Start by marking “Favorite Poems Old and New” as Want to Read:
Favorite Poems Old and New

Favorite Poems Old and New

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
This is a collection of over seven hundred classic and modern poems grouped by children's interests, such as pets, playtime, family, nature, and others.
Published October 1st 1957 by Doubleday Books (first published September 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Poems Old and New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Poems Old and New

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinA Single Shard by Linda Sue ParkThe Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGrawThe Second Mrs. Gioconda by E.L. KonigsburgThe Shakespeare Stealer by Gary L. Blackwood
6th Grade Read Alouds
13th out of 14 books — 18 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Amazing books for gr. 6's
33rd out of 96 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

emma
Favorite Poems: Old & New is a poetry anthology including over 700 poems of various lengths. There is a vague daunting aspect to the book, as you hold the volume in your hands, however as you open it up, that fades away. This book is carefully divided into eighteen categories. This allows a reader that desires to read a poem about traveling, birds, humor, or fantasy to turn to the section. In addition, each poem is of very manageable length, varying from several lines to a page. There is so ...more
Gretchen
I have my grandmother's copy of this book, from the first printing in 1957. The binding is coming apart and the corners are beaten, which makes it even more grand. It falls open to pages of favorite poems, such as The Walrus and The Carpenter, A Tragic Story (by Albert Von Chamisso, translated by William Makepeace Thackeray, this is one of my all-time favorite children's poems; so deadpan funny), The Listeners, The Spider and The Fly (which my grandmother used to read to us) and O Captain! My Ca ...more
Ron
Sep 07, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
I remember this book from Monte Vista Elementary School in Albuquerque, New Mexico. 1957 or 1958, I can't remember when I first discovered this book in the school library. (It was first published in 1957, I know I found a copy of my own, many years later.). I remember checking it out over and over again, so many times, my teacher had to stop me, and told me to find something else to read. It's a great book of poems. A few years ago I bought a newer copy of the same book, but I find myself going ...more
Chuck
Sep 25, 2015 Chuck rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Nice collection for browsing, and kids won't outgrow it, but some bad editorial decisions like standardizing Blake's spelling and Dickinson's orthography (the latter might simply have been accepted practice when this was first published) and trimming some poems.
Jessie Jang
Apr 01, 2014 Jessie Jang rated it really liked it
Everybody Says
This poem relates to me because every has told me that I looked like my mom. I like the rhyme scheme of the poem. I liked the poem because it reminds me of my childhood.
Learning Experience
Ask the children if they heard that they look like someone
Ruby
Jun 08, 2014 Ruby rated it it was amazing
I grew up on this book of poetry. The Barefoot Boy should be read by every child and adult. The Village Blacksmith was recited by memory from my great grandfather whenever I would visit. America must never forget it's lessons.
Michael Fitzgerald
May 27, 2016 Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the best single volume. A wonderful anthology made even better with a personal foreword and lovely section illustrations by Weisgard - I had never seen his pen-and-ink work, which is outstanding.
Apr 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers and their kids
Shelves: poetry
Last time I visited my parents my Dad said, "You left a book here that your grandmother gave you". Not recalling my grandmother giving me any books recently I was puzzled. I opened it up and read "To Jennifer Marie, August 1979". I guess it had been "burning a hole" on my Dad's bookshelf. While flipping through it I was flooded with happy memories of furtively reading poetry in my room when I was supposed to be sleeping. I brought it home and started reading it to my 2 year old son. I had to smi ...more
Danielle
Jun 21, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
We all look forward to hearing 2-4 poems each day. It has a calming effect on my students ;-)

We didn't quite finish the entire book, but if the few poems we missed were anything like the many, many we did read, this book is truly an amazing collection of poems. Covering a wide variety of topics, the kids were always curious what the new day of poetry would bring. This has been our favorite of the 3 collections we've read together as a family.
Carole
Feb 16, 2016 Carole rated it did not like it
My son and I were reading this poetry book and discussing the poems as part of his homeschool curriculum. Honestly we stopped use this as part of our curriculum. Every once in a while we'd come across a poem we both enjoyed but they were few and far between. We were both bored and frankly just couldn't continue with this book.
Melissa
Feb 02, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I received this anthology of poetry through book club membership when I was about 7. I remember receiving the book on a hot summer day in Texas. I remember having a quilt under the a/c in the dining room window and I laid there all afternoon reading the poems in this book. I was utterly entranced. Still have the book even though it is held together with packing tape -- still love the book as if it didn't have packing tape on it at all.
Michael
Jun 05, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Every Tuesday in 4th grade I had to recite a poem. At the time all I wanted to do was play football. This exercise opened my eyes to a more beautiful world and hobby. This was the book I took down from my teacher's shelf and where i first cast my anchor as a lover of poetry. My 4th Grade teacher recently gave this book to me as a gift, she is still a friend of mine. It brings back a lot of memories
Terri Lynn
Jul 06, 2011 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
I bought this book as a homeschooling mom and we have thoroughly enjoyed reading it over and over. One of the best things about poetry books is that you are never fully done with them. It is easy to dip in and read a poem here and there without feeling obligated to read the entire book to do so. The poems here are enjoyable and this book has become a well-loved friend of the family.
Shauna
Feb 05, 2008 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-have
This is a FABULOUS poem book . . .and I love children's poetry, especially anthologies. This is not illustrated, but the poems are great. It is divided into seasons and we read from the seasons during the seasons. If I don't have time to read individually, I read a couple of poems to each of the kids at night, or squeeze in a couple during the day. This is a MUST HAVE for every home!
Lauren
Dec 11, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
I read through this collection and loved it as a child. I still enjoy going back through and re-reading old favorites like Jabberwocky and Excelsior. It introduced me to a variety of formerly unknown poets. I like how it is seperated into different topics. A very good and interesting collection of poetry, suitable for children and adults alike.
Debra Parmley
I have a much used 1957 copy of this book which my grandmother used to read to me before I was in school. It's a wonderful selection of poems I have loved since I was a child. Some of these poems I still go back and read today. Many of them I memorized as a child and still remember.
Alice
Jan 30, 2010 Alice rated it really liked it
Great to have on the shelf for the my girls. A quality compendium of poetry and very nicely organized by theme. A must have for parents interested in raising their childrens' literacy above Captain Underpants.
Sophia
Mar 07, 2015 Sophia rated it liked it
A varied collection of poetry, both classic and fairly modern. There are some good ones, and some that I grew bored with and skipped over. It's worth looking through if it is in your possession.
Nancy Jensen
Oct 11, 2007 Nancy Jensen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My dad read from this book to me when I was growing up and it gave me a love for words, picturing things in my head, and the joy of great storytelling. I read it to my children for the same effect!
Alec Longstreth
Mar 14, 2015 Alec Longstreth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is the most enjoyable anthology of poetry I have read thus far. It is packed with tons of great poems from cover to cover. I look forward to delving into it again in the future.
Melissa
Nov 21, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
I love this collection of poetry. My mom used to read to me from it and we all had our favorites. I loved Jabberwocky and The Highway Man.
April
Sep 27, 2008 April rated it liked it
This was one of my first real books growing up. I loved getting to read all of the great poetry and have revisited this many times since.
Arlene S
poetry anthology (1957), children's literature with some adult standards, i.e. "Casey at the Bat", etc.
Anne Camille
a favorite book from my childhood.http://openlibrary.org/books/OL232709...
Heather
Jan 24, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is the best anthology of poetry for children and their families that I have yet found.
Toni
Aug 03, 2008 Toni rated it really liked it
if you enjoying reading poetry to your kids, this is one resource you should put on your bookshelf.
Ria
Dec 01, 2011 Ria rated it liked it
Shelves:
This is just a collection of short poems (not my favorite kind of book), but it's okay.
Bree
great for copywork
tons of variety
Randy Evans
Nov 03, 2013 Randy Evans rated it liked it
A nice collection for middle school and younger.
Teri
Jan 07, 2010 Teri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Love this poetry book--so do my kids.
  • Master Cornhill
  • Flame Over Tara
  • The Trojan War
  • Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4)
  • The Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • Archimedes & the Door of Science
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • A Child's Introduction to Poetry: Listen While You Learn about the Magic Words That Have Moved Mountains, Won Battles and Made Us Laugh and Cry
  • A Child's History of the World
  • Teresa of Calcutta: Serving the Poorest of the Poor
Although Helen Josephine Ferris was born in Hastings, Nebraska, in 1890, her roots reach back to Wisconsin. Her mother, Minnie Lunn Ferris was born in Marshall, growing up in Waterloo. Her father, Elmer, was a Baptist minister who was born in Seven Mile Creek and grew up there and in Fond du Lac. Both of her parents attended Wayland Academy in Beaver Dam. Between 1901-04, the Ferris family lived i ...more
More about Helen Josephine Ferris...