Start by marking “Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  468 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Quietly and steadily, the number of women making six figures or more is increasing and continues to rise at a rate faster than for men. From entrepreneurs to corporate executives, from white-collar professionals to freelancers and part-timers, women are forging careers with considerable financial success.

In Secrets of Six-Figure Women, Barbara Stanny, journalist, motivatio
Published March 2nd 2004 by HarperBusiness (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Six-Figure Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Six-Figure Women

Erin
Oct 28, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Good book -- I initially thought I'd just skim it as a quick-and-easy self-help book, but it actually offers a substantial amount of material that prompts self-reflection, as well as useful references to other material.

This book is as much about developing and projecting belief in oneself as it is about earning power, and it's as applicable to men who may also fall into the "under-earner" trap. The author notes that "under-earning" doesn't necessarily mean low-pay but really means earning less
Mary
Mar 01, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, careers
I gave this only 4 stars, instead of 5, because I didn't think it was the best written book I've come across. However, I found the content to be really valuable. This is not the book for the unmotivated woman, however, because success and happiness are derived from your own efforts and there actually isn't a "secret"to anything. The biggest secret is what you are capable of doing.

Early on, I found myself realizing that up to about a year ago I definitely had the mindset of an under earner. But
Ashley
Mar 03, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman
This was a great read! Stanny starts by explaining that more women than ever are becoming high earners chiefly due to the fact that they were absent in the workforce for so long. She next turns to the issue of underearners - women who don't believe or who are unwilling to ask for what they are truly worth. To highlight her point she asks, "How can we ever expect to earn as much as a man if we can't even earn as much as we ourselves are capable of making?" However, there's a raging double standar ...more
Sonya
Dec 17, 2012 Sonya rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Especially when she described the traits of an "underearner." A lot of times, your income doesn't really change until your attitude towards money changes. Once upon a time, I was a compulsive spender... I could have saved but I didn't because I grew up in a household where holding onto money was viewed as somewhat selfish and greedy. My parents spent every nickel and dime to raise 4 girls on less than blue collar salaries. I realized I was doing the same thing. I didn ...more
Niecie Jones
May 23, 2016 Niecie Jones rated it really liked it
Challenged me to suck less with my money. It's a bit too focused on exceptional women without taking cultural, economic, and other environmental factors into account... which definitely affect how much power you have in a situation and how much money you can make.
Brittany (lemondrop)
Cathy Allen
So I was 44 years old and deep in debt when Suze Orman finally got my attention and convinced me that my financial security was my responsibility. Six years later I have savings, a retirement account, and no debt. Thank you Suze.

But it was Barbara Stanny who showed me that the adjustments I needed to make were not all on the expenses side of the ledger... I was a chronic UNDEREARNER... I was not making what I was worth. Worse, I wasn't even trying.

Sometimes people need a kick in the head to do
Bill
Dec 27, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it
There is a certain questionable premise to any self-help book, best encapsulated by Garrison Keillor when he talked about Lake Wobegon as a place where "all the children are above average." The premise here that anyone can earn a lot of money if they simply follow the steps outlined in this book is perhaps, as usual, a little too good to be true.

Nevertheless, I enjoy the occasional self-help book, and this one stands out for a couple of reasons because it is a book explicitly directed at women.
Geraldine Gray
Jul 11, 2013 Geraldine Gray rated it it was amazing
I have read this book and passed it on and bought it (secondhand) for several friend.
It's not about how to make more money and be greedy - it's about how to recognize your worth, increase your confidence and get your career and earnings on track with your "seemingly" more successful peers.
Denician
Jun 05, 2014 Denician rated it it was amazing
Jump off the ledge. If you hate your job and don't believe you are earning your worth, do something about it. Motivating and encouraging. To change your life, you have to change your perspective.
Kristina
Sep 03, 2012 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
Engulfed this book. Motivating, but so hard to see it as being realistic...I sincerely wonder how many of the women interviewed are still "Six-Figure Women" in today's economic climate.
Ela
Feb 05, 2015 Ela rated it it was amazing
Great book. Gives you enormous insight into regaining your own power, becoming a woman who knows how to speak up and ask for what she wants.
Jenn Ash
Feb 01, 2013 Jenn Ash rated it it was amazing
I'm an MBA from a top program and I still found this book helpful. It teaches you how to think and look for support. Good read, I finished in 2 days.
Cori McGraw
May 29, 2015 Cori McGraw rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. This book should be distributed to all women at birth.
Jul 19, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Feel the fear. Have the doubts. Go for it anyway."
LS
Apr 04, 2015 LS rated it did not like it
What a waste of time. I should have known from the easily identifiable marketing tactic of using the word "secrets" that something fishy was going on. I wish I had stuck to my resolution not to read any more "self-help" books. Anyway, to be specific a more apt title for this book would have been the "Ladies Home Journal Secrets of ...." since that is what it reads like. For the first forty percent of the book the author keeps trying to sell us on why money is not bad. Hey if I select a book on t ...more
Amelia
Jul 31, 2015 Amelia rated it really liked it
I try not to read too much of this kind of book these days, but this caught me in just the right mood for a bit of a motivational/cheerleading session as I was walking through the local library last weekend. I don't think it's going to propel me into the upper echelons of earning, but it did inspire some productive-feeling reflection and planning.
Ruth
May 03, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok
Her strategies on negotiation and asking for more were quite helpful, but this book was filled with a lot of fluff. Hoping to find better books out there on financial literacy and improving ones relationship with (and giving up shame around) money
Becki Iverson
Feb 18, 2013 Becki Iverson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It has amazing advice for everyone, not just women, in overcoming the mental blocks that prevent them from realizing their true high earning potential. Stanny's separation of people into two categories - 'underearners' and 'six figure women' - is a clear way to provide contrast between the two, and many of the items she lists as inhibitive are items that every person faces; whether they overcome them or not is up to them.

Secrets of Six Figure Women is provocative,
Sal-vation
Oct 07, 2014 Sal-vation rated it liked it
Pretty good read, but nothing as gender-specific as the title suggests. Work hard, be confident in your hard work, and charge for it. It could have just as easily been "Secrets of Six Figure Salaries."
Chade66
Feb 22, 2016 Chade66 rated it liked it
I read this after reading Overcoming Underearning. Portions of the material was repeated, making this one a pretty fast read.
Lychee
Jun 14, 2010 Lychee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gave me a lot of food for thought wrt my relationship with money and career. Did most of the suggested exercises (primarily in the beginning of the book) and was fascinated by the exercise in finding out what your pay ceiling is. As I imagined earning the various amounts, I was impressed with how my vision of my life changed,especially wrt philanthropy and having a sense of a mission. Will likely read her other books and possibly even re-read this one in the next few years -- not so much for spe ...more
Denise
Oct 21, 2007 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Bought it back when I was making that sort of money, knowing it was going to be short-lived. (I was right.) Gives some good, practical advice -- some of it things that women aren't used to hearing, I'm guessing, even today.

The author's interviews with 6-figure women (and their underearning counterparts) make the advice more human than a simple "how-to" book. They also provide fodder for thinking about balance. There's nothing magical here; everything is a tradeoff. (Not my experience, entirely,
ACT
Jul 14, 2014 ACT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book for women (that men could also learn from) that really makes you question your relationship with money. I really liked the tone of the book; the author researched a lot or subjects (women), talks about commonalities between them, as well as sharing stories from individual women. Occasionally, she offers her own experiences and thoughts on her discoveries, but it's offered in a very genuine and relevant way. I really liked that, given how many finance books try to push their ...more
Cheryl
Jan 31, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
Great book for women to read when wanting to advance in your career.
Irina Collazo
Jan 30, 2013 Irina Collazo rated it it was ok
Shelves: business-books
Unfortunately I couldn't finish reading this book. I wish I paid attention to the publication date before buying, and read a sample on Amazon. It just feels outdated for this day and age.
The material could have been condensed, by a lot. There is too much repetition, I felt like wanting to skip ahead all the time.
There is also too much focus on why some women are afraid, unwilling or uncomfortable to make six figures. Afraid?! That's just crazy.
Krissy Mayse
Jun 10, 2009 Krissy Mayse rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Women
Recommended to Krissy by: Friend, Mary Lee
Shelves: growth
Absolutely LOVED this book. Recommend the concepts here as well as the financial advice and guidelines at the end of the book. Excellent book for any woman - in any field - who knows she could be earning more. The author also offers free coaching as well at www.barbarastanny.com - I've listened in and found the free information very valuable. If you like Dave Ramsey - you will like Barbara Stanny's stuff too.
Carrie Rundhaug
Mar 06, 2013 Carrie Rundhaug rated it really liked it
Overall this was a pretty good book with some useful information. The most important lesson I learned from this book is the fact my attitude is what will make a difference. I am going to start working hard on changing my attitude from this point out. I definitely recommend this books to those who need a little inspiration to make their lives better.
Sascha
Jan 13, 2014 Sascha rated it it was amazing
Helped me get a raise. Informative and interesting due to the story format.
Renee
May 27, 2011 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Every woman who wants to take control of her career and earn what she feels she's worth should read this book. If you don't feel you are earning what you are worth or being respected and valued for your contribution, this is a great book to read to give you the skills and the empowerment to get you the career and the life that you want.
  • Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • How To Say It for Women
  • Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • Nice Girls Don't Get Rich: 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make with Money
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Once Upon a Car
  • The Real Cost of Living: Making the Best Choices for You, Your Life, and Your Money
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
  • Girls on the Verge: Debutante Dips, Drive-bys, and Other Initiations
  • Why Good Girls Don't Get Ahead... But Gutsy Girls Do: Nine Secrets Every Working Woman Must Know

“If I get stuck in who I am now, I will never blossom into who I might yet become. I need to practice the gentle art of letting go. —SAM KEEN, AUTHOR” 2 likes
“Where your intention goes,” Gary Zukav writes in his bestselling book The Seat of the Soul, “so goes you. Your intention becomes your reality.” 1 likes