Start by marking “A Haiku Menagerie: Living Creatures in Poems and Prints” as Want to Read:
A Haiku Menagerie: Living Creatures in Poems and Prints

A Haiku Menagerie: Living Creatures in Poems and Prints

A furry, feathery, and scaly menagerie of creatures large and small captured in over forty-eight paintings and one hundered twenty haiku--with the delicacy, charm, and wisdom of the best of Japanese literature and art.
Published October 1st 1992 by Weatherhill

To ask other readers questions about A Haiku Menagerie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Haiku Menagerie

Jessaka
Sep 08, 2016 Jessaka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
What a great find at a yard sale. The book is in perfect condition and its wood block prints are just beautiful. It is a book to protect.

I like how the author gives an introduction into writing Haiku and then a history on woodcutting. The poems are by various artists, many of whom I had ever heard of before, and the poems have woodcut photos behind them. The end of the book has a list of the artists and a short biography of each, as well as a list of the poets and their short biographies.

I have
Joshua Gage
Aug 05, 2015 Joshua Gage rated it really liked it
Shelves: haiku, poetry
This is a beautiful book of haiku with some gorgeous prints. My only issue with it was that the translations were overly wordy and a bit clunky at times. Still, the pairing of haiku and art works well.
Thomasin
Feb 13, 2011 Thomasin rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Simply lovely.

There's a detailed intro about the history of haiku as well as the history of wood prints (the illustrations/art), and then the rest of the book is filled with charming animal poems and wonderful pictures. I read it aloud to my daughter (age 2) and she enjoyed it nearly as much as I.

One of my favorite poems:

The cuckoo
with a single call
has established summer

~Ryota

(Don't I long for a bit of summer, here in Wisconsin in February!)
Jul 17, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I love haiku. I like to teach them and write them and read them. This sweet volume was given to me by my friend Yvonne as she prepared to move. It has wonderful Japanese woodblock art of animals beside the poems. The haiku are about animals and they are divided into swimmers, walkers,crawlers and fliers. So there are poems about warblers,snails and trout. I like this book. It is great for a quick shot of beauty in a busy day. I will keep it by my side!
Nicola Turner
Apr 20, 2008 Nicola Turner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers and teachers of poetry
Shelves: poetry
This is a beautiful collection of traditional haiku written by Japenese masters and accompanied by woodblock prints. It gives a brief history of haiku and waka (5-7-5-7-7) in Japanese culture. Each poem is accompanied by the original in Japanese. At the back of the book there is a short biography of each poet and artist.
Ben Moeller-Gaa
Jan 26, 2013 Ben Moeller-Gaa rated it really liked it
Another fine book in this series. A must for any haiku collection and perfect for lovers of animals and Japanese woodblock art. I especially like seeing the poems in both English and Japanese.
Doris Pearson
Apr 10, 2015 Doris Pearson rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Natalie Zinsser
Natalie Zinsser marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Raven
Raven rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Horst Finkbeiner
Horst Finkbeiner rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Tetcho
Tetcho rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Mrs C. Doolan
Mrs C. Doolan rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
J.D.
J.D. marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
LillyAnn
LillyAnn marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Jenna
Jenna added it
Aug 03, 2015
Kevin Trammel
Kevin Trammel rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
TM
TM added it
May 10, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Laura rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2015
Bek
Bek marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Anna Regal
Anna Regal marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014