Start by marking “Ansel Adams: America's Photographer” as Want to Read:
Ansel Adams: America's Photographer

Ansel Adams: America's Photographer

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The renowned--and revered--photographer would have been 100 years old in 2002. To celebrate the life of Ansel Adams, this biography takes young readers through his rich life: from the earthquake that broke his nose to the valley that shaped his world, revealing the humorous, artistic, and thoughtful personality behind his legendary work.
Published September 1st 2002 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ansel Adams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ansel Adams

Courtney Schlenker
Ansel Adams: America’s Photographer by Beverly Gherman is a book that opens up Ansel Adams’ life as a photographer living in San Francisco. He mostly took landscape pictures and is known mostly for his landscape pictures of Half Dome, which is in Yosemite, CA. The reader gets to hear about Adams’ childhood living in San Francisco and follow him growing up as he begins to attach to photography and the piano. The book is an easy read which lets younger people read is without trouble. We get to hea ...more
Elaine
I have always loved Ansel Adams' photography. Since Yosemite is my favorite national park, and much of his photography is of that place, this book was a natural fit for me. It is actually written for a younger reader (upper elementary - middle), and I actually enjoyed the simple language and easy writing style. The book is rich with Ansel's photographs, so the sheer pleasure of this book lies therein! A real treat. I knew a bit about him, but this book revealed some facts about him that I did no ...more
Maxine
A wonderful book of Ansel Adams life and his photography. It describes his personal life from beginning to end 1902-1984 (lived 82 years) and made his mark. He loved photography and certainly took some beautiful photographs of natural sites. He loved Yosemite and documented many lovely sites there. Franklin Roosevelt persuaded congress to preserve Canyon National Park bill in 1940 after seeing the pictures in Ansel book Sierra Nevada: The John Muir Trail. President Carter bestowed the Medal of F ...more
Donnell
This book reads, delightfully, as if the author is reading to you in a soft, melodious voice.

The photos are stunning, of course. Great to get, finally, the back story. Interesting that Ansel actually lived in Yosemite for a good portion of his life and that his passion for the place mirrored John Muir's though the two just miss meeting ( 14 year old Ansel's first visit to Yosemite is a year and a half after Muir's death.)

Also fascinating: that the Panama Pacific expedition--so stupendous in its
Elise
Read by Constance. She appreciated his talent, sense of humor, and character. Constance also likes his pictures. She also liked the historical perspective covered in the book.

It is written in clear language and is easy to follow his story.
Mark Masters
Ansel Adams may have been a truly gifted artist, but like most of us, I suspect this life was not truly remarkable. This book only proves this hypothesis. If anyone is really interest if Ansel Adam’s life, he would be better served looking it up in Wikipedia.

In truth, this book was a Christmas gift, and I somehow felt obligated to read it. Other than that, I most likely would not have picked it to read by myself.
Diane
Amstel Adams led such an interesting life. The photos accompanying the story really make the book, obviously.
Jeff Parry
I liked it. A good intro to his life with nice big pictures. A primer to his autobiography.
CT
Great bio of America's most famous landscape photographer.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Roz
Roz marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Alonso
Alonso marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Casey Kiernan
Casey Kiernan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Samuel Smith
Samuel Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2012
BEVERLY GHERMAN has previously written children's biographies of Georgia O'Keeffe, Agnes de Mille, Sandra Day O'Connor, E.B. White, Wilhelm Röntgen, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Norman Rockwell. She lives in San Francisco, California.
More about Beverly Gherman...
Sparky: The Life and Art of Charles Schulz First Mothers Norman Rockwell: Storyteller With A Brush E. B. White: Some Writer Anne Morrow Lindbergh: Between the Sea and the Stars