Start by marking “The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters” as Want to Read:
The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters

The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Who would you date if you had a time machine?

Lucy's love life needs a boost. When she isn't flirting with the gorgeous guy at the newsstand, she's daydreaming about torrid affairs with Lord Byron and George Clooney, anyone but her boyfriend Anthony. So she does what any sensible woman would do: she steals a time machine and tracks down the great lovers of the past. From Ca
Published January 29th 2008 by Plume (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters

Marjanne
I wish I could have given this book 2.5 stars. Overall, the story was nice (though I did have the urge to beat the heroine about the head for being so indecisive). She ends up with exactly who you think she will be, though they take a long time getting to it. My biggest complaint about this book is the time traveling. It was hard for me to suspend belief enough that she could just get into the time machine and end up exactly where she wanted to be and run into all the right people. There were al ...more
Chelsea
I read this immediately after "Bookends" and LOVED IT. I really connected with the main character as I remembered having the same conflicting emotions in my head while back in the dating game. I also enjoyed the message it gave, very "Austenland" in that reality never matches the fantasy, but that's okay. We can deal with imperfection in life. I also loved the fact that it showed Lucy's relationship with her boyfriend thoroughly, beginning to end, and they didn't just magically get together on t ...more
Jess
Sep 06, 2008 Jess rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
I loved the first two-thirds of this book in a way I haven't loved chick lit in a very long time. The idea that a typical chick-lit protagonist (witty, well-dressed, just out of a relationship) could, via a time machine, interact with Lord Byron, Leonardo da Vinci, and Ovid, among others, was fresh and interesting. Byron and Keats fighting for Lucy's affections was a particularly inspired touch. It was a charming and original blend of slapstick and trivia...until the plot started to crumble. The ...more
Moondust
I read it during my (extremely boring)summer vacations! I stumbled across it by accident..i was browsing through the British Library in Delhi and i loved it!!I finished it in a day (boring vacation indeed) and then re-read it slowly!

The story starts with a depressed Lucy who had just broken up with her boyfriend and unsure about relationships. And then she finds a time-machine which takes her back in time, to romance famous men in history...
I have never come across such a bizzare combination of
Alisha
I found this book to be surprisingly thoughtful, romantic, and good. It's not the typical thing I would pick up to read, so to be honest I was expecting to be bored. However, both my sisters nagged me, so finally I started it. The time travel element was also a lot more exciting then I thought, and I thought that Lucy reminded me a lot of myself(a couple years ago) with her fears and emotions towards commitment. I would highly recommend this to almost any woman, since it helps us to think about ...more
When I first picked up this book, I assumed it was standard chic-lit, which usually doesn't disappoint. I quickly discovered that the book is built on the unrealistic premise that time travel is possible. Not wanting to pre-judge, I decided to keep reading. The author included lots of historical information about the periods Lucy was traveling to and the people she met.

However, because of the time machine, I just couln't relate to the main character. Chic-lit heroines learn something about thems
Lavonne
I love time travel and this book caught my eye right away, even in the Dollar Tree store. It wasn't great, but it was worth the price of admission. What really amused me about the book was that I had somewhat the same idea once upon a time when I wanted to write. A girl is bored with her current boyfriend, even though he's a good guy, because he isn't romantic enough for her. She travels in time only to find out she actually has a good deal back in her own time. This heroine was a little whiney ...more
Ann
An interesting, if wordy, book about a woman with a time machine and a fear of commitment. While I didn't identify with ALL of Lucy's issues, I thought she was a very honest representation of what if. I did enjoy the book for the most part. I probably wouldn't have gone back in time to see the men she did - but I can see the appeal in each of them and I think she learns her lessons well throughout it.
Kimberly
Good idea for a nice, quirky romance with some historical touches, but it was just too drawn out, and Lucy is just annoying in her failure to see how great Anthony is and then inability to tell him once she realizes it. Too much like My Best Friend's Wedding and probably other movies that I am not familiar with. Just skimmed the middle, checked the ending and moved on to the next book.
Dana
The idea behind the book was great, but like many of the reviews I read, I agree that the lead female was frustrating, thinking one thing and always doing the opposite. Anyhow, I liked the historical figures that played into the story, even traveling back to the future with her. I gave it 3 stars for it's entertainment value and uniqueness, but 2 lacking stars are for her obnoxious choices..
Rosie Ellen
Not exactly your average 'chicklit' story, what with the time travel and all that, but ended up being fairly generic after a promising start. Too long to sustain the plot device, it got old and tired by 'Casanova' and was fairly predictable in the end. If it had been a 100 pages shorter, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more.
I bought this book in an old and very small book shop at the coast of southern England. As natively German it was very easy to read and understand, so I fell in love with the story and could totally identify with the protagonist. A recommendation to all romantics and realists out there, because that book offers both.
Steph
I thought this would be a fun silly read and grabbed it at the Library on a whim. It was, but had me so engrossed I finished it in a day. There is something about her relationships that grab you. My only question is, why would a woman who is brave enough to time travel chicken-out at the very end?
Deb
I picked up this book because I liked the authors name. But it was just OK, not great. I had a hard time getting interested in the heroine - she was kind of whiny and victimy. I had to force myself to finish it, I got bored about 3/4 of the way through, but wanted to find out what happened.
Monica
So far, so good. I like the idea of time travel so that is what got me interested in this one. Sometimes I wish Lucy would just get over her commitment issues and make it with Anthony but then the book would be over, so we will see what happens. I bet that's what happens-hahaha.
Nicola
This book started off with a cute premise but sadly got old. It is about 3 chapters too long. By the time Casanova came along I was was about to chunk the book. Lucy, although meant to be a likable character is really quite selfish. More of a 2.5 star book.
Tamara
Enjoyable, quick but as far as time travel books good, it was a bit of a let down. This book was boring at the beginning, interesting in the middle, and contrived at the end. Not an awful waste of time but I wouldn't rush out to find it either.
Jenine
I knew this book was a girly, trashy read when I picked it up. It was just a bit too ridiculous and obvious for me, and took quite a while to finish it because I had no desire to pick it back up once I sat it down.
Summer
Although preposterous, this book was entertaining and held my interest. Definitely worth checking out from the library if you want an escape from reality and don't have issues with things that can't really happen.
Carly
This was pretty cute, it would be a good beach read. It mentions passages from various literary works and has several quotes from authors (especially Byron), but is basically light-hearted and amusing.
Nenia Campbell
Reared on Byronic heroes like Heathcliff, Mr. Rochester, and Mr. Darcy, Lucy has always been a commitment-phobe who enjoys chasing after men who are, in the immortal words of Caroline Lamb, "mad, bad, and dangerous to know." That's why she was so thrilled to meet Anthony. Not only is he charming, kind, and considerate, he's also interested in a no-strings-attached relationship and just a LITTLE rough around the edges. Or so they believe. But as their one night stand turns into a two night stand ...more
Kathy
I gave up on this book; it was really cooky! You get in a time machine and the man you decide you want an affair with is Lord Byron? It was too weird for me; I gave up around page 100.
Stephanie
This is a fine book if you don't mind being miserable for the second half of the book before a totally implausible ending that suddenly supposedly makes everything better again.
Alicia
Story about Lucy and the various men that she meets from different periods of time. It was ok, but I was really to be finished with the book. Interesting plot, though.
Bridget
I just felt like the book could have been so much more FUN...the character has a time machine and has the most boring adventures in time travel that I've ever read!!
Ann Mulholland
i liked this book. lucy has a time machine and uses it to meet her fantasy men.....but along the way she has to decide between fantasies and real life.
MiMi
What a cute story! It looks like it will be total fluff, and it is in some aspects, like time travel and stuff...but the love story is so endearing!
Christy
Fun fluff!!! Completely outlandish (time travel bits) and eerily real (relationship with Anthony, family and job) all at the same time.
Elisa Wilson
Cute, not the most epic or intellegent chick lit I've ever read, but had a cute little science fictiony storyline.
  • If I Were You
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Lost For Words
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • Ready or Not?
  • The Nightspinners
  • Country Pursuits: Churchminister series 1
  • The Dairy Queen (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Triptych
  • Marriage
  • Sugar and Spice
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Phyllida and the Brotherhood of Philander : a Bisexual Regency Romance
  • Dot.Homme
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • Kate's Wedding
  • Blue and Gold
  • The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)
Deborah Wright was born in the UK in 1974. Her first novel, Olivia's Bliss, won the Poolbeg/Ireland on Sunday bestseller competition in 2000. She went on to publish a number of magical romantic comedies, including The Rebel Fairy, a modern version of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' and Under My Spell, a romance about witchcraft, with Little Brown. Her most recent novel was 'Swimming With Dolphins' (He ...more
More about Deborah Wright...
The Rebel Fairy Swimming with Dolphins Under My Spell Love Eternally The Celebrity Mother