it
Jun 25, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
William George Hyland (January 18, 1929 – March 25, 2008) was Deputy National Security Advisor to President of the United States Gerald Ford and editor of Foreign Affairs magazine.

Father of author William G. Hyland Jr.
More about William G. Hyland...
George Gershwin: A New Biography Clinton's World: Remaking American Foreign Policy The Song Is Ended: Songwriters and American Music, 1900-1950 The Cold War Is Over Mortal Rivals: Superpower Relations from Nixon to Reagan