Imaginary Enemy

Imaginary Enemy

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Jane White goes by the pen name Gabriel when she writes letters to Bubba, her imaginary enemy. She’s been writing to Bubba (short for Beelzebub) since second grade, blaming him every time something in her life goes wrong. It’s never her fault! She doesn’t want to admit that her impetuous behavior and smart-mouthed comments often land her in trouble. And now that she’s a te...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

Ciarra
I loved the idea of this book. Most people think of having an imaginary friend, but I found that the main character, Jane, having an imaginary enemy was very interesting.

Although the book was a little predictable, it was still funny (especially with Jane's smart remarks, sassy attitude, and slacker mentality, which often got her into trouble).

It was a good short read, and I liked seeing how Jane grew up from 2nd to 11th grade expressing anger over her problems and concerns to the one it was easi...more
Sadgurl_13
i love that she ends up with the boy next door :)sharp is sexy =)
Emily
Imaginary Enemy was the kind of light story perfect for after you've read something dark and heavy. Although many elements of the story were pretty generic, the concept of an imaginary enemy was unique and interesting.

The main character, Jane, was smart-alecky and a bit of a troublemaker, but despite her flaws (or maybe because of them), she was such a lovable character. I loved how she was an admitting slacker and took being called "normal" as an insult (reminded me of quite a few people I know...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Looking for a fun book? This one is for you. Many people grow up having had at least one imaginary friend. Jane White has an imaginary enemy.

It all started in second grade when Jane began writing to Bubba. Whenever life would throw her a curve ball to upset her or embarrass her, she would sit down and write Bubba a letter to complain. Bubba was always there to collect the blame or abuse Jane tossed in his direction. Imagine her sur...more
Nian
Jan 28, 2009 Nian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
You. MUST. Read. This. Book.

I’m serious. I’m so in love with this book that directly after finishing it, I picked it back up and started re-reading from the first page. (What can I say? I had a lot of time on my hands.) Even the beginning was good, which is hard to say for most books I read. It has an original take, and its structured like each chapter is for a certain age (from elementary to high school) which makes it so good.

Jane’s been writing to Bubba, her imaginary enemy, since elementar...more
Lily
This book was amazing! I read it in one day! I was home during Christmas vacation. Before I left for home, I checked this book (along with 4 others) from the school library. This one, by far, was the best! The other four I ended up not reading since this one was so addictive! I've just recently checked it out again so that i can read it once more. It was written wonderfully; it painted a picture in my mind. All of the questions were wrapped up at the end, and it was full of life-lessons. Not onl...more
Koelbel TAB
I really really enjoyed this book. And I loved learning and growing up with all the characters including the narrator, Jane. The plot of the story is about a girl writing note to her imaginary enemy, who she blames all of her problems on. It is about coming of age and accepting responsibility and knowing when you did wrong. Jane and her crazy family reminds me much of mine and their eccentric neighbors sound fantastic! The story is very interesting and I love the unexpected turn when her imagina...more
Andrea
One of my absolute favorites. Jane is witty, funny, and my type of favorite heroine. The characters are really well-built and the storyline wasn't as confusing, but as simple and as enticing as well. It's amazing. I love it.
Goldie Marie
I read the first half of this during my shift at work where I picked it up. I LOVED it. The concept of the whole book is fa nominally original and creative. You often read books where the character leaves ou chunks of the history and has flashbacks, not the case here you read and get all the info from the very beginning, which I loved! I couldn't get over Janes' personality, most authors make their characters into a bright, over-achieving, smart-ass character, but not Jane. She is slightly dim-w...more
Erin Sterling
Jane writes a letter to an imaginary enemy Bubba every time something goes wrong in her life, usually because of her impetuous and smart-alecky behavior. She likes to act as if she doesn't care what people think of her, but she actually does care. Sometimes you're rooting for her, like when she raises a flag at school of a not favorable portrait of a boy who insulted her best friend, and sometimes you just want to give her a push because you know she's capable. There's a little bit of her in all...more
eXtreme
Jun 26, 2011 eXtreme rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young slackers and troublemakers aged 12+
A simple and light read sprinkled with salt. There are many moments when I cringe or shake my head at some of Jane's over-the-top decisions but there are also times when I want to give her high-fives. Though I do not like Jane much, I as a fellow slacker and occasional troublemaker can relate to her. In addition, Elliot and the DeMichaels were a joy to read about. Though Bubba's reply was long-awaited, I was satisfied with the outcome and the ending.
Megan
For me this was more of a 2.5. There were funny moments and promising parts, but I'll admit that I was underwhelmed. Perhaps this was because the book was a lot different than I expected. For instance, I didn't anticipate such a heavy emphasis on her younger years. This might mean that this book was just not right for me rather than that there were flaws with the book itself.
Ayah
This book actually turned me off to reading entirely for about a year. And I'm a writer.
Sandra McLeod
I loved the idea of the imaginary enemy--I thought this was quite an original concept. I also loved the quirky family next door with their passion for music, and I loved Jane's friend Emma. I think Jane's character could have been more fully developed, and some of the plotting seemed a bit contrived, but overall it was a fun read.
Natalie P
Sep 22, 2009 Natalie P rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12 to 15 year old girls
Shelves: ya
While some young adult fiction contains themes that can apply to older generations, this book is not one of them. I would say if you've graduated high school then you've probably moved beyond the age where anything you can learn from this book would be applicable. A mediocre read for youngsters.
Tarryn
I adored this book. It was amusing and unique. I'm an avid rereader, but I don't recommend this to be a second time read. Reading this again actually detracts from the original wonderment rather than adds to it. Still, this is a great book.
Emily
A good story about the struggle through life through the eyes of a little girl, Jane. I really connected with the problems she faced and the love she found. Simple writing and story, but, sometimes, that's exactly what you need.
Charlotte
I feel like the girl in this book. Always getting in trouble, and getting used to it lol. This book is great and super funny, I didn't think it was going to be that good, but I was wrongm, because it's one of my favorites :)
Dolores Zendejas
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's funny. Jane is an interesting character. It is about Jane White, who has to be interesting and normal to counteract her boring name. She ends up learning about herself and about others.
Monica
Strange structure. Follows one girl from childhood to eleventh grade. I think its probably best for middle school students.

I think this could work for fans of Stargirl. Its got the same kind of light touch.
Jerjonji
Third book by a Delacorte first time writer of YA and while I found the story worth while- it is far from what I write about. Is that a good or bad sign? I don't know!
Rachel
I thought it was a worthwile book. Some parts I love and could not put the book down. But at times I hated it.
Elizabeth
Wonderful book. It hits the spot after reading a bunch of deep and mindful books...:)
Avi
I really liked this book for it is very detailed, descriptive, and hilarious.
Katie
Aug 06, 2008 Katie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Really not fond of the protagonist and the resolution was clear by page two.
Ollie
Absolutely love this book! Don't judge by the cover..
Grace Hong
to be nice to your imaginary enemy.
Lizzy
Mar 23, 2013 Lizzy added it
good, very different
Sana
Predictable, but cute.
Ibby
really original and funny :)
Ricochet Wings

“I made friends easily, probably because I was spontaneous and average, which didn't intimidate people. It's the quiet ones kids are unsure about.” 6 likes