Start by marking “The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen

The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen

Though Jane Austen had little contact with society outside her extended family, and none whatsoever with London literary life, her novels have long been admired for their sharp - indeed wicked - social observations, their satirical wit, the brilliance of the author's comic realism, and her sure grasp of human nature.

The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen,
is an absorbing collec

Published March 7th 2002 by B & N

To ask other readers questions about The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wit and Wisdom of Jane Austen

Carol
Nov 19, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austin
What an excellent book! There are quotes and parts of letters that Jane wrote to family and friends, especially her sister Cassandra. Jane was quite interesting in her speech and letter writing. Jane wrote 6 novels, which only 4 were published during her lifetime. Jane loved dry irony and in this book we can see it in her letters to all family members. Jane had also made a big impact on Walter Scott who wrote -- "she had a talent for describing the involvements and feelings and characters of ord ...more
Laura Verret
Jan 08, 2013 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-sale
Jane Austen. The name which, over the last few centuries, has been synonymous with the ideal romance novel. The name which has been adored by a gaggle of Darcy-stricken females. The name which has been equally detested by those who consider themselves to be above the trivialities depicted in her writings. The name of a woman who, although she never married herself, has nevertheless preached a philosophy of love to her millions of readers. The name of an author.

A remarkable woman, Jane Austen. A
Kathryn
Oct 06, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Found this at my local Barnes & Noble. It’s a collection of snippets from Austen’s books, unpublished works, and letters, and topics ranging from history to balls to marriage (naturally). I really enjoyed getting some insight into Austen, who had a wicked sense of humor and an excellent ear for language. I just wish that the book had had more extracts from her letters and unpublished works and fewer from her six completed books. I’ve read and reread those, to the point at which reading just ...more
Sophia
Do you ever have the urge to quote someone and you can remember a portion, but not enough? This happens to me all the time because I have a memory like a sieve and I particular get irked when it happens with Jane Austen my favorite Author. I know there are tools to remedy this weakness, but I just hadn't availed myself of them yet until I received this one.

Personally, I think it was worth it for the introduction alone with its nice long, but simple piece about Jane Austen's life. The quotes are
Kat
Apr 13, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Austen quotes fanatics
This book is broken down into chapters, e.g., history, balls, fashion, marriage, finance, family. Enright introduces each chapter with some information on that subject. She also gives bits of history about Austen's life to help the reader understand where Austen was coming from. I recognized many quotes while reading, either from her novels or some of her personal letters which I'd found particularly funny. I learned new things from this book too. For instance, Ralph Waldo Emerson (who I used to ...more
Fergie
Nov 12, 2010 Fergie rated it really liked it
A "must read" for any Austen fan. This compilation gathers personal letters as well as excerpts from Jane Austen novels. I would have enjoyed seeing more taken from my favorite Austen novel, "Sense & Sensibility". It was clear that Enright was a big fan of Austen's most famous work, "Pride & Prejudice", choosing to use lines from that book more than any other. With that being said, there is an enjoyment in reading Austen's acerbic wit which has been rarely been found since. For this reas ...more
Hannah
Jun 22, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This book is nothing more than a collection of quotes and excerpts from Jane Austen's various writings, whether they be from her highly acclaimed novels or her intimate letters with her best friend, her sister Cassandra. It matters not where they're taken from, though, because they're all written with wit, irony, observance, and sometimes such a dead-pan sense of humor that I laughed out loud.

Jane Austen died too young; she was a good aunt, a good sister, a good observer of people, and a good a
Denise
Mar 14, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: other
This was a fun book - a collection of quotes from Jane Austen, from her novels, stories, and letters, organized into topics. Some of the quotes are revealing, some are profound, and some are hilarious. I also enjoyed the illustrations at the beginning of each topic section, showing the fashions of the day, I believe as illustrations of scenes in Austen's works. It was an easy, quick, enjoyable read, and a book that can often be referred to or opened at random.
Karin
Aug 02, 2011 Karin rated it really liked it
she was certainly opinonated and had a sense of humor
Jo
Jan 03, 2009 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was mainly interested in reading this for the little tidbits from letters Jane wrote to her sister Cassandra. Oh Jane, I wish we could have been friends.
Rosie Uebel
Jan 05, 2014 Rosie Uebel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-austen
Jane Austen at her funniest. I'm an Austen fanatic & it had a few quotes of hers I hadn't seen published before.
Mandy
Jan 14, 2009 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
I really enjoyed reading this. Learned some things about Jane Austen I didn't know and was saddened and inspired by her once again!
Sophie
Mar 31, 2012 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful selection of quotes arranged into fitting categories! It was nice to have a lot of Austen's best quotes put into categories and in one books easy to hand :)
Koolmom84
Jul 05, 2009 Koolmom84 rated it it was amazing
I love Jane Austen's stories and like this book filled with comments from her and about her life.
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2009
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2011
Erin Boyington
Erin Boyington rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Anissa Hanson-Vis
Anissa Hanson-Vis rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2011
Antoinette
Antoinette rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS.
DUONGBAONGOCANGELBABYBOOTS. rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Jocelyn Bennion
Jocelyn Bennion rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Missy
Missy rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2008
Navah Kennedy
Navah Kennedy rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Maria Bergman
Maria Bergman rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Charlotte Rose
Charlotte Rose rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...