American Rhapsody

American Rhapsody

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Setting: Washington, D.C., Hollywood, and the landscape of the American Republic.The Stars: Bill and Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush, Al Gore, John McCain, Ken Starr, and Monica Lewinsky.

The Supporting Players: Warren Beatty, James Carville, Bob Packwood, Sharon Stone, Larry Flynt, Vernon Jordan, Linda Tripp, and Matt Drudge with cameos by Richard Nixon, Farrah Fawcett...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published August 22nd 2000 by New Millennium Entertainment (CA) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about American Rhapsody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Rhapsody

Larry Retzack
Mar 22, 2008 Larry Retzack rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Hunter Thompson fan.
Anyone who's a Hunter Thompson fan of gonzo journalism will love this book. I'd never heard of it but came across it while reshelving books in my high school library and it quickly pushed Lies My Teachers Told Me (a scathing indictment of the teaching of US history in America) to the back burner.

Joe Eszterhas, screen writer of the blockbuster commercial feature-length film Basic Instinct starring Sharon Stone and her infamous pantie-less scene, provides a close look not only at the Hollywood f...more
Scott
This book is Joe Eszterhas' crazy-quilt of all things Clinton and Lewinsky, plus other political musings mixed with Hollywood stories and 20th century American social study. It's a unique book, alright, nonlinear and jam-packed with well-researched facts and crude absurdity. It's fun and a crazy ride, but I wonder if Eszterhas had to put up with any libel suits as the material on MANY political figures is brutal. I laughed many times, winced quite a few more. Joe is a brave guy, no doubt about i...more
Wes
Damn do I wish I could select 3.5 stars. But I just can't give it 4. That being said, this book was pretty entertaining. Which is something I would expect coming from Joe Eszterhas. Say what you will about the his (in)famous material, the man does know how to write.

Joe, as he mentions in this book, used to write for Rolling Stone, and that flavor comes through loud and clear in this book. Joe also used to work with Hunter Thompson, and that influence comes through loud and clear to me as well,...more
John Musacha
Believe it or not, this book created quite a buzz when it came out in 2000. Now, fourteen years later, with only 18 reviews, 164 ratings, and a site-wide rating of a paltry 3.19 (which is quite on the low end as things go on this site), it is obvious that this book made no lasting impression on American political culture. I would recommend this book to anyone still interested in the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal, if such people exist.
Vanessa
Aug 16, 2007 Vanessa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conservatives
Ok, not gonna get into a political broohahah here. And I realize most of this story, based on fact, was also ellaborated by the mind of the author, who is also a screenwriter ("Basic Insinct" and "Showgirls")... but the story of Bill and Monica, and Jennifer Flowers, and Hilary it's juicy and alarming. Who knew DC could be so sexy?
Matt
The only reason the guy that wrote this is famous is because he wrote that shitty movie Showgirls. The way he talks about it you'd think it was a classic. Maybe an assic. Hey-oh!! Regardless, it's an tabloid-y look into the Hollywood/political scene. Not good, but not horrible.
Claudia
Deliciously salacious. Irresistible. Social commentary and keen observations about the players in politics and in the entertainment industry; but emphasizing this book's value as social commentary is like buying Playboy and claiming to be only interested in the articles.
Rick Caster
Crazy politics book about the Bill and Hillary Clinton White House years, told by the screen-writer of Hollywood films such as "Showgirls" and "Basic Instinct". Hilarious and somewhat shocking at times....
Kimberly
The author is unafraid to expound upon his own importance and to continually make judgments on his subjects. May have been juicy when the Clinton scandal was fresh, now it just feels tired and overblown.
J.C.
I almost gave it three stars just for the monologue Clinton's talking penis (you can say penis on goodreads cant you???) delivers near the end but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Sparker4
Wow, wow, wow. My mind has been assulted with information and I may never be the same..... Got this book from my Dad and it is something else.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kristie
this book is an insider perspective on the Industry. also dishes on a few actors and actresses and that makes it better.
Wendy
Wow - the self-importance of this dude is astonishing. I did enjoy the penis dialogue at the end...
Roger Singh
Good book, very interesting topics and historical perspectives
Georgette
I enjoyed it more than I should have(as did Pres. Clinton). LOL
Judy
it is sorta gross and lots of sex in here...and it is so weird...
RK Byers
a chapter or two away from being an absolutely great book.
Liz
Loved EVERY page of it!
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Émilie
Émilie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
207903
Joe Eszterhas is a Hungarian-American screenwriter, known for films such as Jagged Edge, Music Box, Basic Instinct and Showgirls. Before becoming a screenwriter he was a journalist and has also written non-fiction books and memoirs.
More about Joe Eszterhas...
Hollywood Animal: A Memoir The Devil's Guide to Hollywood: The Screenwriter as God! Crossbearer: A Memoir of Faith Heaven and Mel F.I.S.T.