Start by marking “Hazzardous Universe (Hazzardous Universe #1)” as Want to Read:
Hazzardous Universe (Hazzardous Universe #1)

Hazzardous Universe (Hazzardous Universe #1)

A guy who works in his grandfather’s magic shop expects weird things to happen. But Hap Hazzard has never had a day like this. First, a freaky old man in a cape who calls himself "Torval" visits the shop and somehow makes a trash can explode. Then Torval delivers an ominous message to Hap’s grandfather, upsetting the old man so badly that he yells at Hap for the first time

Published March 4th 2011 by Covenant Communications

Jessica
Mar 06, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This is like an old-fashioned sci fi adventure, something that would have been a movie in the 1950's. The aliens are varied and disgusting: giant bugs, pixie-like creatures with Jekyll & Hyde mood swings, you know what I'm talking about! There are ray guns, and visits to alien worlds, and fabulous palaces filled with strange sights and lots of silken pillows . . . which, let's face it, is what Edgar Rice Burroughs and Co. used to write about all the time!

I loved this book (which I was lucky
Heather
Mar 08, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, middle-grade
A high-action, fast-paced sci-fi story for middle-grade kids. Illustrations for every chapter make this an even bigger treat. Entertaining all the way around.
Nicole
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

I found Hazzardous Universe to be a fun, quick read. I really wanted to give it one more star, but I'll go over both the pros and cons in my review.

Let go ahead and get the negatives over with... I just couldn't quite make a connection with the characters. I'm not really sure why - none of them are obnoxious or unlikeable. I kept wanting to find a little more depth, a little more complexity. That isn't to say that the characters are two-dimension
Carolyn Frank
Mar 08, 2011 Carolyn Frank rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: kids
Author Julie Wright has ventured into the relms of Middle Grade science fiction with her new novel, Hazzardous Universe. In her story, 14 year old Hap Hazzard (loved the name), and a neighbor girl, Tara, are abducted by aliens by mistake. Hap's grandfather has always talked about aliens in the past but everyone, including Hap had never believed him--until now. Hap and Tara are whisked away from earth on a pizza-slice shaped space ship.(Fun concept for kids). They encounter a host of imaginative ...more
Garrett
Feb 17, 2013 Garrett rated it it was amazing
I remember trying to find this book a year ago but didn't have much luck with it (I was going off what I remembered the title was).

In any case, when I had a chance to buy it (and the sequel) from Julie at a convention, I made sure to do so.

It has been worth the wait.

The characters and situations were fun and interesting to read about.

It is a YA book, but I think adults would like it too.

Of course, I'm a little biased because I love magic and wish I would have written this story :)

Setting: The st
Robin Glassey
Jan 01, 2015 Robin Glassey rated it really liked it
This book was a fast-paced fantasy adventure that I believe middle-schoolers in particular would love. Julie Wright does a great job creating interesting creatures from other worlds and the illustrations that introduce each chapter help set the scene and enhance the reading experience. I was, however, disappointed with Julie's handling of the character Tara. She was often crying or seemingly on the verge of a breakdown. And just when you thought she was going to toughen up and learn how to fight ...more
Shelly
Sep 03, 2016 Shelly rated it did not like it
Am reading this to my 9-year-old son as a bedtime book. I hate it. The writing is terrible (Hey author, pronouns are a THING. You don't have to repeat the narrator's name five times in every paragraph). The sexism is keeping me on my toes because I have to censor every few paragraphs when Tara (secondary character) is in the action - all she does is cry and tremble with fear. And the narrator's internal monologue frequently turns to sexist tropes of, "Ugh, girls are so . . . "

My boy likes the st
Gayle
Jul 13, 2014 Gayle rated it really liked it
This was such a fun middle grade science fiction adventure! It's kind of a very basic plot -- kids abducted by aliens and then trying to do what they can to get back home -- but along the way they meet all sorts of interesting creatures and see things they never imagined possible. It's pretty tame as far as science fiction goes, but that makes it a great introductory book for younger kids. A couple of my kids have read it already and really enjoyed it. I listened to the audio book and just reali ...more
Katya
Nov 03, 2014 Katya rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. This book had a good plot, but Julie Wright(author) didn't really wrap it up very well. I know it has a sequel, but I don't think that was how it should have ended. The characters didn't have lot of background, and it was hard to tell if they were good or bad(except the main characters who seemed a tiny selfish, even though they were trying to get home). The book didn't talk much about the main characters families, except that it kept saying Hap's dad had cancer and was dying. Althoug ...more
Ryan Burt
Jun 03, 2012 Ryan Burt rated it liked it
1) Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Middle Grade

3) Synopsis: Hap Hazzard finds himself in outer space. Far away from his family and home, he needs to find a way to not only get home but save it.

4) Feelings: For some reason I never really get into this book. Maybe I am too mature to read middle grade books. Although I have never been described as too mature for anything. It still had an interesting premise. Quick and interesting enough.

5) Final recommendation: Probably a really good book for a 1
Karlene Browning
Jun 08, 2011 Karlene Browning rated it really liked it
Hazzardous Universe is a light, fun middle-grade science fiction story. Older kids and hard-core sci-fi readers may not be impressed, but I think it's a great introduction to the genre for readers, ages 10 to 12.

It's light enough that it shouldn't give anyone nightmares (not even the younger readers). The plot is pretty fast-paced, making it a quick and easy read. I think the characters and creatures are imaginative and interesting.

This was a fun story. I loved the illustrations. I liked that
Sheila
Mar 06, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it

There are great creatures and interesting planets to explore. Wonderful characters, Hap Hazzard and his eventual friend, Tara, learn some good lessons as they take a ride on Nana, the pizza shaped ship. I especially enjoyed the character of Mosh.

There is more of my review and other goodies at my blog, so please head on over...

Jessica Liza
Mar 27, 2011 Jessica Liza rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book - I really did want to. But I just didn't. I liked it, I just could never lose myself in it. Not sure why. I was annoyed how Tara was always ornery with Hap. I mean come on - you're on an alien planet and you still want to be ornery with the only other friend you have?!? Kind of drove me crazy. But it was a fun story. It's definitely set up for a sequel though. Also annoying!! ;) haha
Rheannon
May 09, 2011 Rheannon rated it really liked it
If there was a 3 and a half, this book deserved it. It was really good, but I never really got into it until the very end. The story and writing I thought was more for 5th and 6th graders, but I thought the plot was a little hard to follow(although that might have been because I wasn't paying attention during the beginning).
Mark Smiley
Apr 06, 2015 Mark Smiley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Julie's romance novels more. This is a book for younger children, plausibly set in a universe where aliens abduct earthlings accidently. A whole series of adventures occur, none of which are too unbelievable. The drawings in the book are magnificent and Julie really leaves plenty of room open for sequels care there any? I am not sure.
Sherwin
Oct 17, 2011 Sherwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
It was a fun read although it took a while to get going. I look forward to reading the rest of this series. Highly encourage for kids that love series. Good, clean, interesting story. The main character needed to get past his problems sooner but other than that it was a good read.
Anastasia Bolinder
This book is absolutely fantastic! The characters, plot and imagination makes this a page turning thrill ride where you don't want to leave the characters behind.

I highly recommend this book for any young adult or adult looking for a good time in the awesomeness of this book.
Breanna
Jun 07, 2011 Breanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lds-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. If I had known that it was going to be part of a series I probably would not have read it, though. Now I'm curious about what happens next and I have no clue when the next book is coming out. Hmmm...
Tyler Whitesides
Mar 14, 2011 Tyler Whitesides rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Great ensemble of characters with fun and contrasting personalities. Fantastic illustrations that really complimented the storyline so well. I will be anxious to find out what happens to Hap Hazzard...
Debbie
Nov 08, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. It was funny in a lot of parts. I liked that people didn't believe the main characters when they said that they had been kidnapped by aliens. I look forward to reading future stories in this series. My daughter also liked this book.
Graham Bradley
Feb 14, 2015 Graham Bradley rated it really liked it
At first I wasn't sure about the mixing of magic and sci-fi in a 1950's-esque story, but it came together really well and put together some interesting stakes for the next one. It ended up being a book that I'm glad I have for my boys to read when they are old enough.
LuAnn
Jun 08, 2011 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Cute story, perfect for upper elementary through about 7th grade. Fans of Michael Vey will like it. I didn't buy that the MC was 14 though. Reads more like a 12-year-old, and looks younger as well in the illustrations.
Tenille
Apr 21, 2011 Tenille rated it liked it
Shelves: youth
It took me a little while to get into this book... but when I did it was really good. Great for youth ages 11-15.
Walter Peterson
Mar 25, 2012 Walter Peterson rated it it was amazing
I liked this book better than Harry potter. The characters were more believable and I loved the story. It will be fun to see what comes next.
Brittany
Mar 09, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous. I wish they didn't spend the entire time on one planet, but if this is a series it will make up for it.
Sara Shupe
Oct 27, 2014 Sara Shupe rated it really liked it
Fun middle grade novel. Clean and geared for boys.
Kristen
Apr 12, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
A very fun kids book. Good summer reading for the whole family.
Cheri
Mar 09, 2011 Cheri rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
This was not my kind of book so I probably shouldn't even rate it. I never really got into the story although I did read it through to the end. I am not a fan of science fiction type books.
Alex
Mar 11, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-gull
So, this was pretty much a kids version of A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... but not at the same time, because this book actually had a plot that made sense.
It was actually pretty funny too :)
Gkeller123
Apr 26, 2011 Gkeller123 rated it liked it
This was a cute book, but I am not really into aliens. I think middle readers who like fantasy and aliens will like this.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Dead on Arrival (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #2)
  • Ammon (Book of Mormon, #4)
  • Of Grace and Chocolate
  • The Kindling (Middle School Magic #1)
  • Searching for Super
  • Paige (The Newport Ladies Book Club)
  • Abish Mother of Faith
  • Dangerous Connections
  • Garden Plot
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Bullies in the Headlights
  • Timeless Moments (Timeless Moments, #1)
  • Angels Don't Knock!
Julie Wright wrote her first book when she was fifteen. She's written over twenty novels since then. She is represented by Sara Crowe. She is a Whitney Awards winner for best romance with her book Cross My Heart and a Crown Heart recipient for the novel The Fortune Café.

She has one husband, three kids, one dog, and a varying amount of fish, frogs, and salamanders (depending on attrition).

She loves
More about Julie Wright...

Hazzardous Universe (2 books)
  • The Magician's Last Words (Hazzardous Universe, #2)