Start by marking “Favorite Poems Old and New” as Want to Read:
Favorite Poems Old and New

Favorite Poems Old and New

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This is a collection of over seven hundred classic and modern poems grouped by children's interests, such as pets, playtime, family, nature, and others.
Published October 1st 1957 by Doubleday Books (first published September 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Poems Old and New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Poems Old and New

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinA Single Shard by Linda Sue ParkThe Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary SutcliffThe Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGrawThe Second Mrs. Gioconda by E.L. Konigsburg
6th Grade Read Alouds
12th out of 14 books — 15 voters
The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingAmong the Hidden by Margaret Peterson HaddixGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Amazing books for gr. 6's
29th out of 96 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Ron
I remember this book from Monte Vista Elementary School in Albuquerque, New Mexico. 1957 or 1958, I can't remember when I first discovered this book in the school library. (It was first published in 1957, I know I found a copy of my own, many years later.). I remember checking it out over and over again, so many times, my teacher had to stop me, and told me to find something else to read. It's a great book of poems. A few years ago I bought a newer copy of the same book, but I find myself going ...more
Jessie Jang
Everybody Says
This poem relates to me because every has told me that I looked like my mom. I like the rhyme scheme of the poem. I liked the poem because it reminds me of my childhood.
Learning Experience
Ask the children if they heard that they look like someone
Ruby
I grew up on this book of poetry. The Barefoot Boy should be read by every child and adult. The Village Blacksmith was recited by memory from my great grandfather whenever I would visit. America must never forget it's lessons.
Apr 18, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers and their kids
Shelves: poetry
Last time I visited my parents my Dad said, "You left a book here that your grandmother gave you". Not recalling my grandmother giving me any books recently I was puzzled. I opened it up and read "To Jennifer Marie, August 1979". I guess it had been "burning a hole" on my Dad's bookshelf. While flipping through it I was flooded with happy memories of furtively reading poetry in my room when I was supposed to be sleeping. I brought it home and started reading it to my 2 year old son. I had to smi ...more
Danielle
We all look forward to hearing 2-4 poems each day. It has a calming effect on my students ;-)

We didn't quite finish the entire book, but if the few poems we missed were anything like the many, many we did read, this book is truly an amazing collection of poems. Covering a wide variety of topics, the kids were always curious what the new day of poetry would bring. This has been our favorite of the 3 collections we've read together as a family.
Melissa
I received this anthology of poetry through book club membership when I was about 7. I remember receiving the book on a hot summer day in Texas. I remember having a quilt under the a/c in the dining room window and I laid there all afternoon reading the poems in this book. I was utterly entranced. Still have the book even though it is held together with packing tape -- still love the book as if it didn't have packing tape on it at all.
Terri Lynn
I bought this book as a homeschooling mom and we have thoroughly enjoyed reading it over and over. One of the best things about poetry books is that you are never fully done with them. It is easy to dip in and read a poem here and there without feeling obligated to read the entire book to do so. The poems here are enjoyable and this book has become a well-loved friend of the family.
Shauna
This is a FABULOUS poem book . . .and I love children's poetry, especially anthologies. This is not illustrated, but the poems are great. It is divided into seasons and we read from the seasons during the seasons. If I don't have time to read individually, I read a couple of poems to each of the kids at night, or squeeze in a couple during the day. This is a MUST HAVE for every home!
Lauren
I read through this collection and loved it as a child. I still enjoy going back through and re-reading old favorites like Jabberwocky and Excelsior. It introduced me to a variety of formerly unknown poets. I like how it is seperated into different topics. A very good and interesting collection of poetry, suitable for children and adults alike.
Alice
Great to have on the shelf for the my girls. A quality compendium of poetry and very nicely organized by theme. A must have for parents interested in raising their childrens' literacy above Captain Underpants.
Nancy Jensen
My dad read from this book to me when I was growing up and it gave me a love for words, picturing things in my head, and the joy of great storytelling. I read it to my children for the same effect!
Melissa
I love this collection of poetry. My mom used to read to me from it and we all had our favorites. I loved Jabberwocky and The Highway Man.
April
This was one of my first real books growing up. I loved getting to read all of the great poetry and have revisited this many times since.
Arwen
Mar 05, 2010 Arwen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Families
An excellent collection of poetry. I enjoy poetry much more when I don't have to write or analyze it for English class.
Anne Camille
a favorite book from my childhood.http://openlibrary.org/books/OL232709...
Heather
This is the best anthology of poetry for children and their families that I have yet found.
Toni
if you enjoying reading poetry to your kids, this is one resource you should put on your bookshelf.
Ria
This is just a collection of short poems (not my favorite kind of book), but it's okay.
Randy Evans
A nice collection for middle school and younger.
Teri
Jan 07, 2010 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Love this poetry book--so do my kids.
Anastasia
its interesting and boring
Meredith
helen ferris, you are sad
Tammy
Great variety of poems.
Janine
If you love poetry or old children's books you must own this. Thank you to my wonderful husband for buying it for me after I found it this summer on the shelves of my childhood library. It was Shakespeare, nursery rhymes, Robert Frost, Robert Louis Stevenson, and A. A. Milne among others.
Cws
May 08, 2008 Cws added it
808.81
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Sheila
Sheila is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
  • Master Cornhill
  • Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4)
  • Poems of G.K. Chesterton
  • In Search of Honor
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • The Donkey's Dream
Juliette Low and the Girl Scouts Producing Amateur Entertainments; Varied Stunts and Other Numbers with Program Plans and Directions