Start by marking “The Xenophobe's Guide to the French (Xenophobe's Guides - Oval Books)” as Want to Read:
The Xenophobe's Guide to the French (Xenophobe's Guides - Oval Books)

The Xenophobe's Guide to the French (The Xenophobe's Guide)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Book by Yapp, Nick, Syrett, Michel
Published September 1st 1999 by Oval Books (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Xenophobe's Guide to the French, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Xenophobe's Guide to the French

Virginie
Nov 06, 2008 Virginie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am French and my first reaction while reading this book is that it needs a big update (the President is now elected for 5 years, not 7)!! I have also realized that it's funnier to read Xenophobe Guides of other countries than your own. This one was for me exagerating many facts. I believe that the authors tend to discribe more the countryside people in many instances, which is not always representative of the city-people that tourists will get to meet in Paris or other big cities (e.g. parisia ...more
Dora
Dec 08, 2009 Dora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite funny for everyone who lives or works in France, or is planning to go there for longer than just a holiday. However, keep in mind that it was written to amuse its readers and is therefore full of generalisations and prejudices! I wouldn't recommend it to children or anyone who would believe its every word. Many chapters very written very well, but I don't agree with about 1/3 of the things described in this book, even though I've been living in Paris for a while now. It's a ni ...more
C.
Mar 24, 2016 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to C. by: Another book in series
Loved "The Xenophobe's Guide to the English," so I picked this one up. I know everything in here isn't true, but it's a fun and quick read. Looking forward to reading "The Xenophobe's Guide to the Italians," "Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans," and especially, "The Xenophobe's Guide to the Californians."
Andie Ho
Contains mostly ham-fisted generalizations that should be taken with a grain of salt, especially since the edition I read is 15 years old, but is nonetheless an amusing read.
Mahesh Kondapuram
Nov 29, 2014 Mahesh Kondapuram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book, few descriptions written in the book were very true to my personal observations. Sad that there is no book written for Indians, very much looking forward to read.
Tom
Apr 20, 2015 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the guide to the Japanese, there's a you-had-to-be-there quality to it -- it's funny but nothing more.
Charlotte
Mar 13, 2012 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cartea exploateaza din plin atitudinea usor aroganta a francezilor. Sunt ne-numarate remarci sarcastice referitoare la acest lucru, ceea ce da sarea si piperul lucrarii. Poate cea mai amuzanta a fost cea referitoare la periclitarea celui de Al Treilea Reich din cauza faptului ca i-au fortat pe francezi sa traverseze strada prin locurile special amenajate. O lectura usoara, potrivita pentru o dupa-amiaza lenesa.
Gabriele
Jan 14, 2009 Gabriele rated it liked it
Et voila - tout vous voulez saver de la Grande Nation: The French believe intensely in what they call la regle: That everything that matters should be done in the right way and inthe right place and at the right time. What they don't like are petty regulations - about parking, smoking,k driving, hygiene and to be lectured on food!
Crissie
Great reading while waiting to be called for jury duty - explains a lot more about my attitudes than I would have expected!
Micaela
Feb 07, 2013 Micaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious look at French society & culture.
Gloria Di Stefano
Gloria Di Stefano rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Leila A.
Leila A. marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Joe Selby
Joe Selby is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
Kelcie
Kelcie rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Petr Kopač
Petr Kopač rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Katarina
Katarina rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Elena
Elena added it
Apr 19, 2016
Liane
Liane rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Eva
Eva rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Sheen Cheol
Sheen Cheol rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Lori Rosendahl
Lori Rosendahl rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Manal
Manal marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
TTH
TTH added it
Mar 13, 2016
El
El rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Elle Rachel
Elle Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Severine de Lageard
Severine de Lageard rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

The Xenophobe's Guide (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Albanians
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Canadians
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Chinese
  • Xenophobe's Guide to the Czechs
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Danes

“They have a very low rate for attempted murder and a high rate for successfully concluded murder. It seems that when a French person sets out to kill someone, they make a good job of it.” 1 likes