Start by marking “Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share, and Teach Haiku” as Want to Read:
Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share, and Teach Haiku

Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share, and Teach Haiku

"The Haiku Handbook" is the first book to give the reader everything needed to begin writing or teaching haiku. It presents haiku poets writing in English, Spanish, French, German, and five other languages on an equal footing with Japanese poets. Not only are the four great Japanese masters of the haiku represented (Basho, Buson, Issa, and Shiki) but also several major Wes ...more
Published March 15th 1992 by Kodansha (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Haiku Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haiku Handbook

Japanese Death Poems by Yoel HoffmannThe Haiku Anthology by Cor van den HeuvelBook of Haikus by Jack KerouacThe Essential Haiku by Robert HassHaiku, Volume 1 by R.H. Blyth
Introduction to Haiku
6th out of 25 books — 13 voters
Resurrection Party by Michalle GouldHow We Became Human by Joy HarjoThe Woman Who Fell from the Sky by Joy HarjoShe Had Some Horses by Joy HarjoCrazy Brave by Joy Harjo
Reading List for ENG 230 Spring 2016
19th out of 27 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bryson
Apr 13, 2009 Bryson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haiku
A very good book, and I think a lot of people out there would say this is the introduction to haiku for English speakers.

Higginson passed away about four or five months after I began to read and write haiku. I'd seen The Haiku Handbook around at various haiku meetings, had seen it quoted on some different websites and blogs, and it eventually became one of those books with which I had a peripheral, if not personal relationship.

I believe I got a copy of this book about three or so weeks before Hi
Oleg Kagan
Jan 31, 2010 Oleg Kagan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haiku
William J. Higginson's "Haiku Handbook" is a must-own for every haiku enthusiast. His survey of haiku development and history both in Japan and various areas in the West (read: not just North America) is a top-notch introduction. The haiku/senryu he uses as examples and explicates throughout the book are truly excellent choices and serve their purpose. Penny Harter's chapter on teaching haiku was so useful that I felt the need to acknowledge using her ideas at a haiku workshop I gave recently. F ...more
Nissa Annakindt
Jun 09, 2015 Nissa Annakindt rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, haiku
When I read this book for the first time I wished that every school teacher that decides to do a haiku-writing lesson would read this book first. Haiku is more than just counting syllables!

This book goes into the traditions of haiku at great length and enables a serious student to understand what a haiku actually is, and how to tell a good one from a second-rate one.

For poets who'd like to try writing haiku, this book gives an overwhelming amount of information. I'd recommend going slow and read
Bernie Gourley
Nov 11, 2015 Bernie Gourley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many people think that a haiku is any poem of three lines consisting of 5, 7, and 5 syllables, respectively. Those who’ve gotten beyond a high school literature class introduction to the form may also know that these poems are usually observations of the nature world, and, specifically, the seasons. If the preceding sentences sum up haiku for you, but you’re interested in learning more, Higginson’s book will revolutionize your understanding of the art.

As it happens, the most fundamental notions
Joolissa
This was a very nice book on Haiku and is definitely a must read/own for anyone serious about writing haiku. It has great information on the history, haiku poets, writing haiku in English, etc. It does get a bit esoteric at times You do have to keep in mind that it was written in 1985, so it does feel dated when he talks about technology, how people can share haiku, and any of the "current" resources (such as magazines and publications) may very well not be available anymore. Also, the teaching ...more
Joanna
Feb 14, 2013 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, haiku
Great introduction the art and craft of haiku, and the philosophy or way of looking at the world that lies behind it. I was a bit frustrated that there wasn't more on approaches to writing haiku - or more I could get a handle on anyway - and in some ways the more I was learning the more I wanted to write, and the more frustrated I got! But the handbook was a beautiful introduction and invitation to the reading of haiku, and the addition of haiku to my poetry reading habits is one of the gifts I ...more
Jodi Tooke
Dec 07, 2015 Jodi Tooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview that captures essence of creating haiku. It's so much more than the 5-7-5 they taught in school.
Linda
Jan 30, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-stuff
A good background on origin of haiku, related poetry styles, history of it in Japan and rest of the world, rules and guidance on how to write. I read the original edit in which has some sections that may be less necessary in the Internet age, as one can google resources like where to publish and such.
Nate Davis
Feb 15, 2008 Nate Davis rated it it was amazing
The haiku handbook is one of the few excellent texts on haiku in English, covering the history of its traditional forms and abstraction away from earlier, longer poetry styles, the modern Western movement of haiku, and many technical chapters that find a good middle ground between the free musicality of haiku and its coherence as a form. The poems are well-chosen and give good context to the history and forms surrounding and related to haiku (for example, the imagist poems of Ezra Pound).

Highly
Elaine Bearden
Mar 08, 2015 Elaine Bearden marked it as to-read
looks really interesting to read - maybe some ideas for write on
John
Feb 22, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Good academic book that covers the history and nuances about what makes a haiku a haiku.
Rob Welch
Apr 13, 2011 Rob Welch rated it really liked it
This book was a very good look at Haiku, it's history, importance to Japanese culture, and transposition into other languages. It was a bit dry at time, (which isn't totally unexpected), but contained much valuable information.

One of the most crucial components is his suggested "Traditional Form" for haikus written in English, shedding the grammar-school 5-7-5 form.

Anyone interested in reading, writing, or teaching Haiku should read this book.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Aug 13, 2012 Sheri Fresonke Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writingpoetry
Who could possible imagine that there would be some much to know about Haiku. This book covers the Four Masters of Japanese Haiku, the tradition of haiku, and haiku examples from around the world, including modern selections. It covers what makes a good haiku including the use of seasons in the poem. It also describes how to teach haiku. It's a great reference.
sisterimapoet
Jan 16, 2009 sisterimapoet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction09
A long overdue read. I've had this on my shelf for almost 10 years, and I wished I'd read it sooner.

But still very useful. Lots of tips useful for beginners or experts. I doubt there is any haiku writer or reader who wouldn't gain something from this book.

A generous and welcoming style throughout. Also packed with great examples of the poetry in question.
Gabrielle
Dec 01, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great intro and handbook for Haiku enthusiast and newcomer alike. It may not be a complete/how-to book that teaches you the overall aspect or technicality of a haiku, but of history, philosophy, the basics and the true poetic knowledge. This will be a go to book for me.
Sorobai
Jan 01, 2016 Sorobai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
This is a great book. Not only a nice introduction to the world of japanese haiku poetry but with a troughtfull aproach to the differences in haiku in the east and the west. Only flaw is there is not a single reference to haiku in portuguese.
Paula
Feb 05, 2011 Paula rated it it was amazing
Leslie
Aug 21, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very thorough history of the haiku poem form including Japanese (with english translation) of the "masters". Very interesting. Very informative. Writing Haiku is something I'd like to do when I have time to think!!!
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
This is an excellant 'what' about Haiku and its variations. There is a little of the how,but it jumps arond. If you are looking into the history and progress ok this form of poem, this is a start.
Allan
I enjoyed reading this thorough and complete guide in English to the world haiku . YMMV It seemed along time for me to finish with this , whatever . ..
Ruthpaget
Aug 23, 2009 Ruthpaget rated it really liked it
The definitive work on the topic. It shares examples from many languages and provides the best models from Japan in Japanese and in translation. It makes teaching this form easy.
Christina
Dec 02, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bible on this subject, it was recommended to me years ago by the editor of *Frogpond*. It is my privilege to enthusiastically pass on the recommendation.
Tara Betts
Aug 17, 2007 Tara Betts added it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in haiku
I should reread this, but I think it's very helpful and very sound in terms of understanding the craft of haiku. This one and Bruce Ross' book "How-To Haiku."
John
Jul 16, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
More teachers need to read this book! We have been guilty of teaching the structure rather than the spirit.
Kana
Summary
Virtual Summer in Japan - 2013 School Virtual Reality Project Reading List.
Oct 30, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Am I the only person on the planet who wants to throw a drunken Haiku party???
Jessaka
May 06, 2015 Jessaka rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a book that you just reread in order to get the lessons.
Alohadudenyc
Mar 17, 2009 Alohadudenyc rated it it was amazing
a great resource for those interested in writing or reading haiku.
Tomas
May 09, 2007 Tomas is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Poets
Great background information on where Haiku came from.
Shamma
Feb 17, 2013 Shamma rated it it was amazing
what?
  • The Haiku Anthology:  Haiku And Senryu In English
  • The Essential Haiku: Versions of Basho, Buson, and Issa
  • The Classic Tradition of Haiku: An Anthology
  • Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart
  • Haiku in English: The First Hundred Years
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • Japanese Death Poems: Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death
  • Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry