Start by marking “Hardball for Women” as Want to Read:
Hardball for Women

Hardball for Women

In Hardball for Women, Pat Heim shows women how to break patterns of behavior that have put them at a disadvantage in the business world of men. Whether the arena is a law firm, a medical group, a corporation, or any other work environment, Hardball for Women decodes the male business culture and gives readers strategies on how to use its rules to get ahead—and stay ahead. ...more
Paperback, Revised, 352 pages
Published January 25th 2005 by Plume (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hardball for Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardball for Women

Jan 20, 2013 Maria added it
I am not usually a big fan of management or self-help books, but this is a truly fascinating insight into the way the games we play as children shape our minds and our socialisation and how this translates into different behaviours in the workplace.

Might not help me so much in my career, but as a mother of girls it is incredibly insightful and thought-provoking
Oct 02, 2012 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-books
If Deborah Tannen and a solid business coach decided to write a book, this would probably be it. Pat Heim has written a very interesting (and true!) book about how our social conditioning as women continues to hurt us in male-dominated and male-run businesses.

Filled with specific explanations about the differing communication styles in the workplace, Heim teaches women "power strategies" that they can employ in order to play hardball and be successful in their careers.

It's no secret that even
May 28, 2011 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenally helpful in understanding the different ways men and women communicate. It frames the divide as one of culture - men are socialized to hierarchical, goal-directed games which lead them to interpret competition as stimulating and winning as all-important; women are socialized to flat, relationship-oriented play which leads them to view competition as dangerous and getting along with others all-important. As a consequence, women frequently communicate in ways that cause me ...more
Jun 06, 2009 pri rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
very interesting study of the differences between men and women in the workplace and how we are perceived by one another. it definitely made me think a lot about my own reactions and how to modify my behaviors just a little bit to play better in the workplace. one thing - especially - struck me. the idea that men can battle heavily on the field and then grab a beer afterward. that idea of - it isn't personal. there are no hard feelings.

i think that this book must have been a total eye opener 10
Jan 31, 2008 Joy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any business woman
Hardball for women is not a male bashing book at all. the author describes gender differences arising from our upbringing.
The author is in the healthcare field, which made the stores relate to my understanding as well.

For example, girls play dolls. boys play football. the goal in dolls is to be friends at the end of the day - it's the process that's important. you cannot "win" dolls. the goal in football is to score. the process really isnt important. taking the same dolls and football analogy
Tomás Engle
Aug 01, 2016 Tomás Engle rated it it was amazing
Great read into how differently the two genders communicate, interact and build social organizations/hierarchies, and how miscommunication between them can cause frustration and even cost promotions.

Highly recommend for anyone looking to go into the business world or is already in it but confused about "the game" taking place around them. This book not only clues you in to that it's being played at all, but why it exists and how to excel within it.

Despite the title, Dr. Pat Heim wrote this book
Jun 24, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Working women
I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this book at first. To be sure, some of the advice is way outdated (was published in 1992), such as the absolute pronouncement against women wearing pants at work. There was no mention of email or the internet, either, which was oddly funny to me.

Overall, though, I think Heim did a bang-up job of explaining the differences between women and men at work and how those differences came about. While I the reliance on childhood games (ie sports-related ga
Apr 10, 2014 Shannon rated it it was ok
This book offered some helpful strategies for women in achieving success in the business world. The edition I read was last revised in the 1990s and I thought quite a bit of it was outdated. Also, it was a somewhat disheartening to read, given all the examples of how women could be/are seen as weaker or less effective in the workplace. However, overall it was a decent read and I found some chapters helpful
Nada  Abandah
I first bought this book at the beginning of my solo-career thinking that it would offer me a valuable advice on what needs to be done, and how to do it! I'm Majorly disappointed as it just went on venting about how hard women gets it in work environments without offering any real or usable strategies of how to overcome it. or at least deal with it.
Jul 06, 2013 Jannetf rated it it was amazing
The best book about how to grow and understand the non-verbal language on business. Not only ideal for women, bit also for men working with women. It is not the typical feminist book that tells you to act as a guy in order to be successful in business as a woman. It goes very deep in how and why certain attitudes work for women that want to be on the top level.
Jan 04, 2016 Jay rated it it was ok
Some of the views are very outdated. The business world is advancing so fast and flat organisational structures are becoming the norm. Females do still have to work twice as hard but the idea of outright hierarchy is slowly dissipating
May 15, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I read an earlier edition of this book many years ago. I always recommend it to women starting out in male-dominated fields. Great discussion of the differences in the ways males and females are socialized and what that means in the workplace.
Natalee Gregory
Aug 24, 2014 Natalee Gregory rated it really liked it
This book contains some very interesting concepts, although some of them I believe are a little outdated. Worth the read though.
May 18, 2013 Eamon marked it as to-read
I registered a book at!
Aug 15, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A great read for women who would like some perspective on how habits and mannerisms from traditional female upbringing are perceived, and how they affect business communications and opportunities.
Mar 06, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
For all women in any field- read this book, and then read it again. These are the lessons that no one seems to teach us along the way.
Mis Tré
Nov 07, 2015 Mis Tré rated it it was ok
When I read these "women in business books" I thought there were important. Almost 10 years later I find them insulting. Though I suppose they were a necessary step to get me where I am today.
Aug 30, 2014 EKett rated it it was ok
straightforward...but nothing I hadn't already heard prior; wanted more "hardball" suggestions, especially to deal with difficult hierarchal issues
Jun 16, 2008 Krysia rated it it was amazing
It will be right there on the shelf with Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office 101 so I can refer to it when I need to.
Janis Mackichan
Apr 12, 2014 Janis Mackichan rated it liked it
Just don't agree we have to act like men in the workplace. Helped to understand how and men do what they do though.
Stephanie rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Jul 09, 2013 Celia rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Amanda Cull
Amanda Cull rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Independentbelle rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Duran rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Kristina Arntz
Kristina Arntz rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
AliasDebraBrown rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Emily rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Seongmin Park
Seongmin Park rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Secret Handshake: Mastering the Politics of the Business Inner Circle
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Why Good Girls Don't Get Ahead... But Gutsy Girls Do: Nine Secrets Every Working Woman Must Know
  • How To Say It for Women
  • Survival of the Savvy: High-Integrity Political Tactics for Career and Company Success
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • Decision Traps: The Ten Barriers to Decision-Making and How to Overcome Them
  • What Is God?
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework
  • Coach Yourself to Success Coach Yourself to Success: 101 Tips to Accomplish Your Personal and Professional Goals
  • Games Mother Never Taught You
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators
  • Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work
  • Her Place at the Table: A Woman's Guide to Negotiating Five Key Challenges to Leadership Success
  • A Medieval Life: Cecilia Penifader of Brigstock, c. 1295-1344