How To Say It for Women

How To Say It for Women

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
How to Project a powerful image, get your message across, earn the respect you deserve, lead with authority, creativity, and empathy.
Published January 1st 2001 by Prentice Hall Press

Alice
Sep 01, 2010 Alice is currently reading it
Last month I went to teachers' workshop on ideas to use in the teaching various genres to junior high kids. She used this book in some of her examples. It sounded great.

From the forward:

"Nobody listens to women."

While the author at first bristled at that remark, she set out to research the language of women and the language of weakness. She gives practical, usable tips that can help working women gain confidence, respect and success by changing their language.

I'll let you know.

Cici Conger-portie
"From personal experience I can say that the strategies recommended in this book only apply if you are working within a certain range of cultures. Applying these strategies outside of that range can make your situation worse rather than better. My advice: focus on the culture within which you want to be successful and create strategies that will work for you there. It is the culture that will be the deciding factor; whether you are male or female is just sub-component to consider."
Creolecat
There were many good strategies presented that made perfect sense; the use of action verbs, eliminating hedges and tags. However, I did not accept Dr. Mindell’s overall ideology and found a few things unsettling:

1. Dr. Mindell’s goal is to empower women –and I applaud her for that. But her way of empowering us is to belittle us. This route is unacceptable; we are not little girls, so don’t treat us as such to make us stronger;
2. Dr. Mindell repeatedly mentions files she has on male executives wh...more
Leeroylunastitch
Jul 20, 2008 Leeroylunastitch rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Every woman & man
Recommended to Leeroylunastitch by: Me
I found this book at the library when I got my promotion to Creative Director. I thought, Oh boy I'd better get some books out that will help me. I got another business book at the same time, which was useless. This book however was fantastic!!!

Everything in it is extremely relevant and helpful.

I recommend that every woman and man read this one!

I am now going to buy this book on amazon!

Mystique
Jan 17, 2008 Mystique added it Recommends it for: Professional Women
Recommended to Mystique by: My Boss/Professional Book Club
Shelves: womens-interest
Another book that I've read for a professional book club. Well-written.

If I had to summarize it in a sentence, this book is about women speaking succinctly (as it claims men do).

There. I guess the book worked. ;)

It's a good book. I find myself using the principles in my professional life (but certainly not in my private life, where I ramble endlessly).
HeatherT Taylor
May 25, 2008 HeatherT Taylor rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: working women
The author teaches professional women how to modify their language to be more assertive and project a more powerful image. I found her suggestions very useful and practice the techniques every day. I've even started mentoring fellow female co-workers at their request.
Jean
This book offers crystal-clear explanations of what works and what doesn't and why, for both written and spoken communication. There's plenty of great advice for anyone, male or female, who wants to be a better and more effective communicator.
Candice
I am only a few chapters into this book, but I am finding it to be extremely valuable. I have already starting implementing what I have learned. Every woman working in a corporate or business environment should read this book.
Janet
Women communicate differently and it can come across as depowering. The book was helpful in learning how to express myself more effectively, particularly with male, C level audiences.
Cindi Van Meir
I learned a lot about bad habits I have...need a refresher course I think!
Fullfaun
I wished I had read this book 15 years ago.
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Qhama
Qhama marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Lanark
Lanark is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2014
Monder
Monder added it
Jan 25, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Anitha
Anitha marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Ilene Bach
Ilene Bach marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Angie
Angie is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2013
Vfab
Vfab marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Lisa
Lisa added it
Sep 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Woman's Guide to the Language of Success: Communicating with Confidence and Power How to Say It for Executives Power Reading: A Dynamic System for Mastering All Your Business Reading How to Say it for Executives: The Complete Guide to Communication for Leaders How to Say It for Women