Start by marking “How To Say It for Women” as Want to Read:
How To Say It for Women

How To Say It for Women

An expert on professional communications teaches women how to transform themselves by shedding weak phrases, gestures and words, in order to command respect, motivate, establish authority, and make a difference.
Published January 1st 2001 by Prentice Hall Press

To ask other readers questions about How To Say It for Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Say It for Women

Mis Tré
Nov 07, 2015 Mis Tré rated it it was ok
When I read these "women in business books" I thought there were important. Almost 10 years later I find them insulting. Though I suppose they were a necessary step to get me where I am today.
Creolecat
May 22, 2013 Creolecat rated it liked it
There were many good strategies presented that made perfect sense; the use of action verbs, eliminating hedges and tags. However, I did not accept Dr. Mindell’s overall ideology and found a few things unsettling:

1. Dr. Mindell’s goal is to empower women –and I applaud her for that. But her way of empowering us is to belittle us. This route is unacceptable; we are not little girls, so don’t treat us as such to make us stronger;
2. Dr. Mindell repeatedly mentions files she has on male executives wh
Cici Conger-portie
"From personal experience I can say that the strategies recommended in this book only apply if you are working within a certain range of cultures. Applying these strategies outside of that range can make your situation worse rather than better. My advice: focus on the culture within which you want to be successful and create strategies that will work for you there. It is the culture that will be the deciding factor; whether you are male or female is just sub-component to consider."
Alice
Sep 01, 2010 Alice is currently reading it
Last month I went to teachers' workshop on ideas to use in the teaching various genres to junior high kids. She used this book in some of her examples. It sounded great.

From the forward:

"Nobody listens to women."

While the author at first bristled at that remark, she set out to research the language of women and the language of weakness. She gives practical, usable tips that can help working women gain confidence, respect and success by changing their language.

I'll let you know.

HeatherT Taylor
Dec 18, 2007 HeatherT Taylor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: working women
The author teaches professional women how to modify their language to be more assertive and project a more powerful image. I found her suggestions very useful and practice the techniques every day. I've even started mentoring fellow female co-workers at their request.
Janet
Feb 21, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
Women communicate differently and it can come across as depowering. The book was helpful in learning how to express myself more effectively, particularly with male, C level audiences.
Amy
Dec 31, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an interesting book studying the way women present themselves and the many little habits that many of us have that can undermine our ability to effectively communicate in the work place. I don't agree with all of her recommendations, but her observations are spot on. And many of the recommendations are very helpful. It shows the importance of self-expression, confidence, language, and presentation. Overall, a helpful book for young professional women.
Mystique
Jan 17, 2008 Mystique added it
Recommends it for: Professional Women
Recommended to Mystique by: My Boss/Professional Book Club
Shelves: womens-interest
Another book that I've read for a professional book club. Well-written.

If I had to summarize it in a sentence, this book is about women speaking succinctly (as it claims men do).

There. I guess the book worked. ;)

It's a good book. I find myself using the principles in my professional life (but certainly not in my private life, where I ramble endlessly).
Jean
Apr 27, 2011 Jean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book offers crystal-clear explanations of what works and what doesn't and why, for both written and spoken communication. There's plenty of great advice for anyone, male or female, who wants to be a better and more effective communicator.
Candice
Jan 06, 2010 Candice rated it really liked it
I am only a few chapters into this book, but I am finding it to be extremely valuable. I have already starting implementing what I have learned. Every woman working in a corporate or business environment should read this book.
Fullfaun
Sep 12, 2012 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing
I wished I had read this book 15 years ago.
Carie L
Jun 14, 2015 Carie L rated it it was ok
now i don't need to read charlotte's web
Emily Goenner
Emily Goenner rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2015
Marylouise
Marylouise rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Kasey Wang
Kasey Wang rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2017
Melanie García Rincon
Melanie García Rincon rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2011
Laniese Grimes
Laniese Grimes rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Gulnara
Gulnara rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Ismael Samour
Ismael Samour rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Tati
Tati rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Adrian Jackson
Adrian Jackson rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Lisa Byon
Lisa Byon rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Serena
Serena rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2010
Rapheal
Rapheal rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2014
Qun Li
Qun Li rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2017
Michelle Tyler
Michelle Tyler rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2014
Sarah rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2015
Amy Thompson
Amy Thompson rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Her Place at the Table: A Woman's Guide to Negotiating Five Key Challenges to Leadership Success
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • Talking From 9 To 5
  • Hardball for Women
  • Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
  • Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (21st Century Reference)
  • Leading from the Front: No Excuse Leadership Tactics for Women
  • Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual
  • Women Don't Ask: Negotiation and the Gender Divide
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • Literature and the Writing Process [with New MyLiteratureLab Access Card Package]
  • The Go-Getter Girl's Guide: Get What You Want in Work and Life (and Look Great While You're at It)
  • Communicate With Confidence!
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women