Start by marking “Are There Closets in Heaven?: A Catholic Father and Lesbian Daughter Share their Story” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It's always difficult for a child to tell her parents she is gay, regardless of how liberal or conservative her family might be. When the daughter is part of a devout Catholic family living in a small rural community, the parent-child relationship is exposed to even greater risk, often beyond repair. A revealing first-person dialogue between a lesbian daughter, who had alw ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Syren Book Company (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Are There Closets in Heaven?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are There Closets in Heaven?

Lacey Louwagie
Sep 06, 2008 Lacey Louwagie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle aged, small towners who don't want to be small-minded
Recommended to Lacey by: Some Progressive Catholic newsletter
Shelves: memoir
I had expected this memoir to be based more on letters than it actually was; the review that got me interested in the memoir made it sound as though we'd see Carol and her father reconcile their Catholicism and Carol's lesbianism through years of working it out on paper. Carol's "coming out" letter does start the memoir, but after that it's essentially an account of a family going through the grieving and healing process that goes along with coming out. The fact that the Catholic church's stance ...more
Angélique
While I appreciated this book, I felt that it left a lot to be desired. I came into this expecting an in-depth look at a father's journey to reconcile his Catholicism with having a lesbian daughter and a lesbian's journey to reconcile her sexuality with the Catholicism of her parents, but that faith-centered reconciliation process was hardly discussed at all. When it became clear that this was not where the book was headed despite the title, I sought solace from the fact this would be a poignant ...more
Paul Kaefer
This was a terrific book. It took me maybe two hours to finish. It was well-written and easy to read.

I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone. Especially to Christians who are unfamiliar, confused, or do not know much about LGBT people.

This is also a great book for parents. While the journey to accept gay children may be difficult and not without challenges, this parents-child story can be a role model for parents of people in the LGBT community.
Maggie Anaya
Essentially it's a coming out story and not a very interesting one.
Continualknowledge
It's one of those books that's not bad but not that great either. It told their families story with coming to terms with a lesbian daughter and takes us through their assessment of the situation from both the father and daughter's view point. It was good to see that and find out how they went about it and their emotions behind it. But I've read tons of books like this and it didn't really add anything new to the stories out. Not a waste of time but you can find better books.
Dana
What a great book! This book was co-written by a father/daughter team and discussed what it is like having a deep Catholic heritage in a rural farming town, and then learning that you / your daughter is a lesbian. It talks about the struggles each went through on this journey, attempting to reconcile their deep Catholic beleifs with their new reality. It is such a wonderful story of hope and acceptance! I highly recommend it!
April Barber
This was a really good book. I read it in two days, only stopping to sleep. The only problem I had with it, is that some of the chapters were very similar to other chapters, one told by the father and one told by the daughter. Usually though, the chapters were different accounts and really different from each other.
I really enjoyed this book.
Zach
Are There Closets in Heaven is a nice, easy read peppered with very poignant, inspiring moments. I don't feel like I got the full effect of the book because I don't consider myself part of the target audience, but it'd be exceptionally valuable to any individuals going through a similar struggle to that of Carol and her father.
Louise
A father and daughter relate honestly about their journey to wholeness. Susan's writing about the legal hurdles she and her partner had to face as adoptive parents, ownership of property, and health benefits was very helpful in understanding the proposed legislation in many states.
Laura5
This is a really good and important story, but it is not a well written book. As I read I imagined that the author was just a person or friend telling me her story, and that made me enjoy it much more.
Jaimadrienne
This was a great book about accepting homosexuality from a Catholic perspective. I worked with the author Carol Curoe for a time. She's an awesome person.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014